PAFC CEO Matthew Richardson

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's hard to believe the club ever got to the point of discussing 'Southern Power' and associated horse s**t, I mean being hamstrung financially by the SANFL & the backwater SA market already monopolized by the quasi state team is one thing, but to be that detached from what Port Adelaide is and the strength & numbers within that community is truly frightening.

I may have missed it but is there any reason why KT hung on for the season when we were going with an internal hire anyway? Was Richardson not lined up at the start of the year? KT's exit was flagged for quite a while.

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kevin Foley was running on the 'less Port Adelaide and more Power' ticket, also. People can say what they like about Koch but heaven knows where the Club would be at if Foley was successful in his bid to be President.

This was part of a piece he penned in August 2012. Bullet dodged.

"We have to compete with the Crows as the team for all South Australians. We have to grow our membership base, appeal to a broader range of corporates and market ourselves as a team that anyone can and should want to support. That means the branding, marketing and positioning of our club must be less about Port Adelaide and more about The Power. We have to face up to the fact that as much as we love our heritage, most of the state doesn't share our passion. We don't have to cut ties with the Port at all; it's our home and our heart, but not our future.

The Power is a fantastic brand and one that should be a marketer's dream. Why can't we be the team for all South Australians? Why have we surrendered that turf to the Crows?

My way will upset many diehards.
"

I may have missed it but is there any reason why KT hung on for the season when we were going with an internal hire anyway? Was Richardson not lined up at the start of the year? KT's exit was flagged for quite a while.
Covid uncertainties. We were undermanned and under resourced.

If there was no Covid the plan was for us to look for a CEO before the China game, if an outsider was found, he/she would have come on board before the China game, gone to Shanghai and KT probably would have left by/on 30 June.

China game called off early March, great uncertainty sets in.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kevin Foley was running on the 'less Port Adelaide and more Power' ticket, also. People can say what they like about Koch but heaven knows where the Club would be at if Foley was successful in his bid to be President.

This was part of a piece he penned in August 2012. Bullet dodged.

"We have to compete with the Crows as the team for all South Australians. We have to grow our membership base, appeal to a broader range of corporates and market ourselves as a team that anyone can and should want to support. That means the branding, marketing and positioning of our club must be less about Port Adelaide and more about The Power. We have to face up to the fact that as much as we love our heritage, most of the state doesn't share our passion. We don't have to cut ties with the Port at all; it's our home and our heart, but not our future.

The Power is a fantastic brand and one that should be a marketer's dream. Why can't we be the team for all South Australians? Why have we surrendered that turf to the Crows?

"
Well he got the last line right.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's hard to believe the club ever got to the point of discussing 'Southern Power' and associated horse sh*t, I mean being hamstrung financially by the SANFL & the backwater SA market already monopolized by the quasi state team is one thing, but to be that detached from what Port Adelaide is and the strength & numbers within that community is truly frightening.

As much as it hurts to accept it, the seeds of such thoughts began when Bolton and Cunningham were still at the club. Mark and Jenny Williams pushed it and Hitaaf Rasheed was 100% convinced that it was the only way to survive. Director Robert Howie wanted no trace of black and white anywhere.

I wonder how things would have trekked had the board of directors that steered the club into the AFL were the inaugural AFL board of directors.

"

The only document with more wrong in it is the minutes from the Wannsee Conference.

Mark and Jenny Williams pushed it and Hitaaf Rasheed was 100% convinced that it was the only way to survive. Director Robert Howie wanted no trace of black and white anywhere.

Oof. I guess it’s hard to see the wood from the trees when you’re ensconced at the core, with your livelihood on the line in some cases.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As much as it hurts to accept it, the seeds of such thoughts began when Bolton and Cunningham were still at the club. Mark and Jenny Williams pushed it and Hitaaf Rasheed was 100% convinced that it was the only way to survive. Director Robert Howie wanted no trace of black and white anywhere.

I wonder how things would have trekked had the board of directors that steered the club into the AFL were the inaugural AFL board of directors.
If it happened I can actually imagine Mark & Jenny still condoning it.. Fos was always about the future he wore a teal tie to a dinner dance in 1951.

Hitaaf's vision of our only way to survive shook me the most. On par with Foley except Foley wasn't a club employee with influence.

All this has reminded me of the similar misguided PURPLE = TEAL inspo mined from an ascendant Freo too.

It wouldn't be Port in the AFL it would have been a Port/Norwood Hybrid to 'broaden appeal'.

Norwood Tealsters!

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
DA32422C-4B00-4D62-860B-F7479CCA7B4E.png

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Outstanding interview, answered Dwayne's dumb "magpie link" question better than anyone has during our AFL era. Mentioned twice a year for Prison Bar and defended our position brilliantly re the guernsey.

Interview below:

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Outstanding interview, answered Dwayne's dumb "magpie link" question better than anyone has during our AFL era. Mentioned twice a year for Prison Bar and defended our position brilliantly re the guernsey.

Interview below:

Yes I thought he handled Drayno well

Are they replacing the ******* port club carpet though? That s**t is foul.

Then put a piece of the carpet in the museum where it belongs. inb4 "exciting stuff upstairs" is cardboard cutouts of players for some selfie zone.

COVID will have scaled this back, alot.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Interview below:

Dwayne: How do you see your link to the Magpies playing out going forward?
Richo: There is no link Dwayne, the Magpies are us!
:tearsofjoy:
So nice to not have to hear KT bumbling through another interview! Love him, but....

Last edited:
The more I hear from Richo the more comfortable I am with his appointment. I was a bit sceptical at first, as some on here were, but he's winning me over. He seems very clear on where, and who we are as a club and what the important issues are for us for the future. He's clearly been getting up to speed and ready to step into the role well before the actual changeover date. He speaks well and says all the right things, now to see how he turns words into actions. Promising.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
The more I hear from Richo the more comfortable I am with his appointment.
He speaks well and says all the right things, now to see how he turns words into actions.

That's the critical thing!

But yeah! Sounded composed in his interview with Dwayne the Drain, and articulated his position well.
Good mix of "aspirational" forward thinking stuff and nods to the fanbase (and the things historic, which we hold dear to our hearts).

Back