Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Can’t say in the 14 years I’ve been with my wife that she has ever gotten aggressive or agitated in that way when low (she is a type one diabetic, amongst other things)!
Exactly and for Gary Lyon to come out and say what he did was terrible. Makes diabetics sound like uncontrollable nutcases when it’s so far from the truth it’s laughable.

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
Such a pity. He showed he was a class above in the two previous games he played.
Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. He’s shown enough to justify a draft place after 2 games, this short holiday could keep other suitors away.

I had a boss once who did. Couldn't control it. I'm Type 2 on insulin and get really cranky sometimes. Guess it varies.

Do you keep an apple with you or some jubes?

Removed Player Watch index since we didn't take him.

It's a shame.

May be a rookie draft option later though

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Article focussing primarily on Tom's return to his home town in Geelong;

However at end of article Paddy gets a mention;

"He was supposed to make his comeback last week, until we had to come down to Melbourne.

"The club sent him a training program for the next few weeks, so he's busy doing that in Sydney, trying to keep fit and doing a bit of skills work, so he's ready to play when we get back or if he's able to come down to Melbourne to play a few games.

"He's going OK. He's a really optimistic and positive guy."

I would have thought a training program would have been the go when he was suspended and that it would have been far more beneficial getting games into him in the 'Melbourne hub' now that he is available again. :rolleyes:

I'm fairly sure Paddy would have been happy to put his 'Sydney life' on hold in his quest to get back on an AFL list.

Article focussing primarily on Tom's return to his home town in Geelong;

However at end of article Paddy gets a mention;

I would have thought a training program would have been the go when he was suspended and that it would have been far more beneficial getting games into him in the 'Melbourne hub' now that he is available again. :rolleyes:
I thought he had another game left? We had a few non-official games didn't we?

David Zita reports …
Sydney VFL player Paddy McCartin is relishing his switch to centre half-back.
The former No. 1 pick, who is keen to reignite his AFL career, was close to best on ground on Sunday against Footscray at Whitten Oval.
McCartin amassed 26 disposals, clunked 11 marks and looked at home in defence.
While no clubs have committed to McCartin, it’s understood his latest run of form has perked the interest of a few recruiters, who have been impressed by the new slimmed-down version of the ex-Saint.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
David Zita reports …
The former No. 1 pick, who is keen to reignite his AFL career, was close to best on ground on Sunday against Footscray at Whitten Oval.
While no clubs have committed to McCartin, it’s understood his latest run of form has perked the interest of a few recruiters, who have been impressed by the new slimmed-down version of the ex-Saint.

I guess he's learnt a few things from his brother then

David Zita reports …

His latest run of form....one game

Hope we take him though and he is keen for us as his preferred destination. Both McCartin boys come back to VIC and spend quality time with family then go out and both play blinders.

alex4445

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney

Hope we take him though and he is keen for us as his preferred destination. Both McCartin boys come back to VIC and spend quality time with family then go out and both play blinders.

It would be great to have him partner with his brother especially with his aggressive kicking which would so suit our current gameplan.

I do still have questions over his defensive decision making and his ability/willingness to consistently do the required defensive work but those questions cant really be answered unless he is playing seniors. If he gets through the rest of the season i really hope we pick him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

obviously he's an outstanding player when fit, healthy and sensible ... if he can develop as a key defender, we might resolve one of the few issues we have as we look to become a regular contender the next few seasons (i wanted to say 'dynasty' but will wait til we get these next two premierships on the board)

Can a mod remove the "on report" part of the title?

He looked slimmer than before his suspension, and looked good with the ball in hand as he usually does. However there was some defensive efforts, particularly tackling and chasing in the 3rd quarter which were lacking. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since it was his first game in almost 9 weeks.

SydneyBlood

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I saw some comments about the following in a different thread but am unable find it ... if Paddy looks good to end the season and is healthy, do the Swans have the inside running on getting him on their AFL list as opposed the other clubs? Would it done via one of the drafts or as a free agent?

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I saw some comments about the following in a different thread but am unable find it ... if Paddy looks good to end the season and is healthy, do the Swans have the inside running on getting him on their AFL list as opposed the other clubs? Would it done via one of the drafts or as a free agent?
My understanding is we can pickup Paddy as a delisted free agent

• A Player who at any time becomes or has previously become a Free Agent will be a Free Agent at the end of each subsequent Standard Playing Contract. Furthermore, they will be considered an Unrestricted Free Agent regardless of their ranking on the Club’s Primary List; and

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
He would be available to every club and we have no special rights (unless we can somehow squeeze him into the academy...).

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Good boy!
When you don't come in contact with people who have these medical problems then you are oblivious. I saw my first epipen on the course. They gave us a training epipen to use on ourselves. The trainer saw me use it first time. I failed. Said press it harder. Just goes to show people are all different and knowledge improves with education.

When you don't come in contact with people who have these medical problems then you are oblivious. I saw my first epipen on the course. They gave us a training epipen to use on ourselves. The trainer saw me use it first time. I failed. Said press it harder. Just goes to show people are all different and knowledge improves with education.
Surprised they let you train on yourself. Our training we never are allowed to do it due to muscle memory. If a kid ever goes down, you don't want to panic, pop the cap and put it to your thigh rather than the patients.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Surprised they let you train on yourself. Our training we never are allowed to do it due to muscle memory. If a kid ever goes down, you don't want to panic, pop the cap and put it to your thigh rather than the patients.
About 30 people on the course. We all had our own training epipen. I was probably amoung the few that had never seen one.

I just completed my first aid course and learned about this.

Lol. I was once in a meeting with three Directors of Nursing 30 years ago, Almost in unison two started furiously chewing an apple and the other jubes. The three all looked at each other in recognition and then had to explain to dumbarse me.

Back