• 1 week

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • 3+ weeks- he got off lightly

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor old Hunter gets his jaw smashed to smitherines last year but nothing to see here then Paddy Ryder stops and braces sorry 2 weeks eventhough a similar incident wasn’t cited 2 weeks ago! You couldn’t make this s**t up!

2 weeks is about right. He intentionally bumped instead of simply not bumping. Poor form by Ryder. He kind of played with a bit of spite on the weekend and as a result will now sit out for a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The frustration for me is the lack of awareness from Day.

With constant rule changes and the increasing awareness on concussion rules in particular, the modern footballer seems to be in situations that initiate contact to free up another player or dispose at the last second etc., whereas in the past you would be split in half, so disposals occurred earlier

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It’s not really a lack of awareness as much as lack of expectation. Players are now accustomed to not being hip and shouldered after they get rid of the footy - so they don’t anticipate it. Day didn’t anticipate it because he didn’t expect it. Ryder was 100% in the wrong. He will cop his whack and come back a rejuvenated player.

It’s not really a lack of awareness as much as lack of expectation. Players are now accustomed to not being hip and shouldered after they get rid of the footy - so they don’t anticipate it. Day didn’t anticipate it because he didn’t expect it. Ryder was 100% in the wrong. He will cop his whack and come back a rejuvenated player.

I’m fine with 2 weeks if this is consistently adjudicated across similar incidents but it isn’t and that’s where the frustration comes about. You can gaurantee a similar incident will come along soon enough and we will get yet another result

I’m fine with 2 weeks if this is consistently adjudicated across similar incidents but it isn’t and that’s where the frustration comes about. You can gaurantee a similar incident will come along soon enough and we will get yet another result
It’s no coincidence that Gillon has decided to resign when he did.
The AFL is a joke of an organisation. The AFL is a joke of a competition.

Poor old Hunter gets his jaw smashed to smitherines last year but nothing to see here then Paddy Ryder stops and braces sorry 2 weeks eventhough a similar incident wasn’t cited 2 weeks ago! You couldn’t make this s**t up!
I'm a St Kilda fan through and through, but the two incidents were nothing alike.

Not even close. Ryder was a day late compared to the Adelaide guy. Sorry.

One was two players in a fierce collision at the ball, the other was a late bump after an opponent had already kicked.

I wish people would stop comparing the two.

Last edited:

So Day doesn't step off his right foot and move left towards Ryder?

He's oblivious to all around him.

If Paddy chose to "bump" Day he would've buried him some time in to next week.

He doesn’t even make a full stride in the direction of Ryder so hardly a “beeline”.
And the clip shows Ryder changing direction directly at will, takes 3 full strides in his direction (making a “beeline” if you will) right at the start.Totally avoidable.

As I wrote earlier, i didn’t see it as particularly malicious just careless and that’s how the afl viewed it.
Not sure where the surprise has come from.
About 4 years ago the began suspending players deeming the secondary whiplash, if that is high contact, even if the original contact is not high, will be regarded as high by the mro/tribunal.

He doesn’t even make a full stride in the direction of Ryder so hardly a “beeline”.
And the clip shows Ryder changing direction directly at will, takes 3 full strides in his direction (making a “beeline” if you will) right at the start.Totally avoidable.

As I wrote earlier, i didn’t see it as particularly malicious just careless and that’s how the afl viewed it.
Not sure where the surprise has come from.
About 4 years ago the began suspending players deeming the secondary whiplash, if that is high contact, even if the original contact is not high, will be regarded as high by the mro/tribunal.
Right before the footage cuts out, ryder is standing over day, arms out. Whilst the intent wasn't to knock him out, the more I watch it, the more it looks like he has tried to exert some physicality

That's the problem with punishing the result and not the action.

English turns and puts the shoulder in, and got off because of the luck of the opponent not being concussed.

Flip the results of Ryder and English's actions, and English gets suspended and Ryder doesn't for the same actions they did.

That's a huge problem with the MRO. They're basing their decisions on variables outside of the offenders control.
But if I drive like a ******* and kill somebody, do I get punished more than if I drive like a ******* and hurt somebody?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Day doesn't step off his right foot and move left towards Ryder?

He's oblivious to all around him.

If Paddy chose to "bump" Day he would've buried him some time in to next week.

The more i watch the more I'm flummoxed by the suspension. He could not have done more to avoid injuring someone including himself.

I'm sure next time something similar happens all these stkilda (and Geelong for some reason, I suppose because it was a hawthorn player who was injured?) Will be steadfast in their belief that it shouldn't be a suspension?

Ryder absolutely had other options.

I find it bizarre that people keep making this argument.

Players in Ryder's situation usually tackle, smother, or just pull out of the contest. Or a hybrid half tackle after realising they were late, ie just brush past the opponent with a bit of physicality, just enough to knock them over but not a full tackle that would result in a 50m penalty for being late.

Essentially attacking player had the ball and defender was running towards him, and attacking player decided to kick. This situation happens constantly throughout games. And a bump is the rarest option taken by the defender.

Better examples of players who didn't have options were Tim English (round 3, no penalty) and Mitch Robinson's bump on Duursma (Round 1, 1 game suspension).

Paddy Ryder was not set with feet planted for ages like English. And he wasn't near a contested ball like Robinson.

English example was posted earlier. Here's Robinson-Duursma. I think it's reasonable, or possible that Robinson didn't see Duursma, or realised the positioning of his opponent so late that he turned sideways to avoid a head clash (which likely could've been worse, even though Duursma's collarbone was injured anyway). I would've given Robinson the benefit of the doubt here.

Nothing like Ryder who was running towards an opponent who had the ball, and then decided to bump after his opponent had already kicked.

Last edited:
But if I drive like a ******* and kill somebody, do I get punished more than if I drive like a ******* and hurt somebody?
Not really relevant to this context, so that shouldn't be used as reasoning for the decision.

If you punch someone on the street you probably get charged by the police, if you punch someone on the footy field you get charged by the MRO. It's different context so you can't use the same reasoning.

Not really relevant to this context, so that shouldn't be used as reasoning for the decision.

If you punch someone on the street you probably get charged by the police, if you punch someone on the footy field you get charged by the MRO. It's different context so you can't use the same reasoning.
Except in both cases, the result of the punch will impact the punishment I receive, no?

Ryder absolutely had other options.

I find it bizarre that people keep making this argument.

Players in Ryder's situation usually tackle, smother, or just pull out of the contest. Or a hybrid half tackle after realising they were late, ie just brush past the opponent with a bit of physicality, just enough to knock them over but not a full tackle that would result in a 50m penalty for being late.

Essentially attacking player had the ball and defender was running towards him, and attacking player decided to kick. This situation happens constantly throughout games. And a bump is the rarest option taken by the defender.

Better examples of players who didn't have options were Tim English (round 3, no penalty) and Mitch Robinson's bump on Duursma (Round 1, 1 game suspension).

Paddy Ryder was not set with feet planted for ages like English. And he wasn't near a contested ball like Robinson.

English example was posted earlier. Here's Robinson-Duursma. I think it's reasonable, or possible that Robinson didn't see Duursma, or realised the positioning of his opponent so late that he turned sideways to avoid a head clash (which likely could've been worse, even though Duursma's collarbone was injured anyway). I would've given Robinson the benefit of the doubt here.

Nothing like Ryder who was running towards an opponent who had the ball, and then decided to bump after his opponent had already kicked.

What were his other options?
He couldn't tackle as Day didn't have the ball, he couldn't smother as it was too late. he is a big guy who just couldn't jump out of the way in that short time. he just had to stand there an hope for the best and that is what he did.

He couldn't tackle as Day didn't have the ball, he couldn't smother as it was too late. he is a big guy who just couldn't jump out of the way in that short time. he just had to stand there an hope for the best and that is what he did.

His fault for being too late. That was his option. Smother the ball out your hands up rather than bumping

Make the realisation earlier that if he goes after day he's going to make illegal contact and risk getting him in the head.

Make the realisation earlier that if he goes after day he's going to make illegal contact and risk getting him in the head.
So any risk you might be late to a player with a ball, which is nearly every potential tackling situation. Just stop in case he gets rid of the ball so you don't accidently make illegal contact. You've never played have you?

Back