Delisted Paddy McCartin [DFA, delisted in 2019]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should Gold Coast be compensated because they are ******* shithouse?

Im much more comfortable with teams getting compensation for players who medically retire then giving some team a pick because they are useless at drafting for example

This is a poor argument - I am not supportive of compensation or additional priority selections under any circumstances and have never stated that I am.

How do you define a 'medical retirement'?

Technically Matthew Richardson retired at 34 with a hamstring injury. You could argue that several players do. Brett Deledio and his calf?

If you can't get on the park then it's unfortunate and too bad for the club/individual. Combination of bad luck and/or poor management of the player.

How long does that stay valid for ..? For example someone like Menegola had to be drafted?

Menegola was before the current rules came in.

Paddy is a free agent as Menegola would be if in the draft now.

If getting back and having an AFL career is his dream, who are we to tell him he should “look after himself”.

if i was in his position, i’d be same, going at it 100% so i wouldn’t have to spend a second of the rest of my life wondering what might have been if i gave it a second crack.

i hope hes able to get the most out of this second chance.

If he wanted to get out of Melbourne, for a fresh start, I would not be averse to WC picking him up. Kennedy is getting on and we need a #1 forward for Darling to work off.

Sure I’m in the minority, but I was a fan of his- I liked his attack on the ball. Had similarities to a young Josh Kennedy, stat lines were looking similar prior to the concussions at the same age.. I hope for his sake though, he has recovered to an extent where he can have some quality of life- sounded like things were really bad for a long while.

It’s the mental side of the game that would be his biggest challenge now if he is physically able to meet the fitness demands at AFL level. Trying to avoid that subconscious thought of getting injured every time you go in for a mark would be hard to get over I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The doctors would've cleared him after his 7th concussion, doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep going.

It's scary hearing about the long lasting symptoms he's experienced so far. “I can’t do stuff - I can’t go to the supermarket when it’s busy or go to a cafe with my girlfriend, or drive my car" he said.
Yeah I watched a doco on former nfl and concussion battles later in life was scary to watch!

I don’t think he showed enough before being delisted for clubs to consider giving him a list spot. If he’s serious about making a return he’ll have to prove he can get through a state league season imo
The fact he looked ordinary when he did play gets forgotten by a lot especially in the media

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Yeah totally agree feel bad for paddy I’ve met him a couple times really nice bloke but surely no medical professional would recommend it being a good idea for him to ever play a contact sport again

Of course not. There is a big difference between recommending and simply giving clearance. Recommending leaves the Doc directly liable, clearance simply states based on the evidence at the time of assessment he is fit to play.

Of course not. There is a big difference between recommending and simply giving clearance. Recommending leaves the Doc directly liable, clearance simply states based on the evidence at the time of assessment he is fit to play.
Yeah understand that but a doctor can still offer there opinion or advice can’t they? You would think at the least they would tell him if he was to have any further concussions it could have drastic consequences in the future I’m no doctor just my opinion ?

If he was still there late in the draft to fulfill our 35th list spot or rookie listed (depends on what the rules are) I wouldn't say no.

We've carried enough long term injury players that are likely to be delisted, if we get another one in the hope he can be half as good as his junior potential indicated, it's worth the minimal risk. Would be a nice counterpart to Larkey and give another target in the event Brown left. Certainly a huge effort to get back to AFL quality, let alone being good at AFL level, but the cost is absolutely * all.

If he was still there late in the draft to fulfill our 35th list spot or rookie listed (depends on what the rules are) I wouldn't say no.

We've carried enough long term injury players that are likely to be delisted, if we get another one in the hope he can be half as good as his junior potential indicated, it's worth the minimal risk. Would be a nice counterpart to Larkey and give another target in the event Brown left. Certainly a huge effort to get back to AFL quality, let alone being good at AFL level, but the cost is absolutely fu** all.
You don’t need to draft him due to him being delisted his available as a delisted free agent to anybody wouldn’t cost anything apart from a list spot!

I don’t think he showed enough before being delisted for clubs to consider giving him a list spot. If he’s serious about making a return he’ll have to prove he can get through a state league season imo
He played 34 games. Key position players often take time.

In comparison he kicked more goals that Josh Kennedy in his first 34 games.

He is talented kid, yet never managed to string more than a handful of games together.

He played 34 games. Key position players often take time.

In comparison he kicked more goals that Josh Kennedy in his first 34 games.

He is talented kid, yet never managed to string more than a handful of games together.

Not claiming he wouldn’t have made it I just think he didn’t shoe enough for sides to take the risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back