Paddy McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
First of all I want to put on the record that I'm a big fan of him. I think he has great hands, is strong in the marking contest and is, for the most part, a very good shot on goal.

There has been a lot of talk and speculation in the media recently about his future. Discussions like these often don't come up unexpectedly. My summation is there is a groundswell of interest from him to leave and there is (obviously) interest in him from elsewhere.

Is there a chance that he will leave St Kilda? If it is possible, where should he go?

If he does go, would Saints supporters be gutted that they went after Paddy instead of Petracca?

I find the whole discussion fascinating.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

There's talk and speculation because one person in the media thought it would be a good idea to raise it.

So the AFL media being what it is, one person's thought bubble becomes a point of discussion because most can't have an original thought of their own.

He isn't going anywhere.

There's talk and speculation because one person in the media thought it would be a good idea to raise it.

So the AFL media being what it is, one person's thought bubble becomes a point of discussion because most can't have an original thought of their own.

He isn't going anywhere.
Could leave for opportunity.

Already his third year on the list and he isn't getting regular games

(This is what's said about all our draftees)

Key forwards take years to develop.

Paddy is going to be a great key forward in the future with an improving Saints team. Just wait until their midfield develops and he gets some reasonable service.

66758240.jpg

I heard he's going to the Dogs for success.
If he's chasing success, you can count out Freo.

That being said, he's not going anywhere. Will come in this week for Bruce and will be in the side for the rest of the season. A media blow up started by the sh*t stirring Kevin Bartlett of all people. :$

Our board has speculated he's a good chance to come to Geelong if he moves. He's from the area, dating Billy Brownless's daughter (Bill himself suggested a few days ago that McCartin could come to Geelong) and best mates with one of our VFL listed players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt isn't going to be around much longer so McCartin will get more opportunities once he retires, even now Riewoldt plays a different role up the field which could still allow us to play McCartin up forward.

The main reason he hasn't been getting games for us is his lack of fitness to run out games and have a consistent impact for 4 quarters, when he improves that he should be back in the side. His VFL form has been pretty good so he might even be back in the side this week.

Our board has speculated he's a good chance to come to Geelong if he moves. He's from the area, dating Billy Brownless's daughter (Bill himself suggested a few days ago that McCartin could come to Geelong) and best mates with one of our VFL listed players

He's a similar player to Hawkins so I'm not sure that would work.

Are St. Kilda supporters concerned about his concussions? He's had quite a high number right? I hope for his sake that they are a thing of the past.

Are St. Kilda supporters concerned about his concussions? He's had quite a high number right? I hope for his sake that they are a thing of the past.
I'd be concerned if the club wasn't taking a conservative approach with him.

His diabetes management concerns me more than the concussions. That's tricky until you reach physical maturity and it's why getting his endurance up will take some time.

If he's chasing success, you can count out Freo.

That being said, he's not going anywhere. Will come in this week for Bruce and will be in the side for the rest of the season. A media blow up started by the sh*t stirring Kevin Bartlett of all people. :$

Didn't he get reported in the VFL? Might be missing a few weeks?

Funny how everyone is loving to stick the boot into McCartin but I have heard absolutely no mention of Angus Brayshaw - he was taken at 3 the same year, has had plenty of concussion issues himself and isn't he playing in the VFL currently not able to break into the first team?

Seriously everyone needs to chill, Paddy is going to be a seriously good footballer for a long time. It's pretty hard to crack into a forward line that consists of two proven 40+ goal players and quite possibly our greatest ever player. Not to mention teams generally don't make too many changes after a 75 point win and a 23 point win against a top two side in the league.

Sure, Paddy has some question marks over him with his fitness levels and to an extent the concussions he's suffered, but this kid hasn't even had a good run at it yet. Every time he starts to look like he's ready for a break out game he's been struck with injury, it's just bad luck. He kicked two goals in the first 5 minutes on the best defender in the AFL last year then broke his collarbone. He's 21 years old FFS, it's not like he's been in the system for 6-7 years and hasn't shown anything yet. And just to the guy above that posted about him going to Geelong, there is absolutely zero chance of that. If that idiot Kevin Bartlett hadn't opened his stupid mouth and said he should go to Richmond, none of this talk would have even started. So unless anyone has a couple of top 5 picks to offer to the Saints, I reckon they can forget about McCartin. Geelong just about the last club he'd be traded to.

Not really. He has had a few but I think from memory only two were serious enough to keep him out for the rest of the game. Club is being cautious with him, but I doubt they're worries about it. Otherwise he'd be wearing a helmet.
Didn't he get reported in the VFL? Might be missing a few weeks?
Got reported but not suspended. In contention this week and will probably come in for Riewoldt (if he needs to be rested).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back