Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

The strike was graded as intentional, with severe impact and high contact.

I assume we challenge the 'severe' grading.

Black was cleared of concussion, played out the game and no report of a major injury.

Under the MRO/Tribunal guidelines if it's downgraded to 'Intentional, high impact, high contact' then it's 3 weeks.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

I assume we challenge the 'severe' grading.

Black was cleared of concussion, played out the game and no report of a major injury.

Under the MRO/Tribunal guidelines if it's downgraded to 'Intentional, high impact, high contact' then it's 3 weeks.

The “severe” can only have come from a medical report, assuming no other footage.

He’s gone. 4-5 weeks and rightly so. You just can’t have people punching others in the head.

The “severe” can only have come from a medical report, assuming no other footage.

He’s gone. 4-5 weeks and rightly so. You just can’t have people punching others in the head.
If the reports of no concussion, no damage and played out the game are correct, there is no way our legal team won't get that downgraded. If there is anything in the medical report that suggests a severe grading should be employed the Geelong doctor may as well kiss goodbye to his career as he is effectively acknowledging malpractice in allowing the player to keep playing.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
If the reports of no concussion, no damage and played out the game are correct, there is no way our legal team won't get that downgraded. If there is anything in the medical report that suggests a severe grading should be employed the Geelong doctor may as well kiss goodbye to his career as he is effectively acknowledging malpractice in allowing the player to keep playing.
If Black has a decent lump and bruise on the jaw, that’ll just about do it for a punch to the head.

It doesn’t have to be concussion. The AFL will just argue, rightly, that if the level of force to cause the bruising would, if applied to the side of the head have caused concussion then that’s the level of force of the blow.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
If Black has a decent lump and bruise on the jaw, that’ll just about do it for a punch to the head.

It doesn’t have to be concussion. The AFL will just argue, rightly, that if the level of force to cause the bruising would, if applied to the side of the head have caused concussion then that’s the level of force of the blow.
This is the important bit. The effects of cte are long term. You may not have any short term effects now but long term it can be devastating. The game could end up being litigated out of existence if the right deterrent is not put in place. Whether we like the player or not the correct thing is a decent suspension.

Imo I don’t think this will effect McCartin getting onto our list, it just puts a hold on it all. The talent is there.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I did not like it at all.
I also don't have enough information to make a decision about it, but I think one thing we can all agree on is that it's a bloody stupid from a bloke hoping to get a second chance.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Well that's where the 'intentional' comes in.

Same as if you choose to bump & hit them high.
Ye I get it, but there's a big difference between intentionally making contact with someone but accidentally getting their head when that wasn't your aim, compared to intentionally going for their head and getting them in the head. You can't judge those two as the same thing.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Whately saying 8 weeks will be the starting point.
I doubt it. Gaff got 8 weeks. Broke the players jaw and horrifically had displaced teeth. Black got up and then played out the game. Imo I’ll stick with 4 weeks.

“The tribunal was told Brayshaw's teeth were pushed two centimetres into the back of his mouth by Gaff's fist.

The hearing was told the displaced teeth may not be viable and may have to be replaced with implants.”

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Imo the defence will be he was trying to slap black away with an open hand & then connected with his head. It’ll come down to black’s evidence, as the footage is not conclusive if it’s a fist or open hand. I still lean towards 4 weeks due to black playing out the game & does not have concussion.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Whately saying 8 weeks will be the starting point.
Whately also spent all day sooking about the non 15 m call against his team.

Not so when his Cats beat Brisbane by umpire cheating. This is why Scott won't say too much.

If McCartin doesn't argue that down to medium impact then we have a bullsh.t system in place, though he will be going through the VFL tribunual which may be different. But if it's under the same set of rules, then Black played out the game. High impact would suggest the guy missed the rest of the game.

This should be no more than 4 weeks based on the AFL system. The VFL system, who knows!

If McCartin doesn't argue that down to medium impact then we have a bullsh.t system in place, though he will be going through the VFL tribunual which may be different. But if it's under the same set of rules, then Black played out the game. High impact would suggest the guy missed the rest of the game.

This should be no more than 4 weeks based on the AFL system. The VFL system, who knows!

Don't like his chances one bit of medium impact. Best he can do is plead guilty, cop whatever, but it is out of character, so may get some discount of 7 down to 5 weeks or something like that. The potential to cause serious injury was in play here and that's what will hurt him getting it down to medium.

Back