Paddy Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

"AFL is the most exciting football code. An enormous field, extraordinary athleticism, it is the leaping, jumping, flying game." Malcolm Turnbull Shanghai 14th April 2016 at the signing of M.O.U between Port, Shanghai CRED and the AFL.

Is there any better example of the athleticism, leaping, jumping, flying in the game than Paddy Ryder?? I doubt it, maybe as good but not any better and I don't think there is anyone who can match him at Port Adelaide.

The last 4 weeks I have given him best player in my votes, 3 times and the only game I didn't was because he was in a classic ruck contest with Grundy and played bloody well against a great opponent without dominating him or the game. I still gave him votes in that game. He is feeding our mids, creating space for them, winning his own clearances, taking contested marks all around the ground and kicking goals. If we are going to go deep into September he will be at the pointy end of the arrow piercing us through September towards a flag.

This article by Rohan Connolly on the eve of his 200th game against Collingwood, nicely sums up how great he is playing in 2017

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-at-home-after-200-games-20170623-gwwy43.html
Firmly established as Port Adelaide's No.1 ruckman, Ryder's average 34 hit-outs per game are a career high, as are his clearance numbers and contested marks. His percentage of hit-outs won this season ranks second in the competition behind Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands.

"We have ratings for players and he hasn't been below his for the whole year; he's been well above every game," says Lade.
"It's been a great fillip for the whole midfield to have a guy come in and play out of his skin like that. We think he'd be close [to All-Australian] at the moment."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-at-home-after-200-games-20170623-gwwy43.html

If he wasn't such a great ruck, and loved playing there, you know he could play up forward and take plenty of grabs and kick plenty of goals. I wonder if he will have a late career up forward like the great Superboot Bernie Quinlan awaits him. At 31 Bernie became a full time FF as days in the ruck were catching up with him and he kicked 100+ goals the first 2 seasons at FF and then 84 and 52 in his last 2 years. Now I'm not saying Paddy is going to kick a ton, but maybe his last 2 or 3 years he plays as a KPF kicking 60 goals a season.

He has been a great pick up for the club, and if he contiues on with is 2017 form for a few more years could end his career as second best only to Wanganeen as a mature age player we have recruited in the club's AFL history ( yes i know Wangers was a port boy but he returned as a man from essendon). He has embraced the club and our community programs. My guess he is Port Adelaide forever.

I have always thought having good rucks is as important an aspect to the game, as any. I have always thought having great ruckmen make the difference in September. Its why I'm so bullish on having plenty of rucks on our list. They take time to develop and when you find great ones its like winning the lottery.

Its such a shame he didn't breakaway from the drongos at Essendon to do a deal with ASADA directly and not miss all of last years, but there might be some real serendipity for Port out of that idiot Dank.

I've said it before and told Paddy directly that he reminds me of the great WA and south Freo ruckman Stephen Michael. They both move like Gazelles. Michael was about 28 when he became an enforcer and protected his mids, actually gave up playing ruck and became a ruck rover himself. You can see this year Paddy who is 29, starting to impose himself on the ground more and protecting his players.

This story from the Herald Sun by Jon Anderson on 26 May 2007 mid way thru Paddy's second year when he was 19, says a lot about why he has turned out the way he has a decade later as a footballer and a person.

When Ryder arrived at Essendon, he was known for his warm smile and quiet nature, not unlike many indigenous players already at the club. He didn't say much unless spoken to, other than giggling and carrying on with his Windy Hill "brothers". So when he was asked to speak at an induction function as the 2006 draftees and their families were welcomed into the Essendon family, nobody was sure what to expect. But it didn't take Ryder long to have his captive crowd in stitches as his bright wit came to the fore. Club officials were suddenly aware they had a future leader in their midst. And Ryder took matters a step further by delivering none-too-subtle hints to Dodoro about whom he should chase in last year's draft. "Every time I walked past him, Paddy would say, 'Don't forget Leroy (Jetta) in the draft'," said Dodoro, who drafted Jetta with pick No. 18.

If Ryder sometimes gives the impression of controlling play like a traffic policeman in Essendon's backline, it probably comes down to his heritage and future desires. Ryder's father Reaves works as a police officer in Perth, a vocation Paddy wants to pursue after football. That would appear some time off given the standards he has set in his short career, but when he speaks you are left with a certain assurance that he will see his desire through. "My Dad started off as police liaison officer, doing a lot of work with feuding in the Aboriginal community and any trouble they got into. Then he did some work with the schools before going through the police academy," Ryder said. "He's now in the mainstream police force. I would like to do the same thing but it will have to be after footy. "We lived in Perth until I was seven then went to Geraldton, four hours up the coast. We left when I was 16 and I went to Clontarf (Aboriginal College in Perth). "When the draft came up I knew I would probably be moving from Perth, but that was OK. Melbourne is a lot different to Perth - a lot faster and a lot colder - but now I'm starting to like the place. It's good here, I reckon. Mum and my (four) brothers and sister have just moved over here and Dad has come over for a couple of weeks. "And the footy is going good. Playing (down) back is good because I've got Dustin Fletcher and Mal Michael to tell me what to do.

"I try to stay as easygoing as I can because if you panic then you will make the wrong decision. Outside of footy, being easygoing is one of my worst traits - but it works out good on the footy field. "I like playing in the ruck, up forward and moving around, but the club has told me I have to learn and defence is good for that. Sheeds has shown a lot of faith in me." Ryder grew up idolising indigenous players such as Byron Pickett, Michael Long, Peter Matera and Michael O'Loughlin, and wants to take on opponents in the same manner. That he kept growing ensured he would play a different role and be part of the new breed of 193cm-plus indigenous stars such as Jason Roe, Adam Goodes and Franklin.

I love this photo ozph1870 took of him against Sandilands this year at AO in rd 2. It shows how bloody high he can leap from 2 or 3 steps. I'm sure ozph1870 and Power Pete have many other photos of Paddy showing his extraordinary athleticism, and his leaping, jumping and flying abilities that they can put into this thread.

33661891201_7d183379c9_c.jpg

Edit Malcolm's speech about footy I quoted above

Last edited:

Tboak and I talked about him essentially being in Trengoves role towards the twighlight of his career. I think it would serve him and us brilliantly. Paddy just doesn't get injured so when the time eventually comes that he slows down a little a pinch hitting ruck and forward pocket has his name on it. I could see him playing until he's 35 though. He plays at 94kgs which is super light for a 197cm player.

Best ruck around good thing about rucks then can play till there mid 30's

That was as good of a game you'll get from ANY ruck man going around. The way he taps it to our players to get them in space, is, well just brilliant. Plus his around the ground tackling,marking, bullocking and his couple of goals, is such a weapon for us. That was up there with one of his best all round games, mind you there becoming the norm for Paddy these days.

Dont blame Malcolm. The AFL as custodians of the game in the late 1990's made the decision to market themselves as AFL not Australian Football. When the custodians call it that what do you expect the plebs to call it?

Tboak and I talked about him essentially being in Trengoves role towards the twighlight of his career. I think it would serve him and us brilliantly. Paddy just doesn't get injured so when the time eventually comes that he slows down a little a pinch hitting ruck and forward pocket has his name on it. I could see him playing until he's 35 though. He plays at 94kgs which is super light for a 197cm player.
You are too young to have sen him play, but Super boot Bernie Quinlan is the model I'd like Paddy to follow in his last 2 or 3 years of his career.

You are too young to have sen him play, but Super boot Bernie Quinlan is the model I'd like Paddy to follow in his last 2 or 3 years of his career.

Bernie was really more a CHF/CHB who could pinch hit in the ruck. His hitout stats over his career and year by year are fairly paltry (except 1982). He wasn't a lead ruckman like Paddy. Kelvin Templeton is another of those tall key forwards in the 1970s/80s who amassed a few hitouts over his career but is remembered as a key forward.

Interesting story, Port tried to recruit Bernie in 1978. We had the money from South Melbourne for Max James and Bernie was in dispute with Footscray trying to move to Fitzroy. If Footscray continued to refuse to clear him he would have come to Port and gone back over the next year (Port of course would have tried to keep him).

Bernie was really more a CHF/CHB who could pinch hit in the ruck. His hitout stats over his career and year by year are fairly paltry (except 1982). He wasn't a lead ruckman like Paddy. Kelvin Templeton is another of those tall key forwards in the 1970s/80s who amassed a few hitouts over his career but is remembered as a key forward.

Interesting story, Port tried to recruit Bernie in 1978. We had the money from South Melbourne for Max James and Bernie was in dispute with Footscray trying to move to Fitzroy. If Footscray continued to refuse to clear him he would have come to Port and gone back over the next year (Port of course would have tried to keep him).
When I first started watching the Winners around 1981, Bernie rucked a fair bit and then went to full forward in the following years. When he and Barry Round won the Brownlow in 1981 it was as opposing ruckmen who had started off together at Footscray as ruckmen in 1969 and both got to over 300 games and both over 150 games at 2 clubs. I stand corrected on where he might have sepent most of his career, but when I started watching him, he spent a decent time as a ruckman before becoming a FF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I first started watching the Winners around 1981, Bernie rucked a fair bit and then went to full forward in the following years. When he and Barry Round won the Brownlow in 1981 it was as opposing ruckmen who had started off together at Footscray as ruckmen in 1969 and both got to over 300 games and both over 150 games at 2 clubs. I stand corrected on where he might have sepent most of his career, but when I started watching him, he spent a decent time as a ruckman before becoming a FF.

He would have been rucking more around that time and even then he was hitting the scoreboard regularly. I remember him from the late 1970s when Port were interested and he was a CHF/CHB then.

But in 1981 he had a total of 11 hitouts for the season. He wasn't a ruckman opposing Round.

Like Paddy he was a super athlete of his time, tall, superbly balanced, great mark and well a super boot! If Paddy in the twilight of his career could do what Bernie did as a forward even at the very end of his career you couldn't complain.

But right now I'm going to enjoy Paddy in the ruck. He is playing amazing football, probably the best of his career. Kenny said he loves him and you can see why.

But in 1981 he had a total of 11 hitouts for the season. He wasn't a ruckman opposing Round..
I must have been thinking of 1982. I see he got 158 hit outs then and the number of goals he kicked went down from 73 to 53.

I must have been think of 1982. I see he got 158 hit outs then and the number of goals he kicked went down from 73 to 53.

All I remember of the 80s are shoulder pads, big hair and Duran Duran :D

Said it at the time, I'm doing that trade a second and third time even if I knew he'd be suspended for a year.
He got 2 years.;) Lucky for us CAS invoked individual athlete type backdating.

I hope we never have to cross paths with Dodoro again, but dealing with the campaigner just once, in order to get Paddy to the club may yet prove to be one of our greatest master strokes ever. The guy is already a superstar, and I have no doubt that the legend will grow even further before he retires.

I've known for years that he's the best ruckman in the league and have been laughed at for having that opinion. This is the first year in his entire career that he's been thrown the responsibility of being his team's sole ruckman and he's proving that statement correct on a weekly basis. Love him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back