Recommitted Paddy Dow [OOC 2023] explored his options, but stayed

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Would be a pick in the 70s that we are unlikely to use, a future pick might be more valuable to us, frees up a list spot for Carlton to use on a RFA that might fit a need of defensive or ruck coverage. Just not sure who, if anyone would be prepared to take him.. Dow prob better than half the players North had running around this year..

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Whatever the pick is feel as though we'll accept anything that lets us bundle up our later picks up into the mid 20s. Jones Compo, Dow pick and our two 4th rounders for something around 25-30

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
So, according to AFL.com Blues are open to trading Paddy even though they value him so highly he's spent the majority of his career in the VFL.

He was a vg junior, nothing I've seen since then would involve a high draft pick in exchange and in fact I would say he's gone backwards.
No doubt about it. Never recovered from the total loss of confidence under Teague and Bolton. Showed great signs early days but he's a boom or bust pick now.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So, according to AFL.com Blues are open to trading Paddy even though they value him so highly he's spent the majority of his career in the VFL.

He was a vg junior, nothing I've seen since then would involve a high draft pick in exchange and in fact I would say he's gone backwards.

Where did you read that Carlton are chasing a high draft pick for Paddy?? This is more about Carlton trying to give the kid another opportunity, something similar to what we paid for Lachie Fogarty would seem about the correct value.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Where did you read that Carlton are chasing a high draft pick for Paddy?? This is more about Carlton trying to give the kid another opportunity, something similar to what we paid for Lachie Fogarty would seem about the correct value.
I didn't read that you are chasing a high draft pick and also didn't state that you (Carlton) were.

I did however state my opinion and that is all.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I didn't read that you are chasing a high draft pick and also didn't state that you (Carlton) were.

I did however state my opinion and that is all.

Without getting in semantics you said Carlton are chasing a draft pick even though we rate him as a VFL player.. There is absolutely no doubt the only reason he isn't being delisted by the club is because he is contracted, so the club are not chasing anything, just happy to see him go.

Apparently a really good kid, and lives with Sam Walsh so would be doing all the right things but for what ever reason hasnt worked for him after such a promising start..

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
Without getting in semantics you said Carlton are chasing a draft pick even though we rate him as a VFL player.. There is absolutely no doubt the only reason he isn't being delisted by the club is because he is contracted, so the club are not chasing anything, just happy to see him go.

Apparently a really good kid, and lives with Sam Walsh so would be doing all the right things but for what ever reason hasnt worked for him after such a promising start..
I'm so sorry for breathing. The fact you mention he lives with Sam Walsh means he is automatically worth so much more. :rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm so sorry for breathing. The fact you mention he lives with Sam Walsh means he is automatically worth so much more. :rolleyes:
You seem super angry mate.

Dow is a nice fella but the club DGAF where he ends up, they don’t rate him and he couldn’t even get a game when Hewett, Kennedy and Walsh missed in the final round.

He isn’t very good and after 5 years has shown nothing beyond that one great half against Freo at which point he predictably blew up and was unsighted.

Had 21 touches against Collingwood this year but you’d hardly know he was out there.

If North give us a 3rd rounder we’ve swindled them big time.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Whatever the pick is feel as though we'll accept anything that lets us bundle up our later picks up into the mid 20s. Jones Compo, Dow pick and our two 4th rounders for something around 25-30
Yup agree that would be a good outcome if Austin nails the selection, so much is riding on his draft competence and discernmen.
Almost all our recent past years late 1st and early 2nd rounders have gone bust.
Stocker, Cunners can’t stay on the park, Philp & Kemp who knows how they’ll turn out.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
TDK went Pick 30 odd, also brought in Kennedy with that additional traded second rounder.

In hindsight we should have taken Cerra or LDU, but it wasn’t a shocking trade and draft period. Sometimes junior players just don’t transition and/or their points of difference at junior level aren’t as striking once they are playing senior footy.

Quietly optimistic LOB makes it too.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
TDK went Pick 30 odd, also brought in Kennedy with that additional traded second rounder.

In hindsight we should have taken Cerra or LDU, but it wasn’t a shocking trade and draft period. Sometimes junior players just don’t transition and/or their points of difference at junior level aren’t as striking once they are playing senior footy.

What did O'Brien show in his under 18 year that warranted being a top 10 pick? Genuine question, as I wasn't following the draft back then.

He reminds me of Harry Morrison who is constantly joked about on our board as being 'vanilla'. He went with the very last selection the year prior to O'Brien.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

TDK redeems the draft a bit but to go in with 3 and 10 and walk out with Dow (leaving for peanuts) and O'Brien (just trying to make it as an AFL winger, let alone a good one) is a disaster.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
TDK redeems the draft a bit but to go in with 3 and 10 and walk out with Dow (leaving for peanuts) and O'Brien (just trying to make it as an AFL winger, let alone a good one) is a disaster.
TDK would go in the first round in a re-draft.

LOB has been disappointing, but he should make it as a player. There’s nothing preventing him becoming a ‘good’ footballer either, and his stats are similar to someone like Karl Amon (who Voss coached at Port) over his first few seasons.

It’s annoying Dow hasn’t worked out, especially considering the players taken after him, but that’s the nature of the draft. The best junior footballers in the country don’t always transition into good AFL players.

If none of our selections work out I’d agree with you, but grabbing a couple of best 22 players means it hasn’t been complete disarray.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
TDK a good get as a mid second round, LOB is a pass at 10 but nothing write home about.

Dow and SPS the year before as early first rounders have been flawed, in the idea, in their development and clearly in themselves. time will tell on that huge shuffle that turned bids on everyone into Brodie Kemp and Philp as both have been injured for years.

Still that entire list management area has been turned over and nothing we can do now but learn.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
TDK a good get as a mid second round, LOB is a pass at 10 but nothing write home about.

Dow and SPS the year before as early first rounders have been flawed, in the idea, in their development and clearly in themselves. time will tell on that huge shuffle that turned bids on everyone into Brodie Kemp and Philp as both have been injured for years.

Still that entire list management area has been turned over and nothing we can do now but learn.
Carlton had the best draft since 2004 in 2015 and largely botched it before and since (a few obvious exceptions). 2015 was so good that it hasn't really mattered although they would be scary good if SPS and Dow came off.

Back