Paddy Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall recruiting Ryder was a fail. Love the guy but it was a disaster after disaster
It wasn't a disaster, but it was an average to poor investment. We didn't lose 90% of our investment type disaster, but probably lost 10% when we should have made 25%, type investment.

2015 Good solid year - 9th in B&F
2016 Went missing - yeah I know why
2017 Fantastic year, wins B&F and makes All Oz side
2018 Too many ******* injuries
2019 Started well with Lycett, but was a bare pass type season.

Did we get 5 x $500k worth of value? Probably not, But without Paddy in 2017 we wouldn't have made finals.

We gave up 17 and 37 for him in 2014. Look at who we missed out between picks 17 and 60 and we didn't miss out on anything special.

No All oz players there in that pick 17-60 range

Heeney went at pick 18, but he was tied to the Swans Academy and if current bidding rules were in that year he would have been a top 3 or 5 pick.

Mclean at 27 and Daniel at 46 played in the Bulldogs 2016 flag.

It wasn't a disaster, but it was an average to poor investment. We didn't lose 90% of our investment type disaster, but probably lost 10% when we should have made 25%, type investment.

Did we get 5 x $500k worth of value? Probably not, But without Paddy in 2017 we wouldn't have made finals.

We gave up 17 and 37 for him in 2014. Look at who we missed out between picks 17 and 60 and we didn't miss out on anything special.

Heeney went at pick 18, but he was tied to the Swans Academy and if current bidding rules were in that year he would have been a top 3 or 5 pick.

Didn't miss out on anything for sure. Definitely underachieved though.

Our biggest problem in 2015 imo was finding the right balance between Lobbe and Ryder when both were in the side. It never worked. Missing 2016 was unforgivable given he had a chance to significantly reduce his penalty but declined. He was amazing in 2017 but was never the same player after chasing that intruder down last year.

I reckon we will be better off playing Ladhams over Ryder anyway.

You're being extremely generous giving him a pass for 2019

I thought he was on much bigger money than that. 700k or 750k a year.

Thats why when we brought Dixon in the following year on 700k, Barret kept running with the whole "ports salary cap is about to burst" campaign.

I thought he was on much bigger money than that. 700k or 750k a year.

Thats why when we brought Dixon in the following year on 700k, Barret kept running with the whole "ports salary cap is about to burst" campaign.
And both years we paid unders and banked the difference for post 2017-2022 CBA period as nobody knew what the PA and the AFL would end up as the final salary cap negotiated.

The brutal thing is Paddy is a short ruckman and relied on his athletic leap. He's tiring now and can't deliver that big jump and soft hands. I love you Paddy.

Port Adelaide didn't deliver you a flag Paddy. But you'll forever be Port Adelaide. Is what it is.

I like Paddy and he played some great footy here but the greatest highlight that immediately comes to mind is saving us from a disgraceful loss to St Kilda.

I wish him well, but if he went to Essendon it would confirm that he forced a move here because he was hoodwinked by Ken Hinkley the same way the rest of us were, and not because the relationship was irreparable.

I like Paddy and he played some great footy here but the greatest highlight that immediately comes to mind is saving us from a disgraceful loss to St Kilda.

I wish him well, but if he went to Essendon it would confirm that he forced a move here because he was hoodwinked by Ken Hinkley the same way the rest of us were, and not because the relationship was irreparable.
If you're a tall at Port adelaide..........................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More likely that Ryder came to Port Adelaide exactly for the reason that Essendon fans said - they had front ended his contract and he was looking for more money (the same thing that Carlton fans said about Gibbs). It wasn't due to any particular loyalty or love for Port Adelaide - it's just a job. The only time it wasn't was in 2017 when he hadn't been able to play for a year and actually enjoyed the grind of the season.

That's what it would confirm.

Nothing wrong with that sort of attitude of course.

No aside from wanting to escape Essendon at the time for obvious reasons I think Paddy genuinely thought he would be playing a lot of finals at Port.. how wrong he was.

No regrets on the deal with the exception of one. The ******* doping ban.

Even that couldn't really be helped, we just needed to pick up a backup ruckman. The poor list management pisses me off more than anything.

Not really. The Essendon he left in October 2014 is nothing like the Essendon he would walk into in October 2019.

At the time tho the decision was a correct one, we needed a quality ruckman

Absolutely. We only had Lobbe and dead Red in the shed.

He hasn't quite met our expectations overall, much like Dixon I suppose, but no doubt delivered some quality in his AA year.

I think the move is best for all parties though. No point stunting Ladhams/Hayes for another year.

Is Paddy still contracted to us? If he is, and he decides on Essendon, screw the bastards for all we can.

EDIT: Paddy has twelve months left on the current deal and is not a free agent.
I don't know where you got that information.

Ryder is out of contract and the club is only willing to offer him a one year deal.

Is Ryder a free agent? I feel like the rules are weird about how many years you’ve been at your current club?

No one has referred to him as a free agent but really he should be.

Imagine if he left as a free agent and we actually got good compensation thanks to his BnF, AA, and potentially high wage.

Is Ryder a free agent? I feel like the rules are weird about how many years you’ve been at your current club?

Imagine if he left as a free agent and we actually got good compensation thanks to his BnF, AA, and potentially high wage.
Yes I am confused about this too

Yes I am confused about this too

He is NOT a free agent. He's been here 5 years, and the AFL don't have lifetime free agency (as yet)..... ie Free agency is based at years at one club.

If he was a free agent his age counts against him:

Actually, based on the above and using Daniel Wells as an example, lets assume for a second St Kilda were to pay him close to 500K base then we could equate his value to Daniel Wells who was also 31.... although Wells got a 3 rather than 2 yr deal.
A player who is paid $500,000 a season, who can make $800,000 with incentives, is ranked on the basis of a $500,000 contract.
It was this factor - plus the player’s age - that meant North Melbourne received only a second-round pick for star Daniel Wells, even though Wells can make more than $1.5 million over his three-year contract.

His base is less than $500,000 a season and he was 31 when he signed with Collingwood.

■The key to the formula is a ranking system, in which every player in the AFL aged 25 or older is placed in order, based on the size of their (guaranteed) contract.

But thats all moot as theres no lifetime free agency ATM.

Last edited:

Not listed as a free agent anywhere I've seen. He didn't come to us as a free agent, so he doesn't come under the changes the AFL made so that players who did move as free agents become free agents at their subsequent club when they come out of contract, without having to be there for another 8 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back