• 1 week

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • 3+ weeks- he got off lightly

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The more i watch the more I'm flummoxed by the suspension. He could not have done more to avoid injuring someone including himself.
All I can see watching this video is that if Will Day doesn't change direction after kicking the ball, then Ryder has pulled up enough that Day would run past him. The only reason they end up colliding is that Day changes the direction he is running after completing the kick.

Ryder absolutely had other options.

I find it bizarre that people keep making this argument.

Players in Ryder's situation usually tackle, smother, or just pull out of the contest. Or a hybrid half tackle after realising they were late, ie just brush past the opponent with a bit of physicality, just enough to knock them over but not a full tackle that would result in a 50m penalty for being late.

Essentially attacking player had the ball and defender was running towards him, and attacking player decided to kick. This situation happens constantly throughout games. And a bump is the rarest option taken by the defender.

Better examples of players who didn't have options were Tim English (round 3, no penalty) and Mitch Robinson's bump on Duursma (Round 1, 1 game suspension).

Paddy Ryder was not set with feet planted for ages like English. And he wasn't near a contested ball like Robinson.

English example was posted earlier. Here's Robinson-Duursma. I think it's reasonable, or possible that Robinson didn't see Duursma, or realised the positioning of his opponent so late that he turned sideways to avoid a head clash (which likely could've been worse, even though Duursma's collarbone was injured anyway). I would've given Robinson the benefit of the doubt here.

Nothing like Ryder who was running towards an opponent who had the ball, and then decided to bump after his opponent had already kicked.

Mitch Robinson comes front on at a guy who is head down over the ball. And then collides with him.

Paddy Ryder approaches a guy who is standing up running towards him, Ryder pulls up to stop realising he's not going to reach Day before disposal and then Day changes direction and collides with him.

Complete BS …… no suspension … PLAY ON….!!!!….it’s a collision sport and players coming from all angles and sides…. Pretty soon the game will be non contact
Given that recent history suggests if you are tall you cant bump.

Interesting how the league narrative has changed from he ''came in with force, and lined him up'' to ''if you leave the ground you are in trouble'' to ''All duty of care falls on the player'' and now this it which is essentially ''dont get in the way/impede players''

Just ban the bump so the big boys don't have to play at a disadvantage, its not fair they have to walk on eggshells, like for like actions get treated on the opposite side of the spectrum

I saw this comment from Tom Rockliff in an article I read today, he didn't think Ryder had any other option unlike some of the keyboard warriors here.

Former Port Adelaide star Tom Rockliff posted on Twitter the verdict was “laughable”.

“Jump out of the player’s way and let him past? What if he didn’t kick it? He stopped and didn’t try to bump. Ryder had no other option in a split second,” he wrote.

I saw this comment from Tom Rockliff in an article I read today, he didn't think Ryder had any other option unlike some of the keyboard warriors here.
Ah yes. Expert football analyst and former team mate Tom Rockliff is the source of truth.

He didn't have to bump
What were his other options?
He couldn't tackle as Day didn't have the ball, he couldn't smother as it was too late. he is a big guy who just couldn't jump out of the way in that short time. he just had to stand there an hope for the best and that is what he did.
I reckon an attempted smother was a reasonable option. He's got reach on him. I don't think he would have got the ball but he may have put him off more/affected the kick. If he's reaching low and across for the ball he's not going to collect him high. A down field free at best for late body contact.

But the big old blokes don't like to get down and dirty with the full blooded smother. He was always going to just bump/put his body in the way and that was his undoing in the end given the current rules.

Ah yes. Expert football analyst and former team mate Tom Rockliff is the source of truth.

I'd still rate the opinion of a guy that has played at AFL level ahead of the people here that haven't, he would know what it's like to be in that situation.

I'd still rate the opinion of a guy that has played at AFL level ahead of the people here that haven't, he would know what it's like to be in that situation.
Fair, but there are plenty of people at AFL level who have had the opposite view and believe he deserved his suspension..

Fair, but there are plenty of people at AFL level who have had the opposite view and believe he deserved his suspension..
Exactly, for example scroll to 2:20 and hear Jack Riewoldt on this.

Not that you need to play AFL to be able to see players in Ryder's situation make different decisions on a regular basis.

All AFL players make split second decisions constantly. I just can't buy the idea that Ryder couldn't have done differently in the instant. Can't buy it.

He doesn’t even make a full stride in the direction of Ryder so hardly a “beeline”.
And the clip shows Ryder changing direction directly at will, takes 3 full strides in his direction (making a “beeline” if you will) right at the start.Totally avoidable.

As I wrote earlier, i didn’t see it as particularly malicious just careless and that’s how the afl viewed it.
Not sure where the surprise has come from.
About 4 years ago the began suspending players deeming the secondary whiplash, if that is high contact, even if the original contact is not high, will be regarded as high by the mro/tribunal.
If Ryder didn't stop and kept on the angle he was coming in at it may have been enough of a change of direction by Day to avoid him. By stopping it gave Day no chance to avoid him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Brown elbow to the Jaw, no where near the ball, one week.

Ryder gets the same for his bump.

Reason ? Because one did it in VFL and one in AFL.

Right…..

Complete BS …… no suspension … PLAY ON….!!!!….it’s a collision sport and players coming from all angles and sides…. Pretty soon the game will be non contact

How many players dying from suicide and other CTE relates injuries are ok for you as long as you get to keep watching your collisions ?

What is the number thats acceptable ?

How about just brain damage and memory issues, failed marriages and friendships from mental illness?

Be honest. I mean you clearly love your footy.

How many players dying from suicide and other CTE relates injuries are ok for you as long as you get to keep watching your collisions ?

What is the number thats acceptable ?

How about just brain damage and memory issues, failed marriages and friendships from mental illness?

Be honest. I mean you clearly love your footy.
I know what you mean … and I don’t want to see anyone knocked out or left with permanent head injuries …. I just don’t want the game to go so far as it’s virtually non contact and it’s fast becoming very close to that … I don’t know the answer to it all …

It’s a physical game … it’s hard to avoid head knocks …

I know what you mean … and I don’t want to see anyone knocked out or left with permanent head injuries …. I just don’t want the game to go so far as it’s virtually non contact and it’s fast becoming very close to that … I don’t know the answer to it all …

It’s a physical game … it’s hard to avoid head knocks …

And given dropping a shoulder and bumping is avoidable we should stamp that out.

If he was too late to try to smother he definitely had time to not bump. He could have put his hands out to brace for impact and didnt do that either.

So he chose to bump and took someone out for half a game and the next game at a minimum. Its possible Day misses a number of games.

So there has to be a significant punishment.

Im all for strong tackles and players going hard for the ball but late hits and dangerous tackles arent tough.

And given dropping a shoulder and bumping is avoidable we should stamp that out.

If he was too late to try to smother he definitely had time to not bump. He could have put his hands out to brace for impact and didnt do that either.

So he chose to bump and took someone out for half a game and the next game at a minimum. Its possible Day misses a number of games.

So there has to be a significant punishment.

Im all for strong tackles and players going hard for the ball but late hits and dangerous tackles arent tough.
To me it doesn’t look like he meant to take him out … I think Ryder has realised he’s a bit late and has braced for contact ……. He could have taking him out if he really wanted to … and I’m not sure Ryder is that type … it’s such a fine line with these collision …🤷🏻‍♂️

To me it doesn’t look like he meant to take him out … I think Ryder has realised he’s a bit late and has braced for contact ……. He could have taking him out if he really wanted to … and I’m not sure Ryder is that type … it’s such a fine line with these collision …🤷🏻‍♂️

Im sure his intention wasnt to concuss him. But he certainly went to bump him. Afterwards he did look a little shocked. But he is a massive guy and he bumped a guy far smaller. He has to take that in to consideration.

Im sure his intention wasnt to concuss him. But he certainly went to bump him. Afterwards he did look a little shocked. But he is a massive guy and he bumped a guy far smaller. He has to take that in to consideration.
He's shocked because he was trying to avoid taking out Day. Ryder pulls up to avoid running through Day when he sees that Day is going to kick the ball away before he gets there. Also why he doesn't attempt a spoil.

Day changes direction after disposing of the ball and runs into Ryder.

If Day doesn't change direction, then the players don't collide and everyone just keeps playing.

And stupidly enough, if Ryder decides he's going to smash Day by going harder after the kick and moves to hit him (like Dangerfield did against Jake Kelly in 2021), then Day's change of direction results in them missing each other.

Whole thing should've simply been dismissed as an unfortunate collision between two players.

Leigh Montagna played a lot of football. He's a Saints man, too. He said Paddy Ryder "absolutely deserved a suspension" (1 match) because he elected to bump Day, got him late and caused a concussion. He laughed at his fellow panelists Daisy Thomas and Wayne Carey for using the "but but but Paddy was stationary and Day ran into him" excuse.

Point being: opinion was divided. Everyone agreed Ryder pulled up and he didn't run through Day.
If he had done so, the AFL would've thrown the book at him. Six weeks minimum.

So it was on the low end of the scale of reportable offences.

But for people to claim it was somehow Day's fault is just a joke. He was in the act of kicking the ball when Ryder ran forwards about 15m to bump him and initiated the collision. Day had literally just kicked the ball and had taken ONE step when he collided with the point of Ryder's shoulder.

Just because Ryder stopped running a split-second before impact doesn't exonerate him.

Ryder actually leaned into the bump.. He leveraged his 110kg frame into knocking Day on his feet. He didn't have to do that. He could've wrapped Day in up in a tackle. He could've turned side on to bump, but then pulled back and not leaned into it as heavily as he did and not caused any damage.

Bottom line: As we've all been told 1000 times, if a player elects to bump, then they are 100% responsible for any head injuries which occur as a result of their actions. Which goes to show just how thick-headed many AFL footballers are that the message just doesn't appear to sink in. They are stuck in the past.

Back