Painting miniatures, terrain and scenery.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Make sure you show us your results
I will.

I should point out I've been a total cheat and have a pretty handy collection of the pre-painted D&D minis which I collected for the simple reason I thought they looked cool (and I'm a classic D&D player starting back from 1984). I do have a pretty good collection of the AD&D toys from the 1980s as well.

baz_machine

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm by no means an expert, but for someone starting out I feel like a wet palette isn't a necessity. Just be judicious with the amount of paint you put on a palette and give a little forethought to what colour scheme you'll be going for. Also, paints that come in dropper bottles are really handy. Very useful when mixing paints.
Very true but the one thing it helps is when the paints are smooth.... You'll do a terrible job and think it's you, when it's just the consistency of the paint.

Oh year, Pro tip, shake the living bejusus out of ANY paint before using. Including washes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chief

Admin
Dec 1, 1999
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you guys do any painting with inks? I just watched a video demonstrating painting a figure similar to one I have, but he used mainly Vallejo inks, then some other layer colours.

They seemed to do quite well on skin and cloth in particular.

baz_machine

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Inks / Washes , all the same thing just different dilution with water, no?

Personally, I just use the GW washes but that's only because they are the only ones I have tried.

Buy some Vallejo inks and give them a go. If you don't like them, you can always splash them on terrain.

Sterge

Jun 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avs/Pats/Chelsea
Inks / Washes , all the same thing just different dilution with water, no?

Personally, I just use the GW washes but that's only because they are the only ones I have tried.

Buy some Vallejo inks and give them a go. If you don't like them, you can always splash them on terrain.

Just have to be careful with some of the artists inks because they are oil based, not sure about vallejo though

Chief

Admin
Dec 1, 1999
AFL Club
Carlton
Just have to be careful with some of the artists inks because they are oil based, not sure about vallejo though
They're acrylic. I have a couple of acrylic inks and some matte acrylic medium to try out as a cheap bulk alternative to bought washes for terrain. First go seems to work OK just need to adjust the ratios.

baz_machine

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
If anyone is interested I can post a step by step.... I built way to much as they took forever to do (like around 10 hours total)
Happy with the end result thiugh

Top Bottom