PAFC CEO Matthew Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Achieving Greatness?
Committed to Greatness?
Driving to Greatness?
Aren’t “Committed” and “Driving” equivalent to “Chasing?”

“Achieving” is bad. We don’t want want to achieve it. It’s something we will be always after, no matter the results.

Aren’t “Committed” and “Driving” equivalent to “Chasing?”

“Achieving” is bad. We don’t want want to achieve it. It’s something we will be always after, no matter the results.
I agree that we should keep aspiring to reach higher levels, even if you have supposedly made it to the top.

"Achieving" lacks humility & is embarrassing ... If after just one season in six years where we have performed well, we use that, the AFL-world would rightly rip us apart for it.

Lots of overthinking going on here in regards to Chasing Greatness.

It‘s the title of the strategic framework they are working to, not a new club motto. It is meant to show the intent of a raft of strategies and tactics aimed at getting the club to the top and keeping it there.

Chasing is the right phrase because it implies a never ending cycle of improvement.

I like it, and would buy merch with that on it. I always thought "We are Port Adelaide" a bit generic, although it works a treat on my Power/Magpies scarf.
We are Port Adelaide is an important statement in a world where we're still putting up with halfwits trying to tell us 'yoUR prOt PoWRe eSt. I998'

It‘s the title of the strategic framework they are working to, not a new club motto. It is meant to show the intent of a raft of strategies and tactics aimed at getting the club to the top and keeping it there.

Chasing is the right phrase because it implies a never ending cycle of improvement.
Pffft. All piss and wind.

Chasing could also be interpreted as "always trying, but never attaining".

Not being critical of the Club, just pointing out that people, being human, will always look at things with varying perspectives.

I commend the PAFC for endeavouring to set a framework in place that (hopefully) establishes sucessful outcomes, and emboldens everyone within the Club to believe that they can succeed, and gives them the drive and confidence to reach the pinnacle, and then try even harder to maintain that position.

Chasing could also be interpreted as "always trying, but never attaining".

Not being critical of the Club, just pointing out that people, being human, will always look at things with varying perspectives.

I commend the PAFC for endeavouring to set a framework in place that (hopefully) establishes sucessful outcomes, and emboldens everyone within the Club to believe that they can succeed, and gives them the drive and confidence to reach the pinnacle, and then try even harder to maintain that position.
Actually agree. You absolutely cannot use any word implying we have attained it, eg., 'achieving.' But chasing is IMO not not the best either. I think of a small child wildly chasing a puppy around the back yard and never catching it.

So what options? The one that comes to mind is pursuing/pursuit.
Port Adelaide ....
"In the pursuit of greatness"
"Pursuing greatness"

I know it is semantics, but its a better word that, IMO, implies stronger intent. Cops tend to pursue criminals, rather than chase them.

Overthinking as suggested earlier? Probably, but just my 10 cents worth in the off-season.

Plus, Geelong have already done the greatness thing better.

01-selwood1.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus, Geelong have already done the greatness thing better.

01-selwood1.png
We are using it internally!

Besides, ours is actually superior. We simply state: “We are Port Adelaide.” It’s enough.

Actually agree. You absolutely cannot use any word implying we have attained it, eg., 'achieving.' But chasing is IMO not not the best either. I think of a small child wildly chasing a puppy around the back yard and never catching it.

So what options? The one that comes to mind is pursuing/pursuit.
Port Adelaide ....
"In the pursuit of greatness"
"Pursuing greatness"

I know it is semantics, but its a better word that, IMO, implies stronger intent. Cops tend to pursue criminals, rather than chase them.

Overthinking as suggested earlier? Probably, but just my 10 cents worth in the off-season.

We are greatness? Hmmmm sounds familiar

Its hard to get the words right. As long as Richo and the team have got clear goals, have focus and allocate investments to what really matters. Its a premiership that we are chasing, call it whatever you want but for me it is our next premiership and financial stability/sustainability that we are focussed on.
Get our next premiership and now we are (outside the SMA deal) free of the SANFL we should be able to leverage the short term increased Membership / winnings / merchandise sales and medium/long term extra/increased sponsorships into being financially stable. Whilst it's not as simple as win the flag and everything solved, it's the one thing (short of a benevolent billionaire) that will get us closest.

Strike 1.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was always going to get that strike.

No way was anything less than 2 years going to be offered by Koch and co. At least its not 4 years or the 2+1 BS type deal like the last one.

The beauty is as we are one of the club to get extra distributions from the AFL due to covid, then if we sack our coach, the maximum payout is 6 months not all of the remaining term of the contract. That means the trigger isn't so hard to pull.

If we go s**t this year or next we can sack him without a massive financial consequence. I don't expect that to happen. Then 2023 he starts with its a premiership or no new deal. A lot of BS speculation all year, but bad luck, because if he doesn't win a flag after 11 seasons, he never will.

Last edited:
He was always going to get that strike.

No way was anything less than 2 years going to be offered by Koch and co. At least its not 4 years or the 2+1 BS type deal like the last one.

The beauty is as we are one of the club to get extra distributions from the AFL due to covid, then if we sack our coach, the maximum payout is 6 months not all of the remaining term of the contract. That means the trigger isn't so hard to pull.

If we got sh*t this year or next we can sack him without a massive financial consequence. I don't expect that to happen. Then 2023 he starts with its a premiership or no new deal. A lot of BS speculation all year, but bad luck, because if he doesn't win a flag after 11 seasons, he never will.

That's a long time to wait!

Imagine how stale Amanda's beer will be by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back