Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

Or it could be that the Supplementary Selection Period (SSP), when he will be added, hasn't opened yet.
And he couldn't be taken in the National or rookie drafts as he didn't nominate, to ensure he could walk to Sydney in the SSP.
Not allowed to say i've a source , but i was told it was done and then nothing has happened which they find strange. As i posted it might be a debate over money.

Not allowed to say i've a source , but i was told it was done and then nothing has happened which they find strange. As i posted it might be a debate over money.
I don't mind if we really rate him, to give him a little bit more than a rookie wage, but it's up to him to show he's worth more and can be rewarded with a new deal in time. I'd be surprised if he wants a lot, and I'd be telling him he can look elsewhere if he was.

"The Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period (SSP) will operate as per 2020 but will not commence until January 6, 2020 and conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season."

We legally can't sign him until January the 6th.

But he can train and play in intraclub matches with us.

I don't mind if we really rate him, to give him a little bit more than a rookie wage, but it's up to him to show he's worth more and can be rewarded with a new deal in time. I'd be surprised if he wants a lot, and I'd be telling him he can look elsewhere if he was.
He has a lot to prove. I don't see clubs lining up to take him. He may have better offer elsewhere in the VFL or other leagues.
Sometimes you need to take a step back to take 3 steps forward. I sense this is his opportunity. He can gain exposure and prove his worth ot not. To haggle over money at this stage of his development as an AFL player is absurd.

He has a lot to prove. I don't see clubs lining up to take him. He may have better offer elsewhere in the VFL or other leagues.
Sometimes you need to take a step back to take 3 steps forward. I sense this is his opportunity. He can gain exposure and prove his worth ot not. To haggle over money at this stage of his development as an AFL player is absurd.
I never said haggle or a problem , just could be part of the discussion that's all . I will be very happy if we pick him up , players like him don't fall out of trees . The good thing is that we have a spot if we go ahead with him

Delisted or traded to Richmond?
I was 9 at the time, and barely just become a Swans fan, but Wikipedia tells me he turned down an offer and got picked up by the Tigers in the PSD. And the other place I got the Pick 1s from said Delisted too.

I was 9 at the time, and barely just become a Swans fan, but Wikipedia tells me he turned down an offer and got picked up by the Tigers in the PSD. And the other place I got the Pick 1s from said Delisted too.
You youngsters have got the Google on your computer. I probably should have looked it up but all I remember is that he couldn't wait to be out of the Swans and back to Melbourne. See also A. Rocca and S. Grant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You youngsters have got the Google on your computer. I probably should have looked it up but all I remember is that he couldn't wait to be out of the Swans and back to Melbourne. See also A. Rocca and S. Grant.
So the google machine has age restrictions now?!!
That seems harsh …

Last edited:
Somehow got Maxfield in the same pre-season draft in 1996 tho when Gaspar left us, so all was well.

AFL have confirmed this season's dates for the Supplementary Selection Period.
Clubs have been advised the SSP will take place from Monday January 10 to Wednesday March 9, 2022
So that's the earliest Paddy can be picked up.

Criteria for Paddy's selection in the SPP;
Players must have previously been on the list of a Club (not required to nominate for the most recent Draft) refers to the following situations:
  • A Delisted Player
    Note: A Player delisted by a club cannot be reselected in the SSP or MSRD by the same Club in the period immediately following their delisting unless they nominated for the most recent Draft
  • A Retired Player and/or a Player who has delisted themselves and has not been on an AFL list for one year or more.

Criteria for clubs;
A club is eligible to select a Rookie Player during the SSP or MSRD as follows:

If a club has a rookie list spot available
If a player suffers a year-ending injury or retires, the player can be placed on the Inactive List and be replaced by an SSP or Mid-Season Draft Rookie Player.

MSRD is the Mid-season rookie draft (scheduled for 1 June 2022).
Players who nominated for the recent drafts are also eligible for the SPP & MSRD,

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm leaving this here because it was genius but also so I can explain to future posters....

Please show each other respect. We do a lot of tidying up (removing posts) that many of you probably don't realise. We do so usually because the offending posts are off topic or part of an ongoing tit for tat between posters. If a poster annoys you then step away for a tic & take a breath... it's an online footy forum. Agree to disagree (or report the post if it needs it) & move on. Try to enjoy yourself, engage with a positive mindset & let's all support the greatest club in the world!

Up the mighty Bloods!!

I'm leaving this here because it was genius but also so I can explain to future posters....

Please show each other respect. We do a lot of tidying up (removing posts) that many of you probably don't realise. We do so usually because the offending posts are off topic or part of an ongoing tit for tat between posters. If a poster annoys you then step away for a tic & take a breath... it's an online footy forum. Agree to disagree (or report the post if it needs it) & move on. Try to enjoy yourself, engage with a positive mindset & let's all support the greatest club in the world!

Up the mighty Bloods!!

Agreed but also a lol. Love DeadlyAkkuret but he did cross the line with a Simpsons' post.;)

Meanwhile I am really looking forward to what Paddy can do next year. While the Club talks him up as an option back and forward, I see him as a backman. Last year he talked about how playing down back was easier for him. That stuck with me and if we pick him up I hope he is a rusted on KPD

Meanwhile I am really looking forward to what Paddy can do next year. While the Club talks him up as an option back and forward, I see him as a backman. Last year he talked about how playing down back was easier for him. That stuck with me and if we pick him up I hope he is a rusted on KPD
I really wanted them to play him in the backline at the saints after the first few concussions because it just seems easier for a defender to protect his head, I guess drafting him as a number 1 pick key forward meant we couldn't put him up back without looking stupid. I really hope he kills it even though St Kilda fans were reamed on his drafting and will give us all kinds of crap if he comes good. Good luck to the fella and hope he doesn't get any more concussions

I really wanted them to play him in the backline at the saints after the first few concussions because it just seems easier for a defender to protect his head, I guess drafting him as a number 1 pick key forward meant we couldn't put him up back without looking stupid. I really hope he kills it even though St Kilda fans were reamed on his drafting and will give us all kinds of crap if he comes good. Good luck to the fella and hope he doesn't get any more concussions

Well said. Paddy pretty much said the same as you about playing in the backline early this year. He played bloody well in the 2s as a KPB. Has footy IQ and a decent skill set. Pretty sure the entire footy community wishes him as well as we do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back