Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a given he's going to be out for a significant amount of weeks.

The club will most likely have to make a decision based on what they've seen so far, and whether the ill discipline shown gives them pause.

Not that I’m saying it wasn’t awful and I’m happy Aaron Black is okay. It is completely out of character for McCartin who just doesn’t seem that type of bloke.

Don't like his chances one bit of medium impact. Best he can do is plead guilty, cop whatever, but it is out of character, so may get some discount of 7 down to 5 weeks or something like that. The potential to cause serious injury was in play here and that's what will hurt him getting it down to medium.
But he didn't. He was lucky that he didn't, but he didn't.
Sticking a leg out for tripping can have a serious impact to a player but if it doesn't, it's a fine.

Look he'll probably get 6-8 because that's what the 'angels' are asking for. A 4 week suspension is no short punishment but IMO it should be no more than that for an action that still allowed the player that was 'hit' to play out the whole match.

If it's 6-8 for that, then what would it have been if Black's jaw was broken & he had to sit out 6 or so weeks?
12-14 weeks? It just doesn't match up with anything else that has gone down in the last 5 or so years since the new report rules came into effect.

But he didn't. He was lucky that he didn't, but he didn't.
Sticking a leg out for tripping can have a serious impact to a player but if it doesn't, it's a fine.

Look he'll probably get 6-8 because that's what the 'angels' are asking for. A 4 week suspension is no short punishment but IMO it should be no more than that for an action that still allowed the player that was 'hit' to play out the whole match.

If it's 6-8 for that, then what would it have been if Black's jaw was broken & he had to sit out 6 or so weeks?
12-14 weeks? It just doesn't match up with anything else that has gone down in the last 5 or so years since the new report rules came into effect.

I don't mind something in between the two. He's not getting 8, and 3 weeks is too low. Something in between those two is more than fine. It's not as bad as Gaff, but that is only because he fortunately hasn't broken the bloke's jaw. I hate injuries and lack of coming into judgements.

The club will most likely have to make a decision based on what they've seen so far, and whether the ill discipline shown gives them pause.

I think he will pull the pin - I personally thought he was crazy to want to play again after what he went through...

I have a hard time accepting it being called ill discipline. Looking at the incident as a whole and taking into consideration his initial action to swat the bloke off and the second action being exactly the same, it's got accidental high contact written all over it. Intentional contact yes, he made the decision to swat him off but it unfortunately went badly. It was a heat of the moment exchange that happens in every game, wouldn't call that ill discipline.

I have a hard time accepting it being called ill discipline. Looking at the incident as a whole and taking into consideration his initial action to swat the bloke off and the second action being exactly the same, it's got accidental high contact written all over it. Intentional contact yes, he made the decision to swat him off but it unfortunately went badly. It was a heat of the moment exchange that happens in every game, wouldn't call that ill discipline.
Bugg got 6 matches for knocking out Callum Mills. Barry Hall got 7 for breaking Staker's jaw. I know it's a different world, but it wasn't a gutless punch to an unsuspecting victim (as Gaff's was, to a skinny 18 year old kid.) The twitter video is too poor in definition to have a clear idea of the exact impact. Paddy would be unlucky to get six weeks. Still, it was a stupid impulse.

Bugg got 6 matches for knocking out Callum Mills. Barry Hall got 7 for breaking Staker's jaw. I know it's a different world, but it wasn't a gutless punch to an unsuspecting victim (as Gaff's was, to a skinny 18 year old kid.) The twitter video is too poor in definition to have a clear idea of the exact impact. Paddy would be unlucky to get six weeks. Still, it was a stupid impulse.
I think it was a standard impulse you see in every game, this just went pear shaped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously a horrible situation but this could have turned clubs off picking him up if there were considering doing so. Might make it easier for us to select him if we choose to.

He clearly has some work to do to earn respect back but people make mistakes and should be given another chance

Black didn't have any serious injury and was able to play the game out which was a good thing.

This wasn't as severe as Gaff or Hall but definitely not a good look.

He'll just need to accept the punishment and move on.

There “but for the grace of God” go half of all past and present AFL players.

It would serve no one to hang him out to dry. Im hoping he can take the medicine and keep on with his career at the Swans.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back