Toast PAFC & the ANZAC Spirit – ANZAC Day Centenary Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

THE CLUB FOR TRUE AUSTRALIANS

Last week I overheard a very senior person in Veterans SA say something rather significant. Three football clubs playing two different codes had been approached by his organisation in search of assistance with war veterans projects. Adelaide United, I overheard, had turned up their noses. The Crows had done ditto with their red, yellow and blue beaks. Port Adelaide Football Club, however, leapt on board and overwhelmed Veterans SA with an enthusiasm to be involved and to support their projects.

It was akin metaphorically to war having just been declared, and an instant line forming up outside the recruiting office – all wearing black, white and teal or Prison Bars.

No other colours in sight. They had all disappeared over the horizon of indifference.

So impressed was this Veterans SA executive, that he promptly switched his allegiance from the Crows to the Power, gave up his membership with the former and bought one in the latter. “Port Adelaide,” I distinctly heard him say, “are the only true Australians.”

A YEAR AGO…

A year ago Ford Fairlane helped me start the Peter Chant thread; full title: ‘Remembering fallen mates – Peter Chant.’ This new thread is its continuation, in broader context.

A year ago I met RussellEbertHandball during Round 5 vs West Coast. He wanted to encourage the Club to do more than it had already done up to that day for Peter’s recognition – and not just Pete, also every other serviceman who wore the Port jumper in whatever grade of football. REH’s enthusiasm overwhelmed me as much as the Club more recently has the aforementioned Veterans SA executive, who is no orphan when it comes to SA ex-servicemen switching on to PAFC this season.

Others who served with Peter Chant in Vietnam have done the same. One of Pete’s mates is an absolute tiger when it comes to war veterans’ causes (for which personal service he has been awarded an OAM). I’ll call him Mick, and that’s as far as he’d wish it to go. He it was who caught sight of Bob Quinn’s medals on a glass shelf at the Port Club… a year ago.

As a result, we now have – with the Club’s complete support from KT all the way through the ranks – an ANZAC project that is up and running: progressive enough, sizeable enough, and patriotic enough for me to tell you about.

This post is only a prologue. REH and fireboy and FF can, as they see fit, add to the story we have to tell. It is a story that has as much future as past – long and historic though that past may be. It’s a story that will develop as we close in on ANZAC Day and ANZAC Round 2014… then as we move on to 2015 and the Anniversary ANZAC Round at Adelaide Oval.

I WAS ONLY NINETEEN

The Peter Chant recognition project, which began so innocently a year ago, has this year blossomed into a presentation of service and campaign medals to the Club by the families of Peter Chant, Bob Quinn and his younger brother George Quinn who was killed in action at El Alamein in 1942 after playing for the Magpies in 1940. The medals have been obtained, fully refurbished where needed, and mounted in specially-created display cases by the 9RAR Association at their / PAFC’s expense. The sets of medals include Bob Quinn’s two Magarey Medals from 1938 and 1945, as well as the Military Medal he was awarded in 1941 for his act of mind-boggling bravery at Tobruk.

Two Fridays ago a lunch was convened at the Port Club, to which Daniel Norton brought along Channel Seven. In attendance were a past 1960s Magpies player who served in Vietnam, the brother-in-law of another who played juniors for Port and lost his life at the Battle of Coral in 1968, plus those from BigFooty and 9RAR Association who are involved in this phase of our ANZAC project.

John Schumann was there, too, as an honorary 9RAR Association member. His children’s book, I Was Only Nineteen, illustrated by Craig Smith according to the theme and chronology of John’s song of the same name, has just been released by Allen & Unwin :-

I’ll invite REH to tell a little more about that lunch, plus what’s still to come on this project.

Greg Quinn arrived later, and saw his father’s medals, military and Magarey, and his Uncle George’s, all pristine again, in their display case. This happened in Matthew Richardson’s office. Matt later described it as ‘one of the highlights of my time at the club… just brilliant.’

COLD WAR, FOOTY-STYLE

Janus has opened a thread titled ‘One Club. One Heart’ with a brilliant post that contains this paragraph, in which he relates part of KT’s speech at the recent Club 1870 function:

…Adelaide complained to the AFL about how Port Adelaide, who had successfully honoured and cherished the memory of all the soldiers who fought in battle for this country for 10 years, was continually 'gifted' an ANZAC round match. Port Adelaide says "It's not about the game. It's about the Port Adelaide supporters, players and support staff who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.”

Hear this: PAFC is bloody determined to be playing not one match but two at Adelaide Oval during the Anniversary ANZAC Round of 2015 – an AFL match against an opponent to be decided, and the SANFL Grand Final replay. Buddha Hocking has his orders.

S. Rowe alias Stupid sounded like surrender the other day when he seemed to admit: “Port Adelaide have a mandate on ANZAC Round.” Don’t believe him. Our Club and the Crows are engaged in a continuous Cold War, in which ANZAC Round 2015 is a pivotal battle.

On-field, off-field, whatever… football is war – war without weapons. Vigilance is required. To the Victors go the spoils. And the Losers? They get what they deserve, too.

I'm not an ANZAC but did my time in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq, I hope we don't turn this into a s**t fight with the Crows and maintain the moral high ground, even if it means we don't get the game. We need to maintain the integrity of what we are doing and not just try to get one up on the Crows.

Fantastic read and a fantastic project, LR. I can sort of understand why Adelaide United had declined giving assistance to the Veteran's - they are barely keeping afloat as it is. But why Adelaide would thumb their noses at such a worthwhile cause and then in the same breath stick out their hand and ask for a match to celebrate Anzac round beggars belief. Like, the temerity of these people is disgraceful and shocking.

All the AFC is concerned about is their members and the appearance of looking to be doing something honorable in front of an audience. They are a morally corrupt and moribund organization. It's not about the club maintaining the moral high ground. It's about allowing a franchise to disgrace the memory of the ANZACS in the pursuit of money and recognition for themselves instead of saying "Hey, we weren't even around during WW2. We didn't exist when Vietnam was fought...or through WW1 for that matter. Let a club with storied history, whose sons fought and died under the Australian flag and who played for and supported that club honour their memory."

Do you fight the fights you can win, or do you fight the fights that need fighting?

As the late John Wood used to say Lockhart Road , the winners can laugh the losers can please themselves.

You and your fellow serviceman, ably supported by RussellEbertHandball and his brother-in-law have worked assiduously on this project and deserve the best of outcomes for the club, for your fellow serviceman and for the community of servicemen that this project has set out to honour. This is more than football, this is community.

Let the winners have the last laugh.

I'm not an ANZAC but did my time in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq, I hope we don't turn this into a s**t fight with the Crows and maintain the moral high ground, even if it means we don't get the game. We need to maintain the integrity of what we are doing and not just try to get one up on the Crows.

If you had heard Keith speak the other night you would not have this concern. Port Adelaide is only interested in doing what is best for Port Adelaide and the community it represents. What the crows do is no concern to us other than when it disrespects our club.

Have to say as the son of a WWII Army veteran and an ex-serviceman myself that it awesome to see the club get so involved in projects like this.

I don't want to belittle the other teams for not getting involved but it is sad that they have missed an opportunity to actually show their supporters and members that they care about the wider community.

Fantastic read.

I only hope the thoughts of the Veterans SA make their way to AFL house independently of the club, and that the AFL also are made aware of the good things being done.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I completely agree, mate.
We don't however, as Ford says, need to worry about any 's**t fight' with the Crows if one should even develop. Their win ratio in such things is not too good lately, I'd reckon.
It's indeed the Club's policy to 'maintain the integrity of what we are doing' and aim to win by deeds off the field as well as on, not words. The rest will take care of itself.
My main point is that we should be seen to wholly honour the ANZAC spirit this year, as this will logically help influence ANZAC Round fixturing for next year.
And getting one up on the Crows in this particular project at this particular point in time has already happened, thanks to them. For example, they saw fit to put not even a poppy on their website on Remembrance Day 2013, whereas our Club posted an article and updated Roll of Honour.

I'm assuming some of the Port boys visiting the Repat Hospital has something to do with this? The Repat was built during WW2 to cater for returned soldiers for those unaware. Great to see the PAFC supporting Veterans SA!

I asked KT about this at the Club 1870 event and he said it is something the club does annually. This year it was publicised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm doing the construction of the new building at the Repat Hospital. Wish I had known!
New Rehab building? Man, its like a Repat reunion in here. Thread hijacked!

All the AFC is concerned about is their members and the appearance of looking to be doing something honorable in front of an audience. They are a morally corrupt and moribund organization. It's not about the club maintaining the moral high ground. It's about allowing a franchise to disgrace the memory of the ANZACS in the pursuit of money and recognition for themselves instead of saying "Hey, we weren't even around during WW2. We didn't exist when Vietnam was fought...or through WW1 for that matter. Let a club with storied history, whose sons fought and died under the Australian flag and who played for and supported that club honour their memory."

Do you fight the fights you can win, or do you fight the fights that need fighting?

Point 1, true but false, they don't care about their members! They don't get a vote and most want the Twigg gone. They only care for the boys in the boys club.

Point 2, we fight the fight we need to fight.

Fantastic work by those involved, especially you Lockhart Road . It seems through yours, REH and FF lobbying and collaboration with the PAFC you will achieve your goals with the Peter Chant project. A great example of what makes Port Adelaide great. Supporters engaging the club and the club forever engaging the community.

I think a lobbying campaign of AFL house may be in order by you gentlemen once you have completed the objectives of the Peter Chant project. I can't wait to attend the ANZAC day round game at AO.

I agree completely, but everything I've seen come out of the club about this and other things the Cows have bleated about makes me incredibly confident we won't stoop to their level.

How could you not feel pride in this club for supporting such a diverse range of worthy causes, and with such relatively little fanfare at that. to be honest I'm shocked that AFC would close their doors to a group of people who arguably contributed more than anyone to allowing us to play a few games of footy on the weekends, but that's not our concern. Love how even now being the darlings of the AFL scene we're still not forgetting our roots and community, just as PAFC was supported by the core community when it was at its weakest.. but I wouldn't expect anything less of this club.
Fantastic read and a fantastic project, LR. I can sort of understand why Adelaide United had declined giving assistance to the Veteran's - they are barely keeping afloat as it is. But why Adelaide would thumb their noses at such a worthwhile cause and then in the same breath stick out their hand and ask for a match to celebrate Anzac round beggars belief. Like, the temerity of these people is disgraceful and shocking.

All the AFC is concerned about is their members and the appearance of looking to be doing something honorable in front of an audience. They are a morally corrupt and moribund organization.
It's not about the club maintaining the moral high ground. It's about allowing a franchise to disgrace the memory of the ANZACS in the pursuit of money and recognition for themselves instead of saying "Hey, we weren't even around during WW2. We didn't exist when Vietnam was fought...or through WW1 for that matter. Let a club with storied history, whose sons fought and died under the Australian flag and who played for and supported that club honour their memory."

Janus you're rivaling Tribey these days for how goddamn squarely you're hitting the nail on the head- and eloquently at that. Perfectly put.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back