Paddy Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he stuck fat with the bombers instead of dropping them in it, causjng him to miss a year if prime football at Port, and going back will confirm he never stopped Essendoning

I get all that. But he's done. I couldn't care less if he goes back there.

It doesn't make a difference to the PAFC where he goes. But going back to Essendon would reflect very poorly on Paddy as a person.

Why would him going back to Essendon cause such a furore?
Because it interferes with the myth that all their indigenous players who took the PEDs were gentle folk who were unwitting and victim of peer pressure, culturally unable to say no

Never mind the guy sh@t on PAFC by not taking the ASADA offer the club paying his salary suggested he take and sided with his buddies from Dopedon and lost

Seems pathetic to be churlish about Paddy. He clearly wanted to stay but the club actually appears to have made the right call in prioritising the Lycett and Ladhams combination. He's not cooked as a player by any means, but still at this point with his consistent niggles I think offering anything over a year to him would reflect being in a weak bargaining position with ruckmen, which we certainly are not in at the moment.

I don't see why it matters at all where he goes. He'd be a great fit for next year at a few clubs, but does appear that the list is starting to narrow with GWS going for Jacobs so it looks like St Kilda, Essendon or Sydney. If it happens to be Essendon, meh. The hierarchy or even the playing list there now does not bear any similarity to what it was for the supplements saga nor it's fight. All the best to he and his family however it goes.

Seems pathetic to be churlish about Paddy. He clearly wanted to stay but the club actually appears to have made the right call in prioritising the Lycett and Ladhams combination. He's not cooked as a player by any means, but still at this point with his consistent niggles I think offering anything over a year to him would reflect being in a weak bargaining position with ruckmen, which we certainly are not in at the moment.

I don't see why it matters at all where he goes. He'd be a great fit for next year at a few clubs, but does appear that the list is starting to narrow with GWS going for Jacobs so it looks like St Kilda, Essendon or Sydney. If it happens to be Essendon, meh. The hierarchy or even the playing list there now does not bear any similarity to what it was for the supplements saga nor it's fight. All the best to he and his family however it goes.
source.gif

This. Enjoy the paycheck at Windy Hill, brother. Thank you for two of my favourite Port memories in the last few dire years: the tap to Robbie v St Kilda, and this badass photo at midnight at Alberton

I don't get the big deal. Essendon isn't the same club it was when he left, all of the main players in the supplements saga are long gone.
Essendon still hasn't shown any real remorse. They've been sorry they were caught. The main players are long gone, but I doubt any of the current lot are going to say Hird is poor human being or Watson was a weak Captain for not standing up for his teammates health over some questionable performance gains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give the bloke some slack. He's in the last couple years of his career. Rather than starting over again with all new faces, it might be nice to have some familiarity. It's been 5 years since he left, I'm sure his anger towards the saga has faded somewhat and now hes going to do whats best for his future, not his past.

Because he stuck fat with the bombers instead of dropping them in it, causjng him to miss a year if prime football at Port, and going back will confirm he never stopped Essendoning

Lol you don't seriously believe this do you?

He would sign straight away if he was offered the same terms by Port. He is simply doing what is best to look after his family and every devoted father on BigFooty would do the same. If that means going back to Essendon then so be it.

Lol you don't seriously believe this do you?

He would sign straight away if he was offered the same terms by Port. He is simply doing what is best to look after his family and every devoted father on BigFooty would do the same. If that means going back to Essendon then so be it.
The potential health effect this had on his (then) unborn child conceived during this time was a primary reason for leaving Essendon. I'll pull a rare 'as a father' and say if I found out something similar (not that I'd sign up for a mystery drug program to begin with), then that's one club I'd never go back to, no matter what.

The potential health effect this had on his (then) unborn child conceived during this time was a primary reason for leaving Essendon. I'll pull a rare 'as a father' and say if I found out something similar (not that I'd sign up for a mystery drug program to begin with), then that's one club I'd never go back to, no matter what.

You make it sound like El Chapo kidnapped him and injected him and made him work for the cartels

I'll pull a rare "as a father" too and say I just never would. But that's just me. Do you harbor some noble illusion he thought he was injecting vitamins in the dirty off site facility they all went to, to juice up?

You make it sound like El Chapo kidnapped him and injected him and made him work for the cartels

I'll pull a rare "as a father" too and say I just never would. But that's just me. Do you harbor some noble illusion he thought he was injecting vitamins in the dirty off site facility they all went to, to juice up?
No, but he obviously trusted the 'doctors' enough to believe there was no risk to his or his child's health and upon being informed there might be was rightfully angry and concerned. I don't think that's painting Paddy as some noble saint dragged across the road and injected against his will whilst pinned down, whilst he shouted verses from the bible at his captors.

Why would you admit to being a drug cheat if you don't believe that you are?
I'd settle for 'At the time I did not believe what we were doing was illegal, I now know better and am disappointed to learn this meant I cheated'.

This covers an admission of cheating without an admission of knowingly set out to cheat.

I absolutely believe he showed loyalty to Essendon when he shouldve shown it to Port

He showed loyalty to the players he played with at the time, bulk of which were still at Essendon. If he took the guilty deal, it would have implicated the remainder of the players. Paddy would have gotten 3 months and the rest would have gotten 2+ years.

Tough decision to throw 20 players, many of whom are your close mates under the bus to do it. The players (and port) believed the ban would not be significant at all. I think that was fed to the from the AFL which was followed through with the AFL's shame verdict of not guilty which was then overturned by ASADA.

I get where you are coming from, but considering all factors, its understandable why he did what he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back