PAFC CEO Matthew Richardson

Opinions change, people change. Don't see any point in dwelling on something so long ago that no longer has any significance.

I feel the same TBH. Worry about what people are, not who they were. Otherwise we have to delist Trent McKenzie and Karl Amon at the end of the season.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I am happy with this.

Richo obviously has been successful after a pretty robust process.

Most importantly to me, I feel like he genuinely wants to enact the will of the supporter base. He came out publicly and asked people for feedback. He copped a lot of angry, frustrated vitriol and he engaged with people on social media and email and personally responded to them.

Most importantly, our messaging and attitude changed, dramatically for the better. Chalk and cheese. And as predicted, the better attitude at the top carried through to the football department.

I trust that Port Adelaide supporters have a good read on what makes a good football club, and I trust Matthew Richardson to continue to listen to us and act based on our beliefs.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I'm not fussed about the PAMFC stuff 15 years later.

The identity crisis hurt everyone. We responded to it by strongly pushing the fact that we were the real Port Adelaide (god I haven't missed talking about this) and that the PAMFC were a vestigial SANFL requirement foisted on us. The PAMFC were forced into a situation where they were required to defend their heritage. The whole argument sucked. It absolutely succeeded in driving a wedge and it took Timmy G and Fiacchi to bring the club back together and end this madness.

Richo just defended his side in the midst of that absolute load of s**t, as was his direct responsibility. I don't think that says anything about his current position on an argument that no longer exists. He'll be a positive thing for how we recognise our heritage.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Brendan Gale retired in 2001, stayed in footy, and Richmond CEO by 2009. Now possibly the best going round. What strong cooperate connections did he manage to make in the intervening years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

morell

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I mean, he had the PAMFC website changed from:

“In 1996, after 126 years of success the PAFC moved into the AFL, with the PAMFC created to compete in the SANFL in its stead" to,

"In 1996 the PAFC (Power) was created to join the AFL with the PAFC remaining in the SANFL as the PAMFC".

And when I emailed him about it he answered with:

“Happy to leave that to you, we are just updating our site to reflect the facts

The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club Inc. was first incorporated in 1956 and changed it’s name in 1996 from Port Adelaide Football Club to Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club – it remains the same Incorporated body

Simple as that”

But sure. What a guy!
:mad:

Nup, sorry. Thats core values stuff.

#SACKRICHO

Yeah, I also see this as a positive. He was PAMFC CEO and it was his job to put the organisation he led above everything else.

It's kind of like being mad at Steven Motlop for kicking a goal against us when he played for Geelong. It was his job.

Apr 3, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Brooklyn Nets
And then jumped ship to 'port power' just years later. Disappointing appointment but reading between the lines of recent press from Koch and Thomas, the internal option is often the cheaper one at a time of slash and burn from our Lords and Master's at Docklands.

As important as BTTB is...it's small fry in the context of what actually matters and that's premiership winning program and, particularly for the CEO, corporate revenue. Every AFL club outside of the big five is in peril now, we can't afford - literally - to be LOPA anymore, and a connected corporate CEO is essential to that.
What is BTTB?

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Now that this appointment is finally confirmed I can stop contemplating my navel and focus on a clutch of advisory projects that have been held up by covid and pending the CEO transition at the Club.

Congrats Richo.

We have worked together successfully through ups and downs and sideways interludes since early 2013, and I look forward to making those seven or so years just the start of ultimate undisputed success for Port Adelaide Football Club.

The Big Picture just came back into focus.
I liked this post twice!

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
He spoke well at his introductory presser. He understands the club and would have been privy to the machinations of all the business deals over the last 12 months or so at the very least.

I was impressed at his presser that he clearly had a presence when he spoke & it came from a place of substance rather than sizzle. Demetriou was spot on when he told Koch that we need to capitalise on the momentum the club currently has.

The 150th year was just the beginning. The beginning of our club cultural reset. A club which for the last 5 years had been content with just being thereabouts has been reset to the expectations the club had back in the glory days of the 60s through the 90s.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I mean, he had the PAMFC website changed from:

“In 1996, after 126 years of success the PAFC moved into the AFL, with the PAMFC created to compete in the SANFL in its stead" to,

"In 1996 the PAFC (Power) was created to join the AFL with the PAFC remaining in the SANFL as the PAMFC".

And when I emailed him about it he answered with:

“Happy to leave that to you, we are just updating our site to reflect the facts

The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club Inc. was first incorporated in 1956 and changed it’s name in 1996 from Port Adelaide Football Club to Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club – it remains the same Incorporated body

Simple as that”

But sure. What a guy!
He was very misguided back then. Stupid stuff looking for relevance. Wish him the best but he should make that history disappear. We all know what happened and to pull out a legal document shows some real naivety but Magpies board were looking for status and relevance back then I am sure

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In 2005-06 the Power board and management, under pressure from both SANFL and AFL to become more profitable, were looking at changing our name to Southern Power, pushing the teal for the kids angle, and killing off the Magpies. They might not have progressed a long way down that road, but they had started the journey.

Nearly all of the board who started in 1995 and 1996 had finished up by 2005.

Richo's call out in 2006 was a shot across the bow to wake them up and stop doing it.

It worked, it fired up the base of Port supporters who knew who the real Port was and it help start the push to the OneClub merger. Boulton was the last 1995/96 board member and he handed over to Duncanson at the end of 2008.

Summerton's call in 2013 was an emotional plea as he knew his team mates were going and potentially even him were going to be axed and local Port district players were not going to get the chance to play for Port Adelaide in the SANFL. Did I like his rantings at the time? No. Did I understand where he was coming from? Yes - absolutely.
That’s funny REH, I thought you would know out of anyone that is utter b/s and fake news. Southern Power, what a load of crap. That’s an old fashioned set up, bait and switch and please, surely you did not believe that crap. Was that from Magpies? Sad if it was. Bucky was always passionate about Teal for the kids, that’s the only truth in this post.

That’s funny REH, I thought you would know out of anyone that is utter b/s and fake news. Southern Power, what a load of crap. That’s an old fashioned set up, bait and switch and please, surely you did not believe that crap. Was that from Magpies? Sad if it was. Bucky was always passionate about Teal for the kids, that’s the only truth in this post.
A bait and switch by whom?

I have looked up some old posts. Richo made his statement and changed the Magpies website in early 2007. The Power board and management started the push to change our branding and target market in 2006. Whilst Southern Power was a lot later than 2006, there was a move to drop Port Adelaide by 2008.

This Port Marketing thread on here from 2008 states cleary John James attempt to change this. Read the post I have linked where Ford Fairlane quotes John James repositioning Port's brand - then read the rest of the thread. From May 2008

In that article John James said -
“Research showed that most Power supporters are in the southern area, which would really surprise most South Australians.”

The constant reference to the Power, in contrast to Port or Port Adelaide, by James is deliberate. He says it’s about the club’s new approach to branding, trying to attract life-time SANFL supporters who have traditionally resented, even hated, the Port Adelaide Magpies.

“I guess the best analogy is General Electric, now GE, and especially Kentucky Fried Chicken that doesn’t like to say fried anymore, so it’s always KFC,

At the time I said that was bullshit. It was spin to push the rebranding. I don't think the phrase Southern Power started to be used before late 2010 early 2011. my bad on that front.

Another May 2008 thread about branding

June 2008 more discussion on our branding coming from the club

Ford Fairlane at the following post in the above thread probably is the first to use Southern Power phrase
If you're asking about support if we were renamed say the Southern Power FC Inc, that's a tough one. My initial response would be an immediate drop off to casual supporter (ie no financial support) and as Sandola suggested having some interest in 'our boys'. Ultimately how that interest would carry on over time I can't answer. It's not easy to give up a near lifetime habit overnight.

Marketing Focus groups with members set up in July 2008 a few weeks after John James had announced his resignation. Read Big Footy posters who attended them and told the club to stop ******* around with our marketing and branding of who we are at:

November 2008 Port's website starts to change its messaging following the Focus Groups above input a few months earlier

November 2008 they didn't fully listen, they were *in' around with the creed.

Last edited:
A bait and switch by whom?

I have looked up some old posts. Richo made his statement and changed the Magpies website in early 2007. The Power board and management started the push to change our branding and target market in 2006. Whilst Southern Power was a lot later than 2006, there was a move to drop Port Adelaide by 2008.

This Port Marketing thread on here from 2008 states cleary John James attempt to change this. Read the post I have linked where Ford Fairlane quotes John James repositioning Port's brand - then read the rest of the thread. From May 2008

In that article John James said -

At the time I said that was bullshit. It was spin to push the rebranding. I don't think the phrase Southern Power started to be used before late 2010 early 2011. my bad on that front.

Another May 2008 thread about branding

June 2008 more discussion on our branding coming from the club

Ford Fairlane at the following post in the above thread probably is the first to use Southern Power phrase

Marketing Focus groups with members set up in July 2008 a few weeks after John James had announced his resignation. Read Big Footy posters who attended them and told the club to stop ******* around with our marketing and branding of who we are at:

November 2008 Port's website starts to change its messaging following the Focus Groups above input a few months earlier

November 2008 they didn't fully listen, they were fu**in' around with the creed.

I was having lunch with a one of the board members at that time and he sounded me out on the Southern Power thing. He was genuinely shocked when I said that it would be the worst thing the club could do. Lose/alienate existing members for very little gain.

The weird thing is that at the same lunch he told me about using the Creed to present what the club was about. Total mixed message. I’m guessing we didn’t have a very cohesive board at the time.

Looking at where the club is right now with its identity and branding and it’s hard to believe how close we came to becoming a generic SA football franchise, by our own choice.

KT may have had some missteps along the way, but I definitely got the sense that he knew the strength of the club was its history and heritage. (as does Richardson, I might add)

From Richo's presser

"I've done a 20 year audition with the club through various projects and roles. I think my understanding and ability to connect Port Adelaide, internally and externally, makes me the best candidate for the role"

"It is a true honour to take on this role at Port Adelaide. It comes with a lot of expectation, not externally, but expectation lives here at Port Adelaide. I thank the board for the opportunity"

"I feel like we have fantastic momentum as a footy club. We just need to continue that momentum into next year. Our footy department under Ken and Chris, while we fell short of a premiership this year, it gives us a great platform heading into a new season"

"As a football club our goal is to win games, connect with our members and invest in relationships with corporate partners that love us"

I was having lunch with a one of the board members at that time and he sounded me out on the Southern Power thing. He was genuinely shocked when I said that it would be the worst thing the club could do. Lose/alienate existing members for very little gain.

Kevin Foley was leading that charge from the sidelines wasn’t he?

I could never work out where this populist idea that Port being Port was the problem.

Alienating hundreds of thousands of Port people, in a bid to attract hundreds of neutrals who weren’t enamoured by the Crows state branding, but were seemingly clamouring to jump on the abject nothingness of ‘South Coast’?

The weird thing is that at the same lunch he told me about using the Creed to present what the club was about. Total mixed message. I’m guessing we didn’t have a very cohesive board at the time.

Looking at where the club is right now with its identity and branding and it’s hard to believe how close we came to becoming a generic SA football franchise, by our own choice.

KT may have had some missteps along the way, but I definitely got the sense that he knew the strength of the club was its history and heritage. (as does Richardson, I might add)
I'll try not to labour the point, but 5 years or so ago when Richo told me why he did what he did back in 2007, he said the board was pushing the changes he thought were wrong ones.

As Ford said in the marketing focus group thread, we tended to take it out on John James but the strategy would have been set by the board and he would have had to carry it out.

Maybe having to do that was unpleasant for him and just as decisive for him wanting to leave, as getting sick of having all those s**t fights with SANFL and returning to investment industry where he would have gone back to his previous salary or even higher than before joining Port. Your post confirms what Ford wrote and what Richo told me 5 years ago.

By the way, this post you made in May 2008 was spot on.

Last edited:
Back