Paddy Ryder

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is Ryder a free agent? I feel like the rules are weird about how many years you’ve been at your current club?

No one has referred to him as a free agent but really he should be.

Imagine if he left as a free agent and we actually got good compensation thanks to his BnF, AA, and potentially high wage.

Even if he was his age would sink the formula anyway. Token bullsh1t pick it is.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Even that couldn't really be helped, we just needed to pick up a backup ruckman. The poor list management pisses me off more than anything.

Didn't he go against the advice from the PAFC legal eagles?

I thought they advised him to take the deal but Ryder stuck with the Essendon players.

Didn't he go against the advice from the PAFC legal eagles?

I thought they advised him to take the deal but Ryder stuck with the Essendon players.
He was screwed either way, so he chose the option that wouldn't make him an AFL pariah!

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
He was screwed either way, so he chose the option that wouldn't make him an AFL pariah!

You reckon the other PAFC players wouldn't of been happy Paddy put them in front of his ex team mates?

Or your coaches wouldn't be happy with him.

As for the wider AFL, most were baying for Bombers blood at the time, he would have been lauded for taking a deal.

You reckon the other PAFC players wouldn't of been happy Paddy put them in front of his ex team mates?

Or your coaches wouldn't be happy with him.

As for the wider AFL, most were baying for Bombers blood at the time, he would have been lauded for taking a deal.
No, why would they.

You are trying to make it something it wasn't. There's no way known that Ryder would have got away with turning on Essendon like that, you are on a fantasy high horse.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is Ryder a free agent? I feel like the rules are weird about how many years you’ve been at your current club?

No one has referred to him as a free agent but really he should be.

Imagine if he left as a free agent and we actually got good compensation thanks to his BnF, AA, and potentially high wage.
No he isn't cause he split his time over two teams not the one, that takes him out of free agency as far as I understand it.

I remember when Essendon got a million top-up players and Gil told us to replace Ryder by upgrading Cam Hewett.

I still believe Essendon should have needed to split that top up money over future years salary cap space. They got the double bonus then of the returning players suing them and then playing for less to give cap space.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
No, why would they.

You are trying to make it something it wasn't. There's no way known that Ryder would have got away with turning on Essendon like that, you are on a fantasy high horse.

Why would his current team mates be happier he decided to stick with his former club and get a year, instead of taking a deal and only get weeks.

How would he have not got "away" with turning on Essendon - would they send some goons after him?

Seriously would be interested to know what they would have done to him if he took the deal.

Wasn't trying to be on a high horse, just responded to a post lamenting there wasn't anything Paddy could have done to prevent his year out.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

1103af564c4c8505e25a753355c1b62f.jpg

Paddy-Ryder.png

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I still believe Essendon should have needed to split that top up money over future years salary cap space. They got the double bonus then of the returning players suing them and then playing for less to give cap space.

Essingtons 'punishment' for the worst drug cheating scandal in Australia's history was a number 1 draft pick and free cap space. We're lucky they're so incompetent or they'd have been winning flags and rubbing it in our faces by now.

If it was a small Melbourne club or interstate club they'd have been booted out of the competition.

So is it time now to move the asterisks in this thread title to the beginning?

If he's going to the Bombers then just 'Paddy Ryder*' will do. It's one thing to be unwittingly caught up in a drug scandal at your football club. It's quite another to willingly and knowingly choose to return to that same football club a few years later.

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can honestly say I have only ever booed 2 ex port players nick Stevens and jnr because I was cut up about them leaving and they were both my faves ...

But if ryder returns to.them he can fu** right off

he can return to them … but only if we get a good 2020 draft pick

(to then be use towards getting - Schofield - :thumbsu: )

Back