Traded Paddy Ryder [traded to St Kilda with Dougal Howard]

Remove this Banner Ad

From AA ruck and winning a B&F less than 2 years ago to being dropped. It's a big fall. He has to be the number 1 ruck - he isn't a forward that can pinch hit in the ruck.

He's next to useless around hte grounds now.
Its amazing 2 years ago Ryder v Jacobs in the showdown was something to look forward to.
Now they both look done.

The speed of their downfall is pretty epic.
Ryder was AA Ruck in 2017

Ryder’s tap work is still elite, he thrives being the sole ruck and is only average when he needs to play as the second ruck/ key forward.

No doubt that is a massive part to his form slump. That said at his age and his injury history last year, wouldn’t offer more then 1 year.

Ryder’s tap work is still elite, he thrives being the sole ruck and is only average when he needs to play as the second ruck/ key forward.

No doubt that is a massive part to his form slump. That said at his age and his injury history last year, wouldn’t offer more then 1 year.

Which makes the persuit of Lycett interesting.
I know its the long term move, but it pretty much just said to Ryder that he's done because they cant play together.

Which makes the persuit of Lycett interesting.
I know its the long term move, but it pretty much just said to Ryder that he's done because they cant play together.

It was a necessity given Ryder’s injury history and that our next best ruck prospect at the time was a first year player in rehab from an ACL. Had they known Ladhams would develop the way he did, maybe that would have changed things, generally Lycett has been very good for us so far.

I think this is more challenging Ryder to make it work then it is saying he is done.

History would say he doesn’t thrive in this role, however there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able elite in the role he is being asked to play.

It was a necessity given Ryder’s injury history and that our next best ruck prospect at the time was a first year player in rehab from an ACL. Had they known Ladhams would develop the way he did, maybe that would have changed things, generally Lycett has been very good for us so far.

I think this is more challenging Ryder to make it work then it is saying he is done.

History would say he doesn’t thrive in this role, however there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able elite in the role he is being asked to play.

Yeh I see what you're saying.
Hes played 200+ games hasnt he? And not once has he worked as anything but #1 ruck for most of the game.

Not sure why Port saw anything different happening.

Lycett was a good pickup. I was hoping we would go for him, but obviously didn't know O'brien had the step up in him.

Yeh I see what you're saying.
Hes played 200+ games hasnt he? And not once has he worked as anything but #1 ruck for most of the game.

Not sure why Port saw anything different happening.

Lycett was a good pickup. I was hoping we would go for him, but obviously didn't know O'brien had the step up in him.

Well he played key defense in his second year and came second in the rising star before moving into the ruck, so I'd argue that point. Though he's never been a key forward and I'm not sure he still has that same athleticism that he had early in his career.

Well he played key defense in his second year and came second in the rising star before moving into the ruck, so I'd argue that point. Though he's never been a key forward and I'm not sure he still has that same athleticism that he had early in his career.

That was what 12 years ago?
Ben Rutten played full forward for his first season. Didnt mean at the end of his career clubs were going to chase him to play that position.

Ryder right now is a #1 ruck and nothing else.

I have no idea why St Kilda would be interested in any way. Rowan Marshall is and will be a very good ruck for many years, and he doesn’t need assistance from a veteran Ryder.

I reckon there’s only a couple clubs that should entertain his services, given his age and injury history. If Mumford can’t go around again and the Giants don’t want to hand the reigns to Matthew Flynn, then perhaps Ryder could be a cheap top-up for another flag tilt. And maybe Richmond could use his elite tap work and be able to use the mobile Nank as more of a roaming third tall at either end, because of his strength and great marking hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea why St Kilda would be interested in any way. Rowan Marshall is and will be a very good ruck for many years, and he doesn’t need assistance from a veteran Ryder.

I reckon there’s only a couple clubs that should entertain his services, given his age and injury history. If Mumford can’t go around again and the Giants don’t want to hand the reigns to Matthew Flynn, then perhaps Ryder could be a cheap top-up for another flag tilt. And maybe Richmond could use his elite tap work and be able to use the mobile Nank as more of a roaming third tall at either end, because of his strength and great marking hands.
GWS better off backing in Flynne and Briggs.

Marshall and Ryder are both decentish forwards though so I can see why a combo of those two would appeal. But given they already have King, Bruce and Membrey up forward (first two can relief ruck too), what's the point?

Best fit I think would be the Dogs. Give him a couple of years to take the pressure off English somewhat, then when he retires English can first ruck easily without getting smashed. Especially given English's forward game looks decent.

Giants as you said not a bad fit either.

GWS better off backing in Flynne and Briggs.

Neither are ready, Flynn is still inconsistent at NEAFL level. Issue with Ryder is he turned us down once before and is probably after good $$$ or multiple years which we wont give him. I dont think personality wise he suits our more senior playing group or living in Sydney.

Anyone who questions why we picked up lycett for free trade wise watch last nights game.
As far as paddy goes no point getting him if your not in the premiership window geelong and gws would be better with paddy as no.1 ruck. But i think he stays at port on a 1yr deal.

Anyone who questions why we picked up lycett for free trade wise watch last nights game.
As far as paddy goes no point getting him if your not in the premiership window geelong and gws would be better with paddy as no.1 ruck. But i think he stays at port on a 1yr deal.

That was the best game in Port colours for him. Absolutely everywhere and aggressive.
Thriving without Ryder?

He was also against the most pea-hearted player in the league though lets not forget. Stanley didnt want a bar of him.

That was the best game in Port colours for him. Absolutely everywhere and aggressive.
Thriving without Ryder?

He was also against the most pea-hearted player in the league though lets not forget. Stanley didnt want a bar of him.
But when rob bullied a richmond 3rds ruck it was all his arrived what a brute who needs sauce?

showdown in 2 weeks time is going to be good fun to watch with Lycett going up against Reilly O'Brien..only 2 years ago it was Jacobs V Ryder as the 2 best rucks in the comp at that time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back