Painting miniatures, terrain and scenery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers | 49ers | SMC Gaels
I recently picked up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set; one for me and one for a mate's birthday (he's just started in the hobby). It wasn't so much that I needed the paints. Primarily it was because of the Minsc & Boo (from Baldur's Gate) mini that comes with it. :)

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I recently picked up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set; one for me and one for a mate's birthday (he's just started in the hobby). It wasn't so much that I needed the paints. Primarily it was because of the Minsc & Boo (from Baldur's Gate) mini that comes with it. :)

My son has bought me some D&D minis for Christmas and I reckon I'd like to have a shot at painting them. I was thinking of picking up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set. I haven't painted any minis in about 20 years so go no real idea on how to go about it. For a relative newbie like me, would this be the go?

Sterge

Jun 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avs/Pats/Chelsea
My son has bought me some D&D minis for Christmas and I reckon I'd like to have a shot at painting them. I was thinking of picking up the D&D Adventurers Paint Set. I haven't painted any minis in about 20 years so go no real idea on how to go about it. For a relative newbie like me, would this be the go?
The difference to 20 years ago is there are now a million tutorials on YouTube.
But any starter painting set should be good that set looks like it has a decent range of colors as well.

baz_machine

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
The basics are...

- Use a wet palette. A zillion YouTube's on how to do it, super easy.

- always go towards having a little too much water, then not enough, when mixing with paint. Don't paint straight from the bottle

- base coat the whole thing, either with spray, or paint, black / white or grey. Total personal preference but if you have a starter set paint some grey on.

- wait to dry

- then nice smooth brushes with whatever colours you want. Just try and stay in the lines

- if you want to wash, then I suggest agrax earthshade (brownish) or nuln oil (blackish) from GW

- after that, it's more how much time you want to spend highlighting. At a minimum id repaint the main colour without going into the recesses

The most important thing is don't try and be perfect!!! If you hate a paint job you can throw any mini in Dettol for a few days and scrub it and start again

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers | 49ers | SMC Gaels
I'm by no means an expert, but for someone starting out I feel like a wet palette isn't a necessity. Just be judicious with the amount of paint you put on a palette and give a little forethought to what colour scheme you'll be going for. Also, paints that come in dropper bottles are really handy. Very useful when mixing paints.

Sterge

Jun 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avs/Pats/Chelsea
The basics are...

- always go towards having a little too much water, then not enough, when mixing with paint. Don't paint straight from the bottle

- base coat the whole thing, either with spray, or paint, black / white or grey. Total personal preference but if you have a starter set paint some grey on.

- wait to dry

- then nice smooth brushes with whatever colours you want. Just try and stay in the lines

- if you want to wash, then I suggest agrax earthshade (brownish) or nuln oil (blackish) from GW

- after that, it's more how much time you want to spend highlighting. At a minimum id repaint the main colour without going into the recesses

The most important thing is don't try and be perfect!!! If you hate a paint job you can throw any mini in Dettol for a few days and scrub it and start again
The gw motto

Two thin coats!

Top Bottom