Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Paddy reflecting on his first game back (practice game V GWS a couple of days ago);

Glad to see him playing again, fingers crossed it all works out for him both professionally and health wise.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
If I recall the knock on McCartin at St Kilda was his lack of an engine, if he lacked that as a forward, hard to see him being able to play back

If I recall the knock on McCartin at St Kilda was his lack of an engine, if he lacked that as a forward, hard to see him being able to play back
Seriously dont know how St Kilda could even make that assessment...he has had a fair bit of time to work on it though...

Seriously dont know how St Kilda could even make that assessment...he has had a fair bit of time to work on it though...

Probably with half a decade of preseason time trials and GPS data

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
That's horrendous. Delist.

I wouldn't be too hasty to delist him - let's see what the Tribunal does first.
The reason I say this is that Paddy and Tom are close, and Tom is OOC at the end of the year, so we need to be seen to be very fair in our dealings with Paddy.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Hardly horrendous or conclusive imo. Seemed incidental doesn't look like a punch to the head to me. Looked like he was chopping his arms off and accidentally got him in the head. Could've even been an open hand or flailing wrist. These incidental things always happen when being scragged by a player in the heat of the moment, can't crucify him for it.

Trust he will get what the league sees fit, but a few things I do want to say and I don't want it to come across as defending the act, because putting yourself in that position is dumb.
The reporting of it is so wildly over the top it's not funny. Footage so grainy you'd be lucky to make out the numbers on the back yet talking like it is a clear closed fist strike. Inflamatory language like "sickening hit" is a joke. Comparisons to an incident where a jaw was broken and teeth knocked out. For all we know it was an open hand slap to the face seeing as the result was a "swollen jaw".

Have the media posted on article about the raised forearm of Fritch that was a deliberate fend off that could have broken an eye socket? Have they described that as sickening?

Last edited:

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Looks like a pretty solid right hook but obviously hard to get the full picture from that kind of footage. Pretty stupid thing to do and only has himself to blame if it impacts his comeback.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Intent probably doesn't matter because the end result is he clocked the guy pretty cleanly. I suspect he was trying for a chest punch and stuffed it up but if you're throwing a closed fist around at all then you have to own the consequences. Stupid and reckless at any point but certainly not great when he's trying to resurrect his senior career.

Back