Recommitted Paddy McCartin [out of contract 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldn't trade him, but if by chance he does get Boyd level offers it'll be two first rounders whilst he's contracted, should it be next year, we'll have a clearer idea of whether or not he's the gun we hope he is, if he's not, then I doubt there'd be many offers, but a decent first would probably be the price, however if he is the gun we think he is, it'll be two first rounders, and probably change.

Again purely hypothetical, but if massive offers did come, then clearly the clubs don't have any concerns about concussions or anything, so they would not decrease his value.
Hahahah and you guys don't think 2 firsts for Fyfe is fair.

I do personally (unless it's a top 4 pick then imo it's that and something but not another first), but main difference is Fyfe is a FA and ooc, you'll note I said if his current level of output is his level of output when he's ooc he'll be worth less (still a bit but no where near two firsts unless they were 18 in consecutive years or something). However in the other two circumstances, being this year as a contracted player or next year as an uncontracted player but with a fair few more runs on the board, then he'll be worth the full price.

Main reason being he isn't that good.

Being contracted would actually work in St Kilda's advantage as it bumps up his asking price.

I'm not advocating it, as the Saints would back him to improve, but it might be a decent deal that could net them another decent draft pick. They could then grab Kelly with the 2 early firsts and still be able to bid for Fyfe.

Either you haven't really watched him or you're trolling. Although I suppose you could always for some reason be saying 'he isn't that good' when compared to the ready made key forwards of the comp, if that is the case then I suppose you're just not very intelligent.

Not sure who doesn't think that. The only thing stopping that may be an unmatched FA bid. Otherwise i would hand over 2 firsts. Just depends where they fall. If we weren't in the running i am sure we would agree that is fair value

Even if it ended up top 5? Interesting. I rate Bruce and would hate to see him go. But didn't think his currency would be more than a late first.
I really rate him. Dunno if I'd go 5 straight in a swap, think he's more your 7-15 trade value. As a Fremantle supporter you can see we don't have many goal kickers haha

He'll play every game for the Blues and we will be patient with him whilst playing games next 18 months every week.

I think that watching Adelaide shows the value of having five to six "true forwards" in your forward line, as opposed to make shift options that aren't consistent. The Saints have a very, very exciting future with McCartin, Bruce, Membrey and Billings and they'd be crazy to break that group up if they don't have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either you haven't really watched him or you're trolling. Although I suppose you could always for some reason be saying 'he isn't that good' when compared to the ready made key forwards of the comp, if that is the case then I suppose you're just not very intelligent.

Very emotional response. love it though

Seems quite slow, but marks well and is a good set shot for goal. If he can get his fitness up significantly, he might be a handy player, but he's far too cumbersome at the moment.

Might be a case or needing a few years or genuinely being a decent but not exceptional forward.

If you guys could maximise your trading opportunities this year you could end up with 2 or 3 more guns (Kelly, Fyfe). I'd much rather back a guy like Kelly in than McCartin, particularly when you look pretty set for key position players.

With this year's draft featuring an unusually large number of quality tall forwards/rucks. Mccartin's value would be even less if traded this year. Most would prefer a promising and athletic KPF w/o injury history or other illness concerns.

Mccarin wouldn't yield a top 10 pick at this stage.

Very emotional response. love it though

Seems quite slow, but marks well and is a good set shot for goal. If he can get his fitness up significantly, he might be a handy player, but he's far too cumbersome at the moment.

Might be a case or needing a few years or genuinely being a decent but not exceptional forward.

If you guys could maximise your trading opportunities this year you could end up with 2 or 3 more guns (Kelly, Fyfe). I'd much rather back a guy like Kelly in than McCartin, particularly when you look pretty set for key position players.

I would use unagile more than slow, off the mark I actually don't think he's that slow at all, just looks it, but yeah I guess we'll see, long way to go

Why would St Kilda put 3 years of development into him and then trade him just as he's about to hit the age when the likes of Hawkins and Lynch started hitting their straps? Especially when their best key forward could be finished up as soon as his next big injury?

Considering he is contracted for next year also, it wouldn't happen.

Because Kevin Bartlett said it on SEN so it has to happen. And he said Richmond should get him so it must be a done deal.

Carlton should make a big play for him so Weitering can go back. They'd have ample cap space. A high draft pick. Saints go into draft with 3 first rounders and a ton of cap room. Make a play for some free agents, can still draft a McCartin replacement as apparently a few decent talks in draft. Still have Roo for another year, Skunk Membrey, Bruce and young Battle developing. Makes enough sense to me.

Would be a top 5 pick still.

With this years draft looking like having some decent KF's, and some reasonable doubts over McCartin, I think my preferred option would be to head to the draft with the top 5 pick.

CFC will not give up this year draft pick in the top 3 or 4 vicinity , we'll have a choice of Brander, Hayes to classy mobile and versitle talls both well over 195 cm either would be amazing , or Fogarty , ( think Petracca, Stringer type) Rayner just class both skilled midfielders /forwards whom will kick goals and have high impact on games.
MaCartin would have to be much cheaper options to the talents available.
Considering the strengthen of the next two drafts he'll fetch between a pick 10 to 15 if he's traded in the next two years.
Only problem is in three years time , if he continues on current trajectory he may fetch much less.

Multiple pronged attack, as in most other positions on the field is the way to go.
The depth and balance between brute strength, endurance fitness and high skill levels the will win any team premierships.
The problem is its a fine and delicate balance very difficult to achieve and sustain overextended periods.
Go Baggers

I'm a bit shocked people are a little bit in denial what is happening here.

From Geelong, dating a Geelong girl who's father is a Geelong great. Health issues, form issues, not getting a game.

The question is what is the price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back