Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

I don't think anyone else would pick him up anyway, but we should really consider it if he stays fit for the rest of the year. Even if he's not first team, don't think he'd offer any less than Brand, and probably has a higher ceiling.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I don't think anyone else would pick him up anyway, but we should really consider it if he stays fit for the rest of the year. Even if he's not first team, don't think he'd offer any less than Brand, and probably has a higher ceiling.

Is better forward cover than McLean and can offer defensive cover as well. If he is good to go it’s a no brainer.

He was keen to play down back and from what I observed early in the season he is a class above in that role. He possesses that indefinable quality of footy IQ that enables him to read the play. He is a decent mark and uses the ball with skill and intelligence. He is light years ahead of Brand and Melican.

Queries are the obvious - his health. But on minimal chips I hope the Club and Paddy consider it all an educated risk.

Traitor!

I wonder if this is just McCartin or will our other VFL players also get 'loaned' out? Guys like Carruthers, O'Connor, Sheather etc.

With our draft picks being smalls , i have no doubt that Paddy will be on the list and a tall defender in rookie draft today.
He didn't nominate for the draft. Will be taken a bit later as a "supplimentary" pick or something closer to Christmas

I didn't say he'll be drafted , i said he'll be on the list and i expect to pick up a tall or 2 in the rookie draft.
Ahh you did too, sorry. That's what happens when you read posts too fast before breakfast haha

Like any new player if they impress in the pre season comp then they write their own ticket into the senior side.

it’s not like he’s a complete unknown to the Swans now and at least knows the game plan so over to him. If he impresses in those three or so games then in you come, unless all around him are doing better.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Like any new player if they impress in the pre season comp then they write their own ticket into the senior side.

it’s not like he’s a complete unknown to the Swans now and at least knows the game plan so over to him. If he impresses in those three or so games then in you come, unless all around him are doing better.

Well he's pretty much an unknown as a KPD. There's no rush to bring him into the side, let him gain experience playing as a KPD in the VFL. Let him show that he can play a block of games at VFL level without getting concussed nor suspended. He's not like a new player, he's got a unique situation. Imo it's very short-sighted to bring him straight into the team as a KPD, unless we've got injuries to our talls in defence.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Well he's pretty much an unknown as a KPD. There's no rush to bring him into the side, let him gain experience playing as a KPD in the VFL. Let him show that he can play a block of games at VFL level without getting concussed nor suspended. He's not like a new player, he's got a unique situation. Imo it's very short-sighted to bring him straight into the team as a KPD, unless we've got injuries to our talls in defence.
What i'm saying is no need to rush whether he will be picked , only just started pre season

He has been the least rushed player in Swans history not sure why you would be worried about the Swans rushing him into round 1 they have been ultra conservative with his inclusion, he still isn't even on the list yet. They have taken the absolute lowest risk with him so far and covid has impacted his opportunity at the same rate as everyone else and his stupidity. Not sure what you are so worried about. If he shows some form in that role he can come in round 1 if he looks the goods and get the most valuable exposure against the best forwards alongside the best backs helping him. If he's training well and showing something then he has every right to be selected round 1. Maybe they will ease him in up forward as well. Good luck to him hope he grabs the opportunity it's been a long road to get back and deserves some luck and maybe owes a few for his brain fart last season.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Something strange going on with this , could even be a money issue .
Or it could be that the Supplementary Selection Period (SSP), when he will be added, hasn't opened yet.
And he couldn't be taken in the National or rookie drafts as he didn't nominate, to ensure he could walk to Sydney in the SSP.

Back