Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Mid season draft potentially
Surely we have first dibs on anyone in our VFL team...was he taken in the preseason one that Majak was taken by the Dees in? haven't seen any news on that draft at all other than Majak's.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Bloody Hell, we've snagged another big forward from the Saints.

All the best Paddy. Hope you reach your potential.

We haven't really as we don't get priority access to him in the mid-season draft. Still, if he is concussion free in the next 4 months I really hope we do pick him up in the midseason draft.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
We haven't really as we don't get priority access to him in the mid-season draft. Still, if he is concussion free in the next 4 months I really hope we do pick him up in the midseason draft.
If true then that's just bizzare. Should be an ability for the club employing to match any offer - a kind of restricted free agencty. North might be interested after losing Sideshow Bob, but Paddy can let it be known if he wants to stay and we want him I guess. If he gets a gig elsewhere and it's only half a season with the Swans so be it I guess.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't there be the same kind of unspoken rule as in the pre-season & rookie drafts, where other clubs don't go after a player that another club has made an investment in? ie. Alex Johnson in 2017, Jack Martin in 2019, and Jackson Hately last year?

JackSwans

Head Scout
Jan 12, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't there be the same kind of unspoken rule as in the pre-season & rookie drafts, where other clubs don't go after a player that another club has made an investment in? ie. Alex Johnson in 2017, Jack Martin in 2019, and Jackson Hately last year?
Correct, but also given Paddy's completely relocated, clubs will speak to him and you'd imagine that he'd repay the Swans by telling them that he wants to stay, football clubs don't tend to draft players that don't want to join them.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

I doubt it scum clubs like essendon won't care

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Correct, but also given Paddy's completely relocated, clubs will speak to him and you'd imagine that he'd repay the Swans by telling them that he wants to stay, football clubs don't tend to draft players that don't want to join them.

If a club needs a tall and paddy is kicking bags the will go for it imho

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Hypothetical here!
Perhaps no other teams' insurance company were prepared to take any risk on such a player with concussion history without a huge premium.

I give you
1613715903497.png

;);)

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Definitely an unspoken rule, but there is absolutely nothing stopping any other club from taking him.

Definitely an unspoken rule, but there is absolutely nothing stopping any other club from taking him.

Yeah that's true.

I imagine that's the risk the club was prepared to take. It's not like we get nothing out of him if he ends up at another club. As he mentioned in his interview, he will still be an asset for our VFL side.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
With his medical history, no club would want to be attached to “snatching” him from the swans. They’d be absolutely ridiculed, in the worst kind of 2021 ridicule culture.
If we want I’m, he goes to us.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Seemingly out of step, but not keen on Paddy's signing.

35 games from his debut in 2015 to his delisting at the end of 2019. 8 separate concussions.

McCartin’s most recent concussion, which he suffered against the Western Bulldogs during the JLT Community Series, has left him battling light sensitivity, “really bad” headaches which then cause sleep deprivation, dizzy spells and bouts of depression.
“I can’t do stuff - I can’t go to the supermarket when it’s busy or go to a cafe with my girlfriend, or drive my car..... the most recent incident has made him “a shell of the person” that he was."

Sure he has got the 'all clear', but what happens when he gets his next knock to his head?
Sometimes a person has to be protected from themself.
And I hope we took legal advice, to protect ourselves, if it goes pear-shaped.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Hypothetical here!
Perhaps no other teams' insurance company were prepared to take any risk on such a player with concussion history without a huge premium.

I give you
View attachment 1061189
;);)

All AFL Players have their total and permanent disability insurance issued as a group via the AFLPA's insurance tender process to keep their premiums down as risk factors are spread by the group and not borne by any one individual. The last tender was awarded to One Path, which is owned by Zurich and includes cover for the effects of concussion.

Players can seek individual insurance but teams don't get involved and in Paddy's case, he would be worse off doing so as his premium would be much higher than under the AFLPA's cover as his risk factors would be well known and factored into any policy he could get and underwriters may likely exclude him from claiming for anything concussion related.

Seemingly out of step, but not keen on Paddy's signing.

35 games from his debut in 2015 to his delisting at the end of 2019. 8 separate concussions.

Sure he has got the 'all clear', but what happens when he gets his next knock to his head?
Sometimes a person has to be protected from themself.
And I hope we took legal advice, to protect ourselves, if it goes pear-shaped.

The problem though is that nobody can stop Paddy himself from doing what he loves. If he's not doing it at the AFL level, or even state league level, where they have access to the best resources to help him should something go wrong, then he'll just be doing the same thing, but at some local club without those resources.

So I think in an inadvertent way, we are protecting Paddy from himself by giving him the safest pathway possible to do what he wants to do.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
When is the deadline for the supplementary signings or have we passed that. I wasn’t sold on mccartin at first but he looks to be in better condition than he was throughout his career. Shows a high level of dedication. Worth a rookie spot at least

Back