Discussion Paddy v Petracca

Remove this Banner Ad

All to late but it was the wrong choice then and now. Probably 4 more wins this year with petracca but who knows what happens if you change things in the past. Could have been the butterfly effect

Everyone recognises it was the wrong decision. Some can understand the decision making behind the decision at the time.

Complaining about it 6 years later is just redundant at this point. We didn't get that decision right yet have found many highly talented players since then who have put our list in a great shape moving forward.

It would be nice to reflect on those we did get right in the past few years for a change, instead of dwelling on those we didn’t - Clark, Coff, Paton - very good drafting
King, Battle and Bytel sliders, so a bit of luck there
Marshall, Wilkie, great recruits for next to nothing.

Every club would have hits and misses.

Last edited:
If we’d taken Petracca we’d be as good as Melbourne. Would everyone be happy with that?
So we would have won Saturday ?

It would be nice to reflect on those we did get right in the past few years for a change, instead of dwelling on those we didn’t - Clark, Coff, Paton - very good drafting
Battle and Bytel sliders, so a bit of luck there

Yep I agree, Nothing stopping people talking about that

Battle and Bytel sliders, so a bit of luck there

Steele - Man Of
King
Battle
Wilkie
Coffield
Clark
Paton
Marshall
Bytel (hopefully)
Byrnes
Howard
Jones
Butler
Have been great pick ups club has done a great job there, thats our core going forward just need to finish the list off

Future is bright

Jesus that took nearly 48 hrs to find the love again LOL

Steele - Man Of
King
Battle
Wilkie
Coffield
Clark
Paton
Marshall
Bytel (hopefully)
Byrnes
Howard
Jones
Butler
Have been great pick ups club has done a great job there, thats our core going forward just need to finish the list off

Future is bright

Jesus that took nearly 48 hrs to find the love again LOL

You forgot Hill. I’m not saying Ryder because he’s short term.

Don't really see the point of this.
Yes, in hindsight we should have taken Petracca. Even plenty of people back then said we should have taken him.
The team made huge mistakes chasing choirboys, rather than drafting on talent alone. We're still paying for it now but there's new management in town.

Paddy was a bust. What else is left to discuss?

King, Battle and Bytel sliders, so a bit of luck there

didn't Melbourne pass on Josh Kelly ? Dumb Flogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? You're over it after what Petracca essentially single handedly did on the weekend? You're a lot more virtuous than I am then old mate.
I actually don't care about Petracca at all. It was over half a decade ago. Must be depressing still thinking about missed opportunities. How about what we have now.

The first link doesn’t seem to work but the second one does . I tried reading it but it goes way over my head lol, but thanks for the links , interesting stuff .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We take Petracca, we (likely) don't have;

Gresh
Carlisle
Steele
Long
Battle
Clark
Coffield
Hanners
Kent
Max Motherf*ckin King
Wilkie
Bytel
Byrnes
Howard
Hill
Ryder
Jones
Butler

etc etc

So, s**t decision at the time, but I'll take where we're at (player-wise) at the moment, throw this convo in the who-gives-a-flying-toss bin, and move right along.

Last edited:
Don't really see the point of this.
Yes, in hindsight we should have taken Petracca. Even plenty of people back then said we should have taken him.
The team made huge mistakes chasing choirboys, rather than drafting on talent alone. We're still paying for it now but there's new management in town.

Paddy was a bust. What else is left to discuss?
Spot-on.

I used to play a lot of poker and there was a term for the sort of behavior where you agonize over hands you folded when you see what cards are in the table: rabbit hunting.

Once you’ve made an informed decision to do something, you have to forget about it and move on. You can’t act like you knew how the future would turn out at the time you made the decision.

It’s pointless hand-wringing after the event and can often be destructive as it ends up impacting negatively on future decisions.

And, above all else, raking over mistakes can torture a person mentally. It pretty much always leads to unhappiness. It is common though unfortunately, as you see from people on this forum constantly bringing up this particular mistake.

Remember the "This mob didn't want you!" story on the AFL's website?
If he'd played for us they'd be calling him a fat slug.

I think this one still resinates with the people all these years later because it was just so bloody obvious at the time. Obvious what he would become. A beast.

Everyone had him at no 1. Us included until the week leading up to the draft.

When it was leaked that we were going to take Paddy everyone had to get on board with it pretty quickly and it was a shock to many, I remember the posts. There's been some revisionist history around this since.

Of course we all then had to come around and embrace the decision, embrace Paddy, find whatever reason we could to justify it and just bloody hope we'd pulled off a masterstroke from left-field.

At the peak (low?) of our rebuild it was finally our time to take a bonafide gun at no 1. You don't get em often. Lowly teams at least get to pickup a Riewoldt, a Whitfield, a Walsh, a Rowell. Hell i'd be happy with a bloody Cam Rayner right now. It was our turn and there was a really exciting consensus no 1 there for us too. I was stoked.

And then we did what we did.

Pretty soon it turns out everyone with a pair of eyes were right and Trout was indeed a ******* imbecile.

Seriously how can you stuff that up and pass on the clear no 1. I still can't reconcile it in my mind. Makes it worse that Trout was my schoolmates next door neighbour and he'd tell me about chatting with ol m8 over the fence all things footy. Then he somehow became our head recruiter. My numpty mates numpty neighbour, ****.

I'll add, it's also the sickening feeling of deja vu about it all. For a decade we've discussed ad nauseam the 'what could have beens' over a crucial draft choice decision. And here we are again. Such is the impact this stuff has when it's all played out.

I think this one still resinates with the people all these years later because it was just so bloody obvious at the time. Obvious what he would become. A beast.

Everyone had him at no 1. Us included until the week leading up to the draft.

When it was leaked that we were going to take Paddy everyone had to get on board with it pretty quickly and it was a shock to many, I remember the posts. There's been some revisionist history around this since.

Of course we all then had to come around and embrace the decision, embrace Paddy, find whatever reason we could to justify it and just bloody hope we'd pulled off a masterstroke from left-field.

At the peak (low?) of our rebuild it was finally our time to take a bonafide gun at no 1. You don't get em often. Lowly teams at least get to pickup a Riewoldt, a Whitfield, a Walsh, a Rowell. Hell i'd be happy with a bloody Cam Rayner right now. It was our turn and there was a really exciting consensus no 1 there for us too. I was stoked.

And then we did what we did.

Pretty soon it turns out everyone with a pair of eyes were right and Trout was indeed a ******* imbecile.

Seriously how can you stuff that up and pass on the clear no 1. I still can't reconcile it in my mind. Makes it worse that Trout was my schoolmates next door neighbour and he'd tell me about chatting with ol m8 over the fence all things footy. Then he somehow became our head recruiter. My numpty mates numpty neighbour, ****.
I’m nearly certain the biggest fool ever, pelchen is the main reason we took him. Matter of fact I am certain. He has more to answer than maybe anyone else we have ever had at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back