Prediction PAFC Punters' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats on all those who got those odds last week. I hope it paid for those memberships for next season.

Or you could re invest some of those winnings on us winning the 2016 flag. Sportsbet current odds are $14.

Just realised I made this bet a while back. Terrible odds for all outcomes but still nice.. go Hawks!View attachment 180105
I doubt if there would have been many people who had 3 wins and had bet on the Hawks who would have taken the cash out option. Might have got a few nervous nellies cashing out in the third quarter when they got back to 25 points and looked the better team for 10 minutes. Although I can see why thinking "a bird in the hand" could make losing about $40 on your bet seem a more attractive prospect than potentially losing the whole thing.

Just had a look at some of the 2016 odds. The only ones I can find so far are flag, Brownlow and Coleman. We are 10.00 for the flag; Gray is 26.00 and Boak 34.00 for the Brownlow; Dixon is 26.00, Wingard 34.00 and Schulz 41.00 for the Coleman.

Hmm, not really a bet. More like I'm giving them a loan with 400% interest p.a.

Kyqzh05.png

from the TAB

Port odds - 2016 - (from around new years)

Power premiership - $7.50
to make the grand final - $3.75
minor premiership - $6.50
top 4 - $2.25
top 8 - $1.40

round 1 -

Power $1.22
Saints $4.25

Brownlow - Top Power players - (Win / Place)

Boaky $34.00 / $9.20
R. Gray $34.00 / $9.20
Wines $81.00 / $21.00
Hammer $101.00 / 26.00
Wingard $101.00 / 26.00
Ebo $126.00 /32.00
S. Gray $126.00 / 32.00
Dixon $ 251.00 / 61.00
Lobbe $ 251.00 / 61.00
Polec $ 251.00 / 61.00
Ryder $ 251.00 / 61.00
Toumpas $ 251.00 / 61.00
Trengove $ 251.00 / 61.00
Hoff $ 251.00 / 61.00

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from the TAB

Port odds - 2016 - (from around new years)

Power premiership - $7.50
to make the grand final - $3.75
minor premiership - $6.50
top 4 - $2.25
top 8 - $1.40

round 1 -

Power $1.22
Saints $4.25

Brownlow - Top Power players - (Win / Place)

Boaky $34.00 / $9.20
R. Gray $34.00 / $9.20
Wines $81.00 / $21.00
Hammer $101.00 / 26.00
Wingard $101.00 / 26.00
Ebo $126.00 /32.00
S. Gray $126.00 / 32.00
Dixon $ 251.00 / 61.00
Lobbe $ 251.00 / 61.00
Polec $ 251.00 / 61.00
Ryder $ 251.00 / 61.00
Toumpas $ 251.00 / 61.00
Trengove $ 251.00 / 61.00
Hoff $ 251.00 / 61.00

I can't see any of our midfield winning a brownlow. the guys will share too many votes between them.

Just realised I made this bet a while back. Terrible odds for all outcomes but still nice.. go Hawks!View attachment 180105
I should have asked this 3 months ago but did you let this ride? I can't remember the odds for the GF on the day but if they were offering $300 cash out you could have taken that and still backed the hawks for a profit (albeit smaller but a win is a win), or alternatively, let it ride and back the Weagles and the draw so you'd at least get your $50 back.

As a worker in the O&G industry, the drop in oil price has given me a stark reminder of the lack of security in my profession. About a year ago i started investigating the stock market as an alternate source of income. It didn’t take me long to realise I was out of my depth. In a moment of exasperation I muttered to myself “I’d be better off betting on footy”. I bumbled along for a while but eventually gave up as I could see it was only going to result in me losing money, see: https://xkcd.com/1570/

Not long after that I stumbled upon a couple of professional gambling blogs. I read a couple of articles and they got me thinking about whether sportsbetting was a viable alternative. I already spend too much time reading about footy, maybe I can turn that into a little bit of profit?

I don’t have the bank size to be following tipsters, so I needed to follow my strengths, at least to begin with.

Over the last few years I’ve averaged about 6.3-5 tips per round, which has been enough to see me challenge the top 10-15 at my work’s footy tipping comp (out of around 6-700). The lowest I have tipped in a round is 4 (once). The highest is 9 (3 times). The most common is 6, then 7, then 5, then 8.

If I bet on every game, I need to average 1.42 winning odds to break even. Having back checked my results, I feel this is achievable. If I bet on every game, I risk my entire bank. My worst ever week would have cost me 40% of my bank. My most common week (6) is a slight loss. My best ever weeks would have just about doubled my bank (x1.85 on average). I have more good weeks than bad. This seems plausible?

So how much am I willing to gamble? I’m going to start with $10 a game – so $90 in total – and see where it gets me.

My strategy:
  • Every dollar and tip will be tracked.
  • $10 a game from round 1, 2016
  • Bet on every game
  • All winnings are reinvested for the following round
  • Take advantage of sign-up bonuses to quickly build my bank and mitigate risk – there are 20 or so bookies in Aus, one for each round
    wlEmoticon-smile%5B1%5D.png
  • Bet on who i think will win
My Goals:
  • $90 in round 1 becomes $5000 by round 23 (expecting sign-up bonuses to play a big part here)
  • Year 1 is about building a database and a bank and refining my predictive technique
  • $5000 becomes $18000 by round 23, 2017
  • Year 2 is about putting lessons learned from year 1 into practice and building the bank further
  • From $18,000 ($2000 per game), any profit becomes, well, profit. 5% average weekly return will bring in $900 a week.
  • Year 3 and onwards are about continuous refinement and profit. By round 23 2018 I hope to have a new car in the garage.
I’ll be tracking everything I do and refining my predictions to get that tips per week average up towards 7 (hopefully above!). I’ll also be tracking my tips against potentially more profitable tipping strategies based on likelihood versus market odds, ie value hunting.

I’ll report progress in this thread. If there is enough interest I’ll start a new thread to track the progress. What I won’t report is who I tipped, as I fell that can only lead to bad things. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I’d love to hear them. This is all a massive experiment that in the end can only cost me $90. I’m sure the learning curve will be massive, but I’m looking forward to giving it a red hot crack!

As a worker in the O&G industry, the drop in oil price has given me a stark reminder of the lack of security in my profession. About a year ago i started investigating the stock market as an alternate source of income. It didn’t take me long to realise I was out of my depth. In a moment of exasperation I muttered to myself “I’d be better off betting on footy”. I bumbled along for a while but eventually gave up as I could see it was only going to result in me losing money, see: https://xkcd.com/1570/

Not long after that I stumbled upon a couple of professional gambling blogs. I read a couple of articles and they got me thinking about whether sportsbetting was a viable alternative. I already spend too much time reading about footy, maybe I can turn that into a little bit of profit?

I don’t have the bank size to be following tipsters, so I needed to follow my strengths, at least to begin with.

Over the last few years I’ve averaged about 6.3-5 tips per round, which has been enough to see me challenge the top 10-15 at my work’s footy tipping comp (out of around 6-700). The lowest I have tipped in a round is 4 (once). The highest is 9 (3 times). The most common is 6, then 7, then 5, then 8.

If I bet on every game, I need to average 1.42 winning odds to break even. Having back checked my results, I feel this is achievable. If I bet on every game, I risk my entire bank. My worst ever week would have cost me 40% of my bank. My most common week (6) is a slight loss. My best ever weeks would have just about doubled my bank (x1.85 on average). I have more good weeks than bad. This seems plausible?

So how much am I willing to gamble? I’m going to start with $10 a game – so $90 in total – and see where it gets me.

My strategy:
  • Bet on every game
  • Take advantage of sign-up bonuses to quickly build my bank and mitigate risk – there are 20 or so bookies in Aus, one for each round
My Goals:
  • $90 in round 1 becomes $5000 by round 23 (expecting sign-up bonuses to play a big part here)
  • Year 1 is about building a database and a bank and refining my predictive technique
  • Year 2 is about putting lessons learned from year 1 into practice and building the bank further
  • From $18,000 ($2000 per game), any profit becomes, well, profit. 5% average weekly return will bring in $900 a week.
  • Year 3 and onwards are about continuous refinement and profit. By round 23 2018 I hope to have a new car in the garage.
I’ll be tracking everything I do and refining my predictions to get that tips per week average up towards 7 (hopefully above!). I’ll also be tracking my tips against potentially more profitable tipping strategies based on likelihood versus market odds, ie value hunting.

I’ll report progress in this thread. If there is enough interest I’ll start a new thread to track the progress. What I won’t report is who I tipped, as I fell that can only lead to bad things. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I’d love to hear them. This is all a massive experiment that in the end can only cost me $90. I’m sure the learning curve will be massive, but I’m looking forward to giving it a red hot crack!
Good luck.

earning money in punting takes a lot of dedication and most commonly a pretty strong understanding of maths. Selectivity and self-control are majors stumblings blocks for most people. Long term winners are in the fraction of a percentage of the population. It's best not to put forecast values on it rather try and improve each month and I can garantee it will be rocky early. I'll admit my knowledge of sports betting compared to racing is minimal and I rarely bet on AFL but try to be selective. From afar I would suggest it would be extremely hard to have a positive ROI betting 9 head to head games a week.

I should have asked this 3 months ago but did you let this ride? I can't remember the odds for the GF on the day but if they were offering $300 cash out you could have taken that and still backed the hawks for a profit (albeit smaller but a win is a win), or alternatively, let it ride and back the Weagles and the draw so you'd at least get your $50 back.
Yeah let it ride; the return wasn't ridiculous enough to hedge on. It was more amusing that the bet was so boring (and the odds average) yet it came through..

My strategy:
  • Bet on every game
My Goals:

I wish you luck but why not gamble the easy way if you want to win? Become the house

After their guaranteed profit and state revenue collection, you are already starting a long way back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back