Toast PAFC & the ANZAC Spirit – ANZAC Day Centenary Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please post loads of video and photos of this weekend's Anzac Day pre game event? Alberton Proud and I are taking our little man camping for his 10th birthday, looking forward to it but really sad we'll miss the game.

My apologies if this is not the appropriate thread to add this to, mods please feel free to move if not.

I met with a client this afternoon and (as is common at this time of the year) a discussion re AFL ensued. Turns out he's a Crows man, but not without an interesting family history (including players from both Port and Sturt in the bloodlines).

Anyway, he said that in help his grandparents move recently he came across a framed picture of the players and staff from the 1912 Magpies (individual portraits, the captain in the centre - he said that the captain and one of the players were ancestors of his). Realising that many would have served, he said he then got the War Memorial to restore the picture and frame, and set about researching the service history, which he has done for those to whom he is related. Sadly, they paid the ultimate sacrifice in the war to follow, and it must be very poignant to look at such a display of young men without being taken by the tragedy of it all.

He'd love to share what he has with the Club and provide copies of the pictures and the like if that's something we'd be interested in. Naturally I said we treasured our history and I was sure we'd have someone whose role included adding to the Club's records in such a way. Could someone here please be kind enough to let me know who at the Club I should put him in touch with? Thank you

My apologies if this is not the appropriate thread to add this to, mods please feel free to move if not.

I met with a client this afternoon and (as is common at this time of the year) a discussion re AFL ensued. Turns out he's a Crows man, but not without an interesting family history (including players from both Port and Sturt in the bloodlines).

Anyway, he said that in help his grandparents move recently he came across a framed picture of the players and staff from the 1912 Magpies (individual portraits, the captain in the centre - he said that the captain and one of the players were ancestors of his). Realising that many would have served, he said he then got the War Memorial to restore the picture and frame, and set about researching the service history, which he has done for those to whom he is related. Sadly, they paid the ultimate sacrifice in the war to follow, and it must be very poignant to look at such a display of young men without being taken by the tragedy of it all.

He'd love to share what he has with the Club and provide copies of the pictures and the like if that's something we'd be interested in. Naturally I said we treasured our history and I was sure we'd have someone whose role included adding to the Club's records in such a way. Could someone here please be kind enough to let me know who at the Club I should put him in touch with? Thank you

Matthew Agius is your man. A top young fella who manages all such information and from personal experience is most appreciative of any and all assistance.

As Rexie J has said (and he has personal experience in this) young Matt Agius is acting as the Club Historian and archivist and would love to hear about this.

Many thanks indeed for coming forward with it.

I suggest to send an email to the Club for the attention of Matthew Agius, give him brief subject matter and your contact details and he'll be in touch with you as soon as he can.

If you experience any delay, send me or Rexie a PM and we'll take care of the rest.

CP, good to see you posting on here. Dont think I have seen you post for awhile. You might want to pass on this link to your client, as this has the names over 120 Port players who have played A grade for the club and served in various wars. Your client's relatives may be on that list or may have been left off it. Over time players who played in the B grade and juniors will be added. This is Matt Agius' list as per 23rd April.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/club/history/our-servicemen

CP, good to see you posting on here. Dont think I have seen you post for awhile. You might want to pass on this link to your client, as this has the names over 120 Port players who have played A grade for the club and served in various wars. Your client's relatives may be on that list or may have been left off it. Over time players who played in the B grade and juniors will be added. This is Matt Agius' list as per 23rd April.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/club/history/our-servicemen

Cheers REH, I am often sorely tempted to contribute to game day threads, but common sense prevails ;). In reality there is such a strong body of knowledge here that it's difficult to find anything to say that hasn't already been said much better. As a remote fan I really appreciate the contributions many make here and the insight it gives us into the Club.

They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them...

Lest we forget.

A lot of soldiers paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy going to the game tonight. As the lead in match for ANZAC round, let's show both on the field and in the stands that we honour that sacrifice with the respect it deserves.

I feel the build up to ANZAC Round by the AFL this year has been virtually non-existent or very low key.
Having said that though, here's something from the club site.
It would have been good if the club put up a little bit of information/history as the campaign by the ANZACS in Greece during WW2 isn't very well known, so people might be a little confused why there's suddenly going to be a couple of blokes in skirts from another country taking part in ANZAC ceremonies at the game. Although I wouldn't mess with them, skirts or no skirts, these guys stand their ground even during a bitterly could winter covered in snow and ice with the temperature below 0.
They are here for the game tonight before heading to Sydney for ANZAC day and the 76th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-04-21/evzones-to-parade-at-oval

Greek presidential guard to parade in Anzac Round pre-match at Adelaide Oval
Matthew Agius April 21, 2017 9:56 AM

GREECE'S presidential guard will attend Friday night's Port Adelaide-Carlton game as part of their first visit to South Australia.

The Evzones are the elite ceremonial guards of the Greek Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

They will join Port and Carlton players and representatives of the Australian Defence Forces on field for the traditional pre-match ceremony as part of Friday night's opening Anzac Round game.

05PAGe16MT00295.jpg

[youtube][/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back