Paddy Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

Other clubs know about the set play but it's hard to stop

When you've got a ruckman with a vertical leap that makes him almost impossible to beat at the centre bounce and a midfielder with tree trunks for legs that can't be tackled, it's not hard to see why other clubs find it hard to stop ;)

When you've got a ruckman with a vertical leap that makes him almost impossible to beat at the centre bounce and a midfielder with tree trunks for legs that can't be tackled, it's not hard to see why other clubs find it hard to stop ;)

Wines, Powell-Pepper, Atley

Blitzkrieg football!

The West Oz's Mark Duffield gave Paddy big wraps yesterday

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20170710/282467118927634
Ryder Rules but Eagles pay for top heavy flavour
The West Australian 10 Jul 2017 Mark Duffield
Paddy Ryder, take a bow.

Port Adelaide’s master ruckman delivered a masterclass at Domain Stadium yesterday as the Power surged past and clear of West Coast into fourth spot on the ladder, pitchforking the Eagles out of the eight in the process. The 18.12 (120) to 13.10 (88) victory was not a case of the size of the dog in the fight. It was not a case of the size of the fight in the dog. But it was a case of Port Adelaide’s big dogs wielding a profound influence on a game that the Eagles, who had loaded up on talls by adding Scott Lycett, simply couldn’t match.

Ryder kicked two goals, had 39 hit-outs and 17 disposals, Charlie Dixon kicked five goals, Justin Westhoff booted two from 23 disposals and Jackson Trengove got in on the act by kicking two big last-quarter majors. ..............It took Port 20 minutes into the second quarter before they managed that. And it took Ryder to do it for them........Ryder was the player doing more than most teammates to keep his team in the game. He had dominated the ruck and had 11 first-half disposals to add to his momentum-changing goal, but he needed more support if Port were to firm up their topfour prospects with a win......Ryder was giving the Eagles a hammering. Dixon had emerged as a potent target in attack and kicked two goals for the quarter to go to the last change with three. ...And the perception that Port were going better at the last change was correct. Ryder continued to dominate the Eagles in the air and Port made hay on the ground in the final quarter when they piled on eight goals.
https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20170710/282467118927634

And AFL ratings show paddy was the BOG in the 2nd quarter when the Eagles spent most of the quarter dominating

upload_2017-7-11_13-52-7.png

Can't believe Kruezer got into the team of the week ahead of Ryder, statistically as per the above Ryder was far better.

Meanwhile I'm shocked SPP was in negative, I thought he was ok. Had he kicked those goals he could've had 3 & 16. That would've been a solid return.

Can't believe Kruezer got into the team of the week ahead of Ryder, statistically as per the above Ryder was far better.

Meanwhile I'm shocked SPP was in negative, I thought he was ok. Had he kicked those goals he could've had 3 & 16. That would've been a solid return.
Why can't you believe it? Its done by a lot of young drongos working at the AFL media at HQ in Melbourne and whats the bet they either attended the Carlton game or watched it on TV and didnt bother watching the Port v Eagles game. Very, very predictable.

I dont understand the SPP rating.

Why can't you believe it? Its done by a lot of young drongos working at the AFL media at HQ in Melbourne and whats the bet they either attended the Carlton game or watched it on TV and didnt bother watching the Port v Eagles game. Very, very predictable.

I dont understand the SPP rating.
lots of clangers and frees against

As I said in the OP I have given Paddy votes the the last 4 weeks, best on ground for Port in 3 of them and the coaches have given him votes in those 4 games. He has polled votes in 11 of the 14 games he has played missing Rd 4 v the GWS due to suspension. He leads Port players votes in the coaches award and only Ebo and Ollie have polled in close to half the games polling in 7 of the 15 they have played.

In my own voting I have Ollie on 33 votes, votes in 8 games, Ebo 33 votes, votes in 10 games and Paddy 31 votes, votes in 9 games, but dominating my votes post China.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-07-11/aflca-clean-sweep-for-power
PORT ADELAIDE'S AFLCA AWARD LEADERBOARD
47 – Paddy Ryder (4,2,4,7,4,1,3,8,3,2,9)
35 – Charlie Dixon (1,10,6,9,9)
34 – Robbie Gray (10,10,4,10) Ollie Wines (10,8,6,5,3,1,1)
31 – Brad Ebert (4,1,5,2,8,9,2)
21 – Chad Wingard (2,8,6,4,1)

Round 16 v West Coast
9 – Paddy Ryder
Round 15 v Richmond
2 – Paddy Ryder
Round 14 v Collingwood
3 - Paddy Ryder
Round 13 v Brisbane
8 – Paddy Ryder
Round 11 v Hawthorn
3 - Paddy Ryder
Round 10 v Geelong
1 - Paddy Ryder
* Rd 9 is a bye
Round 8 v Gold Coast
3 - Travis Boak
Round 7 v West Coast
7 - Paddy Ryder
Round 6 v Brisbane
4 - Paddy Ryder

** Missed Rd 4 suspension
Round 2 v Freo
2 - Paddy Ryder
Round 1 v Sydney
4 - Paddy Ryder

OVERALL AFLCA AWARD LEADERBOARD
81 – Patrick Dangerfield (Gee)
73 – Dustin Martin (Rich)
58 – Sebastian Ross (StK)
57 – Elliot Yeo (WCE) Dayne Zorko (BL)
56 – Joel Selwood (Gee)

10th 50 Clayton Oliver
So apart from Yeo who plays HBF and mid field top 10 is filled by midfielders and Paddy probably is the highest polling ruck and KPP in the league, as I dont have a list of who has polled 49 or 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-07-11/aflca-clean-sweep-for-power
PORT ADELAIDE'S AFLCA AWARD LEADERBOARD
47 – Paddy Ryder (4,2,4,7,4,1,3,8,3,2,9)
35 – Charlie Dixon (1,10,6,9,9)
34 – Robbie Gray (10,10,4,10) Ollie Wines (10,8,6,5,3,1,1)
31 – Brad Ebert (4,1,5,2,8,9,2)
21 – Chad Wingard (2,8,6,4,1)

I know I'm hijacking your post a bit here REH, but I'd like to request that all of those who have spent the last two years expressing their short-sighted opinions that we should have gone for cheaper options rather than spending the necessary draft picks and salary cap room to recruit Ryder and/or Dixon have a long hard look at the top two players on that leaderboard.

Last edited:
I know I'm hijacking your post a bit here REH, but it would be nice if all of those who have spent the last two years expressing their short-sighted opinions that we should have gone for cheaper options rather than spending the necessary draft picks and salary cap room to recruit Ryder and/or Dixon could have a long hard look at the top two players on that leaderboard.
I was excited when we got both and figured you need to give up a decent player or 2 decent draft picks to get either one of them. I was excited about getting Ryder because I thought if Lobbe could play like he did in 2014, you had Lobbe do the bash and crash stuff against the big dinosaur types and then Paddy's athleticism would come over the top when that number 1 ruck is tired and he could kick a couple of goals a game while waiting to take over from Lobbe do his stuff. But Lobbe went backwards and luckily Paddy has progressed having his best year ever. I thought we paid a touch too much for Ryder because the Essendon case was unresolved and I expected him to get a decent suspension as I knew the Essendon case was always going to end up in Switzerland at CAS. I expected a 12 month suspension with backdating to mean about half a season out depending on timing of the ruling and not a full season out. Big Dix was the player I was hoping we would draft or recruit, since about 2002 when it became obvious Lockwood wasn't going to ever overcome his back injury and Tredders needed help, and then that Butch wasn't going to make it.

Can someone please remind me what he cost (and Dixon if you have that there too). Both are easily worth 2 first rounders each.

Found it: 17 (Kyle Langford) and 37....no wonder Essendon fans hate the deal! They did get Cooney for 37 mind :)

Dixon was 10 (effectively cost us Milera whom we don't need) and whatever our second rounder is next year.

Last edited:
12.01 am the day under the rules he was allowed to train at the club and 2 months before the CAS ban terminated.

Link

"Going to the club at midnight on the day in which I could return was a bit of a light-hearted joke between myself and Kenny. I wanted to get back to the club to see all my teammates and all the wonderful people."

I know I'm hijacking your post a bit here REH, but I'd like to request that all of those who have spent the last two years expressing their short-sighted opinions that we should have gone for cheaper options rather than spending the necessary draft picks and salary cap room to recruit Ryder and/or Dixon have a long hard look at the top two players on that leaderboard.

They don't need to, if they've watched the majority of our games this year deep down they already know.

I could see the 2 Perth teams trying to lure him home but I doubt he would ever leave Port.
If Paddy goes back to WA either to play or live I reckon he will end up with Gerard Neesham's Clontarf Foundation which does work with the Clontarf Aboriginal College ( his old school) and they have a Clontarf Academy or he will work directly for the Clontarf Aboriginal College

If you look at the map of where the Clontarf Foundation has set up its 92 Academies it in every mainland state and in NT except for SA. I suspect that's because the indigenous programs the club is running is similar to what Neesham's Foundation is doing and doesn't need to be replicated in SA.

http://www.clontarf.org.au/about/

The guy is a legend as well as being a freak. I was only going to read the opening post, but that photo of him so easily outrucking Sandilands was such a perfect summation of the athleticism and excitement this sport has to offer, I just had to read the whole thread.

Good luck to him ... unless we meet you in the finals (if we somehow even make it that far).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back