Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Too high, can't sentence someone on the 'might' outcome or intent. Hodge & Lewis got away with way more for less.

He is not from the 'family' thug club.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

You can. Potential to cause serious injury has been in for years. But it does seem to have been applied more fiercely here. It certainly should have been applied in the Hodge incident and wasn’t.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought they’d get it to 4 Weeks but 5 is fair enough imo. He’ll still get on a list if he shows that he’s learnt from this mistake and shows enough form later in the year. Sydney could take him as a dfa at years end or take the punt in the msd in June

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Too high, can't sentence someone on the 'might' outcome or intent. Hodge & Lewis got away with way more for less.

He is not from the 'family' thug club.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Back then you’d get full agreement with me but the game has changed dramatically since they played. Imo it has nothing to do with the club McCartin plays for and more that he just f....ed up

So what I learned from the concurrent tribunal appearances. That if you are a reserves player the fact you didn't mean to do it doesn't come into consideration but if you are an AFL player the fact you didn't mean to gets you off.

Seperate to the decision making process, found the comments on provocation interesting that it only applied to "racism and the like". Someone might want to explain to the tribunal for future reference that targeting a player with a disability (which diabetes is) would most definitely come in under that same area. If they do otherwise, they will be dragged in front of the equal opportunity commission.

You can. Potential to cause serious injury has been in for years. But it does seem to have been applied more fiercely here. It certainly should have been applied in the Hodge incident and wasn’t.
Yes, that's right. You can. Which makes the fact the AFL tribunal tonight decided to ignore the exact same thing to let Fritsch off even more baffling.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
So what I learned from the concurrent tribunal appearances. That if you are a reserves player the fact you didn't mean to do it doesn't come into consideration but if you are an AFL player the fact you didn't mean to gets you off.

Seperate to the decision making process, found the comments on provocation interesting that it only applied to "racism and the like". Someone might want to explain to the tribunal for future reference that targeting a player with a disability (which diabetes is) would most definitely come in under that same area. If they do otherwise, they will be dragged in front of the equal opportunity commission.

Counsel for the VFL made that up. He’s wrong. Provocation can take any form, such as a squeeze to the testicles.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it’s the right outcome for McCartin. Now having viewed the Fritz incident for the first time, I might go check the odds for a Demon flag because that decision was wrong and they should have been grateful he only got the one week.

The Fritz one is just as bad. It was horrendous that the AFL never appealed looking for more weeks.

The Fritz success at the tribunal needs to be appealed by the AFL. There is no way that can be endorsed as fair play. The tribunal have done a disservice to the game with this decision.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought they’d get it to 4 Weeks but 5 is fair enough imo. He’ll still get on a list if he shows that he’s learnt from this mistake and shows enough form later in the year. Sydney could take him as a dfa at years end or take the punt in the msd in June
Doubt anyone will take him in the msd now. Not because of this but because of a lack of exposed form. He can keep traoning like extra preseason and see how things go.
Good luck to him no matter what.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Doubt anyone will take him in the msd now. Not because of this but because of a lack of exposed form. He can keep traoning like extra preseason and see how things go.
Good luck to him no matter what.

It’s a six month contract. MSD.There’s a spot atm and if it doesn’t look like anyone is suitable it’s a very easy situation of we’ll take you and you’ve got till the end of the season to show us this can work or it’s the other way of we’ll give you to the end of the season and show us if you can make it happen & we’ll take you as a dfa. And by show them I mean medically because in my opinion that’s the issue, not his talent.

As a side note I wasn’t a fan of using his bgl to explain his aggression. 3.8 mmol is lowish but it shouldn’t lead to that madness.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Swans need to be tougher but ffs they can do that through tackling, not punching. Too many Swans were slipping off their tackles against Geelong.

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I imagine that if the roles were reversed and Black punched McCartin in the head (with his injury history) then we would be calling for a season ban as it could have had grave ramifications. I think the 5 weeks is appropriate. If McCartin misses out on the MSD then it's not like he disappears forever as he still has the VFL contract to fall back on and the rest of the season to play out, and by then his form may tell us if we need to pick him up at the end of the year.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I imagine that if the roles were reversed and Black punched McCartin in the head (with his injury history) then we would be calling for a season ban as it could have had grave ramifications. I think the 5 weeks is appropriate. If McCartin misses out on the MSD then it's not like he disappears forever as he still has the VFL contract to fall back on and the rest of the season to play out, and by then his form may tell us if we need to pick him up at the end of the year.
Put in that context perhaps he should have received 8 weeks.
Having said that, the first attempt showed his intention wasn't to hit the head or face so IMO he has missed his mark badly & copped his due punishment though a bit short for some.
All done now.

I'm gobsmacked at the Fritsch reversed decision. How many contests are there in any round of football with 9 games being played?
How many of those contests have a bloke raising their elbow?
What a joke! A fist, an elbow, whats the difference? he should have been given another two weeks.

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
Fritsch

not FitzChivalry Farseer

It’s a six month contract. MSD.There’s a spot atm and if it doesn’t look like anyone is suitable it’s a very easy situation of we’ll take you and you’ve got till the end of the season to show us this can work or it’s the other way of we’ll give you to the end of the season and show us if you can make it happen & we’ll take you as a dfa. And by show them I mean medically because in my opinion that’s the issue, not his talent.

As a side note I wasn’t a fan of using his bgl to explain his aggression. 3.8 mmol is lowish but it shouldn’t lead to that madness.

Players in the MSD who have previously been AFL listed (such as McCartin) can choose to nominate either a 6 or 18 month contract.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Can’t say in the 14 years I’ve been with my wife that she has ever gotten aggressive or agitated in that way when low (she is a type one diabetic, amongst other things)!

Back