Review PAFC 2020 Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright.

When our gameplan fails, where does it fail?
Centre clearances and stoppage scores, but that doesn't always mean "hacking" the ball forward. That was an area we did much better this year and it was only really the Prelim lost where it seemed to become the game-changing issue.

I guess it was the same for all of the 18 AFL clubs but going another year with out a secondary competition for unselected players cannot be tolerated. The draft class of 2019 certainly got a raw deal as most of their chances to impress were in “friendlies”. The Maggie’s must be flying in 2022.

Because Frawley was the only senior player that Hawthorn brought into their side.

Because Brian Lake, Stuart Dew, Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson and David Hale were never important players for Hawthorn.
No thoughts on Geelong? Look, just trying to say the core of your list comes from the draft and any time you give up a pick for a 28 year old just know if you dont win a GF, it costs you a potential 10 year player.

How this year will be judge in my book will be determined on how the next few years go. If we win a premiership in the next 2 years i will look back with a good emotions, if we don’t make the 8 for 2 years in a row it will be the biggest missed opportunity

This is it exactly for me.

This year is either the stepping stone to an era of greatness, or one of the worst missed opportunities we've ever seen.

2014 was the latter. We'll know what this is in 2 or 3 years time.

Agree with the sentiment but Bont isn’t going to happen. Do we have anyone who can be a Bontempelli? I don’t think so, although Butters and Rozee will offer more creativity in the midfield than what we’ve traditionally had. Could Bergman become that sort of dynamic, powerful midfielder over time? I guess we’ll wait and see.

1603057926360.png

C+

Enough to push you through on the public school system but you're not bragging to anyone really until your 12 beers deep and even then it's about something weird Like an A- for basketball ball in PE

May or may not be an accurate reflection of my life

C+

Enough to push you through on the public school system but you're not bragging to anyone really until your 12 beers deep and even then it's about something weird Like an A- for basketball ball in PE

May or may not be an accurate reflection of my life

If losing a preliminary final by a goal is a C+ how do you get a B or an A-?

We had a solid season which undoubtedly included positive moments and reasons to be hopeful for the future...

But we missed the Grand Final after finishing on top, so you have to say it was a failure.

Opportunities like we had on Friday don't come around very often, and things can change quickly, so we shouldn't take the notion that we'll be back next year as some sort of certainty.

A buddy of mine texted me yesterday and actually said that it was a silver lining that we lost a close PF because "it will build resilience" and "losing to Geelong in the GF would have set us back 3-4 years"... All I replied with was "losing that close PF to Hawthorn really worked well for us" and "you'd always rather be in the GF than not".

So whilst we can rightly feel pleased with the way the players fought out a strong season, and rightly feel disappointed that we ultimately failed, I will only look upon this season positively if we do actually back it up next season and on into the future. There is no guarantee that we'll replicate this, and if we fall back into the post-2014 malaise then it will only serve to highlight just how much a wasted opportunity 2020 was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shifting the goalposts to dodge the question I see, nice strategy.

You should change the laziest poster nickname to "I only post if my club is losing"
Carn, he's one of the better posters around here.

After Dixon's goal in the fourth to put us up, we lined up with Wines, Gray and Rockliff in the center, I knew straight away that Richmond was going to win that centre clearing with those 3 being unable to force a stoppage.

As much as the Tigers midfield group beat ours for speed, a massive share of the blame has to go to Lycett for letting Toby Nankervis get long hitouts out of the centre into space every ****ing time in Q4. Lycett is supposed to be a nullifying ruckman and Nankervis isn't exactly Gawn or Grundy. Couple that with the numerous uncontested intercept marks Nank took, and that matchup was the difference in the end IMO.

That game has convinced me that it's time for Lycett to no longer be considered a walk up start. Sam Hayes should play plenty of football next year.

If Port Adelaide played on emotion we would win every week, sad really that it takes a reason other than a flag to win games of football. Next year there will be no 150th, old players getting older.
The one thing that gives most clubs an injection in the arm is new faces, in particular a new coach, unfortunately we will have to wait at least another season.

When does the message start to get stale from the head coach, i'm sure he must be running out of motivational talk by now and the players thinking yeah yeah, heard it all before.

As much as the Tigers midfield group beat ours for speed, a massive share of the blame has to go to Lycett for letting Toby Nankervis get long hitouts out of the centre into space every ****ing time in Q4. Lycett is supposed to be a nullifying ruckman and Nankervis isn't exactly Gawn or Grundy. Couple that with the numerous uncontested intercept marks Nank took, and that matchup was the difference in the end IMO.

That game has convinced me that it's time for Lycett to no longer be considered a walk up start. Sam Hayes should play plenty of football next year.
He's no tap ruckman, that's for sure. My wife that doesn't get into footy like me said, how come their guy gets the ball to his players and ours doesnt'.

Carn, he's one of the better posters around here.
How??? I've been playing a massive amount of catch up on the review threads over the weekend and I don't think I saw him comment on a single one of our winning threads. Then all of a sudden post-prelim he goes on a posting spree. And the coach was his first target. If it's supposed to be humorous then I certainly don't see why. Otherwise, it's just unhealthy. Maybe back in 2003 he had some sort of reputation that I'm not aware of but I'm just pointing out what I see, and all I see is overexaggerated negative s**t. If somebody is chewing loud with their mouth open and you ask them to quiet down it shouldn't be so complicated. Regardless, this isn't on the topic of the thread. This year was factually better than last year's slop and it should be acknowledged for however big or small people find it.

Where the fu** did 5-10 years come from???
Is every position from 2nd to 18th suppose to be mediocre or worse all of a sudden.
2021 player ages.

Jonas 30
Boak 33
Gray 33
Motlop 30
Ebert - retire
Westhoff -retire
Hartlett 31
Rocky 31
Dixon 31

Have you got ready made replacements for these guys?

Last edited:
How??? I've been playing a massive amount of catch up on the review threads over the weekend and I don't think I saw him comment on a single one of our winning threads. Then all of a sudden post-prelim he goes on a posting spree. And the coach was his first target. If it's supposed to be humorous then I certainly don't see why. Otherwise, it's just unhealthy. Maybe back in 2003 he had some sort of reputation that I'm not aware of but I'm just pointing out what I see, and all I see is overexaggerated negative sh*t. If somebody is chewing loud with their mouth open and you ask them to quiet down it shouldn't be so complicated. Regardless, this isn't on the topic of the thread. This year was factually better than last year's slop and it should be acknowledged for however big or small people find it.
The coaching has been an issue for a long time now, and I don't think taking aim at him is as out of order as you're making it out to be. I'm also certain that he has been sighted in review threads after wins, for what it's worth.

The coaching has been an issue for a long time now, and I don't think taking aim at him is as out of order as you're making it out to be. I'm also certain that he has been sighted in review threads after wins, for what it's worth.
Didn't exactly say that it was out of order. It's not even surprising, I've purely sighted it because it's exaggerated. I want our fans to keep the pressure on Ken but that doesn't mean going straight for his neck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back