Discussion Paddy v Petracca

Remove this Banner Ad

People defending club not drafting Petracca are missing a key detail..we also rated him as the best player in the draft but got spooked by the psyche tests and if he will fit in at the club. We were worried about spending $1m on a forward yet we go and spend $900k on hill. Character is important but you cannot ignore the talent Trac had over Paddy. Trac showed glimpses in his first 4-5yrs and now starting to get it all together. Its simple you dont take a speculative pick at no. 1, Trac was clearly a better player.
Everyone recognises it was the wrong decision. Some can understand the decision making behind the decision at the time.

Complaining about it 6 years later is just redundant at this point. We didn't get that decision right yet have found many highly talented players since then who have put our list in a great shape moving forward.

Even if Paddy had had no concussion issues he still would never have been any good. He was short, slow, the exact opposite of agile, had no forward craft or footy iq and the cherry on top he was a diabetic. It was a horrid decision no matter which way you paint it.

I would call this an attack on Paddy .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can‘t change history mate ,wonder why it’s still discussed.

Because we are still not playing finals 9 years into a rebuild. It was our Jack Watts moment and won’t go away until we move forward.

Everyone recognises it was the wrong decision. Some can understand the decision making behind the decision at the time.

Complaining about it 6 years later is just redundant at this point. We didn't get that decision right yet have found many highly talented players since then who have put our list in a great shape moving forward.

Made a lot good decisions as well starts with off field .

Bassat

Lethlean

Roughead

Ratten

Gallagher

Even if Paddy had had no concussion issues he still would never have been any good. He was short, slow, the exact opposite of agile, had no forward craft or footy iq and the cherry on top he was a diabetic. It was a horrid decision no matter which way you paint it.
Cmon now. People have short memories. Paddy was a brilliant pack mark. You can’t take that away from him. He was skilled and a great kick. He could play. Towards the end of his career here, concussions took away his game sense but it was phenomenal. He would have been lethal in the 80s, 90s or even 200s. Unfortunately not suited to the modern game.

Made a lot good decisions as well starts with off field .

Bassat

Lethlean

Roughead

Ratten

Gallagher

And that’s exactly what we needed. We were pretty poor in the past. Getting a blue-chip war room gives real hope for not messing it up any more.

George , when you have time please junk all the other talk so we can get back to footy in 2020 .

Will Steele stand out enough to get umpires votes ? I really hope he does . He could quite easily finish top three in the brownlow for this year . Has gone from being a tagger / shut down player to a player who needs to be shut down himself . What a season for him . And he wants to stay at the Saints for the rest of his career . Future captain !

I woke up this morning still wondering about the girl that smiled at me at the U16 school social - why didn't I ask her out - I know my life would have been perfect with her - still keeps me awake at nights.

FMD - what a way to live your life - constantly worrying about things that happened years ago that you cannot change!!!

I'm very surprised to hear that. Is your dr a GP?

Theres plenty of literature on it.

My doctor is a GP with sports medicine back ground as well .
I also just did a google search and can’t find any links . Perhaps you can let me know of one if there is plenty of literature on it .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to clean this mess up later, it needs its own thread. Amazing it's still a topic of discussion six years on.
It's not really when you think our number 1 pick has been delisted and pick 2, who lots, and lots of pundits believe we should have taken at 1, has just about become the most dangerous player in the AFL and might have just knocked us out of the finals race off his own boot on the weekend.

The topic will never go away unfortunately. And as a club we have to own our decision. And like so many other decisions our club in it's history, it's hard to stomach.

My doctor is a GP with sports medicine back ground as well .
I also just did a google search and can’t find any links . Perhaps you can let me know of one if there is plenty of literature on it .

It's not really when you think our number 1 pick has been delisted and pick 2, who lots, and lots of pundits believe we should have taken at 1, has just about become the most dangerous player in the AFL and might have just knocked us out of the finals race off his own boot on the weekend.

The topic will never go away unfortunately. And as a club we have to own our decision. And like so many other decisions our club in it's history, it's hard to stomach.
It was six years ago.

logged on today opened this thread skipping to page 34 in the hope the "we should have picked Tractor" talk might have ran its course and thinking the "geary is done" talk would be winding up and we might be able to talk about the actual game ... maybe ill come back at page 55...

I asked my doctor about diabetes and concussion and he said there isn’t enough data to know one way or the other at this stage .
So he got concussed playing in u18 game , so what , I’m sure lots of other footballers have got knocked out playing footy . I got knocked out playing u14 local footy by an accidental knee to the head , it happens.

There is some sort of link between concussion and blood sugar, and its certainly a topic that is being studied, even if there are no strong conclusions just yet.
Its becoming well known that repeated concussions are a big concern. I assume you only got knocked out the once.

Crusty is attacking Paddy .

I should clarify that I'm not trying to attack paddy I just don't rate him as a footballer and think it was a terrible decision to draft him at 1. Seems like an absolute top bloke and I'm hoping he never plays again so he can stay a top bloke and not have more severe mental health issues later in life.

And what about the literature on the affect of diabetes on recovery from concussion?

What about his ability to cope with an elite work load which richo openly questioned?

How about the concussion he sustained from his collision with sheed in an u18 game?

How about the amount of games missed through injury in his final u18 year?

There are some very high level athletes with very high workloads who have type 1.
However, i believe that one of the issues with AFL is the erratic workload.
For example, you could pretty much calculate the amount of energy an olympic swimmer will need to put out during his race, you can probably model their heart rate throughout the race and be almost spot on.
AFL just doesn't work like that, especially as a forward.

I think that made it a lot trickier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back