PAFC launches Womens Aboriginal AFL Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Some very basic things, most of us just take for granted will happen. From the Tsier story

That same thing is on Colleen Karpany’s mind too: “I’m the first person in my family to go overseas,” the Avenues College student says. “These people at Port Adelaide have given me a big privilege, a big privilege.

“Before I came here I didn’t even have a birth certificate, so they got that for me and now I can do more things: I can go get my driver’s licence and get a job, open a bank account.

“There are so many opportunities they have given me now and the best one they’ve given me is to come over here and learn these fellas’ culture … it’s been deadly.

“But before, without my birth certificate or my passport, I wasn’t really looking forward to anything. But now when I go home to Adelaide, I’ve got to do something. I’ve got to get my L’s or a job. It will be good.”

Last edited:
Something very basic things most of us just take for granted will happen. From the Tsier story

That same thing is on Colleen Karpany’s mind too: “I’m the first person in my family to go overseas,” the Avenues College student says. “These people at Port Adelaide have given me a big privilege, a big privilege.

“Before I came here I didn’t even have a birth certificate, so they got that for me and now I can do more things: I can go get my driver’s licence and get a job, open a bank account.

“There are so many opportunities they have given me now and the best one they’ve given me is to come over here and learn these fellas’ culture … it’s been deadly.

“But before, without my birth certificate or my passport, I wasn’t really looking forward to anything. But now when I go home to Adelaide, I’ve got to do something. I’ve got to get my L’s or a job. It will be good.”
Damn! Is someone cutting onions around here?!

Bloody Cows pinching our aboriginal women's coach and half our players for their ******* indigenous Acaemy side.
****silly people :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I was thinking of priorities and posting about them but it isn't worth the argument. If everyone is happy I am happy.

It would be nice if we actually had an AFL women's team that these girls can play in. As it stands we put in the effort and the Crows sit back and pick up the rewards. We have all these you beaut Academies who are doing good work but where does the output finish up playing?

Good luck to the girls and well done to the Club for providing pathways but what about putting more effort into giving the girls the chance to pull on a Port guernsey in an SANFL or AFL competition? Doubtless there is a bigger picture to this but from a purely football perspective if you are going to establish a development structure it would make sense to have a high profile competition for the girls to play in. As it stands we are simply developing players and support staff for the Crows.

There is plenty of publicity when the girls go to New Zealand or the boys go to China but I have not heard David Koch demanding an AFL women's team or turning up the blow torch.

I was thinking of priorities and posting about them but it isn't worth the argument. If everyone is happy I am happy.

It would be nice if we actually had an AFL women's team that these girls can play in. As it stands we put in the effort and the Crows sit back and pick up the rewards. We have all these you beaut Academies who are doing good work but where does the output finish up playing?

Good luck to the girls and well done to the Club for providing pathways but what about putting more effort into giving the girls the chance to pull on a Port guernsey in an SANFL or AFL competition? Doubtless there is a bigger picture to this but from a purely football perspective if you are going to establish a development structure it would make sense to have a high profile competition for the girls to play in. As it stands we are simply developing players and support staff for the Crows.

There is plenty of publicity when the girls go to New Zealand or the boys go to China but I have not heard David Koch demanding an AFL women's team or turning up the blow torch.
Yep.

1551768362636.png

Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove and Lady Cosgrove joins in the conversation with Port Adelaide Football club's women from the Aboriginal AFL Academy. Picture SARAH REED

How many times has a Governor General gone to a professional footy club - all codes - to celebrate their community programs??

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-03-05/governorgenerals-inspiration-for-the-waaa
PORT ADELAIDE’s industry leading Women’s Aboriginal AFL Academy has received high praise during a visit to Alberton by the Governor-General on Tuesday. So inspired by the one-of-a-kind program was His Excellency General, the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove, that he and his wife, Lady Cosgrove made a special detour during a brief visit to Adelaide to Port Adelaide’s headquarters to enjoy an afternoon tea with members of the Academy (WAAA). The visit was an important event in the lead up to International Women’s day on Friday. After a powerful welcome to country performance by Indigenous dance group Yellaka, His Excellency took to the stage to address the Academy participants, and later mingled amongst them to meet as many as he could.

He told the year 11 and 12 students they were part of a special community at the Port Adelaide Football Club. “Women’s sport at the moment is showing the way in Australia, with all of the problems that beset the great winter codes, sometimes even cricket, we can look at the women’s expression of athletic excellence and the ethos of the game and say that there is much to be proud about,” he said. “You’re in a fortunate place where you can feed your minds and grow your confidence and your prospects for an unfettered future as well as giving it a red hot go in this great game.”....

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-03-05/governorgenerals-inspiration-for-the-waaa

C’mon Peter. Get the Queen to throw in some big bucks for the Alberton redevelopment :rolleyes:

The club should use what GG Cosgrove said

The Governor-General admitted his exposure to Port Adelaide and its football club was limited, although he seemed fairly well versed in the history of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

“You’ve just got to know a bit about AFL to know what a storied, famous and hugely respected club is Port,” he said to the packed room, which included program sponsors, club board members and staff.

“But what I did know is that Port Adelaide came to see its Australian rules football team as emblematic of the community. “This was not a place where rich people came to build castles. This was a place where hard work was done by Australians who were hard men and very tough women, who had to struggle to get on.

“That characterised so much of Port Adelaide’s existence.

“That was reflected through its footy team, and the classic battles over time between Port and Norwood, and more recently between Port and the Crows is emblematic of a community which takes enormous pride in its people out there in its jersey, playing for the community.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The G-G's office missed a great opportunity to get a whole bunch of friends by not naming the Facebook page GaGA. ;)

Gaga means schizophrenic or senile in colloquial Portuguese.

It has a similar slang meaning in English. More broadly mental. Young people these days probably say cray cray. ;)

Now that Gav W is playing for Moonta and with his historical family connection with the area, he can recruit some more indigenous ladies to play for Port. There is some serious talent within the YP who compete interstate in indigenous comps.

A couple of years ago I sent a heap of pics and articles re their talents but didn't hear back, so I hope Gav may have better luck.

PS. Moonta got hammered last Saturday with Gav playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back