Delisted Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

I preferred Matthew Lloyd's comments found on our website. Much more insightful.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-29/loyd-lyon-praise-paddy
I agree that Brereton is a sea unt.
Its not to say that Paddy will be A grade, but there were moments in the Melbourne game where I thought he (and Goddard) were already A grade. I am rapt.

Dermott is an arrogant ******, so who really gives a s**t what he thinks, especially in comparison to our professional recruiters who have nailed draft pick after draft pick?

But I'll bite. His comments about Paddy reek of someone who is trying to get media attention and really doesn't watch AFL football. Not surprising given his (frankly disrespectful) comments about Pelchen and the Saints, but still, some awful calls made about a guy who just played his 4th game.

For what it's worth, as a 17 year old Paddy recorded a 20m sprint time which would rate in the top third of draftees, he did 20m in under 3 seconds which is considered elite for a key forward. His agility test would've had him in the top 15% at the Combine.

My god, the kid is just a top bloke. "I'd play for $50." "It'd be fantastic to be a one club player. That'd be awesome, but I'm just a small part of it. I'm on journey."

Loyalty and humility personified. He's going to be awesome for us. To be honest, leading up to the draft, I wanted the Saints to pick Petracca, but I know we have made the right decision. His work ethic, his application, and his personality (along with the talent that he has), will take him to great heights in his career.

Give him a couple more pre-seasons, and he will be one of the top goal kickers in the competition. Needs to get his body right, build more muscle and get rid of a bit more fat; but especially, he needs to build his tank. He has all the tools, good game sense, great leading patterns, strong hands, and not a bad leap for someone with that body type right now (his leap will get a lot better). And what a role model he has right next to him in Roo. He's a recipe for success. I am way too excited.

Paddy is a great kid. He is disarmingly open and chilled out. Reminds me of Kosi who was a great guy despite what people thought of his skill levels. Trout said he loved the kid after they recruited him, he has that effect on you. You can't help but find him loveable. He went around introducing himself by saying "hi My name is Paddy what's yours..." It sounded genuine despite the fact that even people who don't follow footy would know who he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great article
great read, kinda seemed a little forced like those draft videos, set questions, but not as much. Great read either way though, lots of good info, liked finnis question at the end about getting more competitive earlier in order to attract players and offer less dough due to the chance of success, though i think a longer build is much better.

*meant to quote cartel :p

Just watching Boyd play 2s I was wondering how many games in the 2s would we be expecting Paddy to play next year?

An extract from Emma Quayle's book was posted on the Saints website this morning. I put the text under a spoiler for those of you who own the book and haven't gotten up to Paddy's part yet.

Paddy McCartin loved to throw himself around but had a disrupted championships. Back from a finger injury in time for the first game, he had strained a quad muscle in the next one then come back in for the final two rounds, played just five days apart. He'd had some good moments, said Elshaug, without completely nailing a game like he had as a seventeen-year-old, when he had kicked five goals and (accidentally) broken the collarbone of West Australian midfielder Dom Sheed while diving for a low ball.

"He was starved for opportunity when he came back in and he's had some interruptions, but he's a natural forward. He attacks the ball, he's aggressive and he kicks goals. He needs to improve his body shape and conditioning; he's had diabetes since he was nine years old but he has that under control and everyone we've spoken to says he'll be fine with it. His skinfolds are in the 70s and he'll need to get those down but he'll chase and tackle. He knows where to lead, where the space is. If someone's in his road he'll take them out and he'll play for his team. He's a down-to-earth kid, a really natural kid."

"How tall is he? Would he be 193?" asked Richardson.

"Yep. Maybe a touch bigger. He's powerful. He attacks the ball. And 2.99 is his best sprint time, which is good. He's the sort of kid who's loved by all. He holds court and people rally around him."

"So is he a team forward or a selfish forward?" "Team," said all three recruiters, at once.

"He'll pass it off, he'll give it off. He's a total team player," said Elshaug. "I watched him in a school game where he was ignored when he should have been hit up, but the kid kicked the goal and he went up to congratulate him. That’s one of his better traits."

"Does he defend?" asked Richardson.

"After a marking contest he'll recover and he'll tackle, and they're big, powerful tackles," said Liberatore. "He's not as natural a chaser as some of the others yet, but he wants to lay tackles."

"He's up and about, he wants to be involved," Elshaug said. "He's the sort of kid who will train at Geelong Grammar then go down to the Falcons as well, even if he doesn't have to."

"Is he prepared to do the work? You're convinced?" asked Chris. "Yes. Absolutely convinced," said Elshaug. "And he's got three or four months to get himself into better shape. We do want to see some results, I think that's fair to say. We've told him that."

"Does his body shape actually worry you?" asked Richardson.

"No. He has the right intentions," said Elshaug. "It's more like,
'OK, he has diabetes, so what does that mean for him and who can we talk to to understand what sort of an impact that’s going to have?'"

"That's the medical side, and we accept that," said Pelchen. "But is he doing everything he possibly can?"

"He needs to improve his conditioning," said Elshaug. "But they all have something. You've got Petracca who's got to keep his feet on the ground; Wright, we'd like to be more aggressive; McCartin needs to tone up a bit more. They've all got their little issues."

"He looks competitive and he looks like he loves the game," said Richardson. "Does he have the desire? The drive?"

"He has it," said Elshaug. "No question."

"He looks like he's a pretty special player, on the very little I've seen," said Richardson.

"If he could get to 195 centimetres it would be ideal," said Pelchen.

"He's grown about half a centimetre this year. But he marks the ball high. With his reach and his timing, it’s like he's closer to 195," said Elshaug.

"How's his kick? If he has ten shots, how many does he kick?" asked Pelchen.

"He kicked 6.4 the other week," said Elshaug. "Last year it was a bit inconsistent, but he's worked on it."

"His timing on the lead is really, really good," said Richardson. "He's so balanced. You'd want to kick it to him."

"The only thing I want to be convinced of is that he won't leave any stone unturned to be the best he can be," said Pelchen.

"We've never questioned that," said Ameet Bains. "His family is very grounded, he's driven, he has a lot of support behind him, he's immensely likeable. He's selfless."

"I'd agree with all that," said Liberatore. "He had the finger injury when he went to Europe, so all he could do was the running. Paddy and Sam Durdin ran laps together and they didn't need a coach there telling them what to do – they just went and did it and pushed each other along. I think he's going to do whatever he needs to."

Last edited:
And while he's in his old town it's great to see Paddy get down to Kardinia Park and cheer the Joeys on to the Geelong Football League Premiership

image_11.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back