Delisted Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Paddy has been named at full forward for the Saints first practice game against Carlton for his first game since round 12 last season after multiple concussions.

Edit - have also seen Paddy listed at chf so not sure where he will be playing at this stage.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Paddy had 15 disposals, 5 marks and kicked 2 goals and 1 behind in our practice game against Carlton . I thought he did fairly well although he dropped a few marks he would usually take . But as this is early in the preseason I’m just glad he got some disposals which will help his confidence.

At this stage I’m just glad he got through the game with no injuries.

Thought he was a positive overall.

Still looks pretty raw with some of those drops, perhaps just first game for a long while.

Seemed to be targeted quite a lot, with mixed delivery.

Many think St Kilda spearhead Paddy McCartin would have thrived in an era where Gary Ablett Sr., Tony Lockett and Jason Dunstall reigned supreme.

The game is much different now than it was in the 1980s and 1990s, but St Kilda Captain Jarryn Geary believes the 2014 No. 1 pick has the tools to dominate any era.

After another injury-interrupted season last year, McCartin made an impressive start to 2018 in last Wednesday night’s JLT Community Series against Carlton, taking a handful of strong marks to go with four shots at goal, including two majors.

“He probably could have been a superstar back then (1980-90s), but there is no reason why he can’t be now,” Geary told the Herald Sun over the weekend.

“I am really confident about Paddy.

“He has done a mountain of work and is starting to work out what he can do as an athlete.”

Geary believes there is room for McCartin, Tim Membrey and Josh Bruce in the same forward line, despite the latter playing in the early game last Wednesday night, as he works his way back from a knee arthroscope.

“I think so,” Geary said.

“We have to get the structure right and, if we can do that, then I am sure it will be a big benefit to the team.”

Paddy played mostly at chf against Melbourne in the last practice match. Unfortunately too many times the ball was kicked long over his head which made it hard for Paddy to get in the game at times . But he showed in patches that he will become a great player especially if they looked for him more often . I would still prefer him to be playing at ff and get the ball down to him when he’s one on one . Maybe over time that will happen .

Is this the year budding key forward Paddy McCartin announces himself on the AFL scene? It’s what many St Kilda fans believe and what many are hoping for.

The 2014 No. 1 pick was the clear pick to be the most improved player at the club in 2018, according to a recent fans survey.

After an injury-interrupted start to his career, the 21-year-old has reached the end of his fourth pre-season in good nick and poised to take the next step.

Who will be the most improved player in 2018?

Paddy McCartin 35.9%
Blake Acres 26.9%
Jack Steele 12.9%
Luke Dunstan 9.9%

Still looking forward to this season.

Last edited:
Great to see that everybody is including Paddy in their version of our best side for 2018. I think it will be good for his confidence if he keeps seeing his name in our best side.

I still would prefer Paddy at FF and Bruce at CHF but maybe Bruce isn’t fit enough yet as he has had an interrupted preseason with injury.

Still looking forward to this season.

59u2zc.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone should explain to Paddy if he marks less than thirty metres out from goal then don’t pass it sideways , take the responsibility and kick the goal yourself . That pass he did to Bruce nearly didn’t come off and Paddy was almost dead in front anyway . Remind him that Plugger would never have passed it off unless he hand balled over the top . From that distance he should have kicked the goal.

Go Sainters.

This gives a little insight into the problems Paddy faces on a daily/weekly basis.

While people can legitimately question whether we should've drafted a bloke with diabetes, the fact is we did. And he's a Sainter now.

Clearly it's a fine balance getting things right so perhaps some of those who questioned him last week, particularly in regards to fitness and/or effort and/or attitude, chould perhaps cut him a bit of slack.

Former St Kilda coach Tim Watson says he can never criticise Paddy McCartin again, after the key forward elaborated on his battle with diabetes.

The 2014 number one draft pick spoke to Channel Seven last night about how difficult dealing with diabetes can be leading into a game.

“Going into a game if I’m nervous, generally what will happen is my blood sugars will run a bit higher,” McCartin said.

“If my blood sugars are like 18 or 19, it’s the equivalent of being really hung-over.”

After saying the Saints looked better without McCartin on the field in their Round 1 win over Brisbane, Watson has changed his thinking, after gaining a further insight into what the 21-year-old is dealing with.

“I was staggered,” the three-time premiership player told SEN Breakfast.

“That was a great insight of what Paddy McCartin is going through.

“I had no comprehension of how difficult it has been for Paddy giving the diabetes he suffers and how he has to manage that against his sugar levels, energy levels, training levels and all that stuff.

“I could never ever criticise Paddy McCartin again because I didn’t know what he was dealing with to get himself prepared to play AFL football.”

Former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon confirmed McCartin would never use the diabetes as an excuse for poor football performances.

St Kilda will seek to go 2-0 on Good Friday against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

Go Sainters.

Another quiet game for Paddy against Norff but he had lots of mates . The delivery into the forward line was disappointing to say the least . Paddy ended up with 10 disposals, 4 marks and kicked two points. Unfortunately he was reported for rough play for knocking over a player after he took a mark.

Go Sainters.

People have to remember Paddy has only played just over 20 games and he is usually playing on a defender who has played over 100 . He has to play in the seniors for the next couple of years while he learns . Playing for Sandy is no use as he won’t have the good opponents each week.

Go Sainters.

Poor Paddy just isn’t getting the job done. I counted at least 7 times he got first bite of a mark but couldn’t take it in one grab and he either missed the second grab or it was punched away before he could . He has to start taking some of those marks if he wants to hold his place in the side. Richo said our forwards didn’t fire but the players upfield just continued to bomb the ball to Paddy and Bruce but instead of putting it out in front ,or even to one side , they kept kicking it on top of their heads so they had very little chance of marking it.

Go Sainters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back