Painting miniatures, terrain and scenery.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Make sure you show us your results

I will.

I should point out I've been a total cheat and have a pretty handy collection of the pre-painted D&D minis which I collected for the simple reason I thought they looked cool (and I'm a classic D&D player starting back from 1984). I do have a pretty good collection of the AD&D toys from the 1980s as well.

Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm by no means an expert, but for someone starting out I feel like a wet palette isn't a necessity. Just be judicious with the amount of paint you put on a palette and give a little forethought to what colour scheme you'll be going for. Also, paints that come in dropper bottles are really handy. Very useful when mixing paints.
Very true but the one thing it helps is when the paints are smooth.... You'll do a terrible job and think it's you, when it's just the consistency of the paint.

Oh year, Pro tip, shake the living bejusus out of ANY paint before using. Including washes

I'll be honest, it's taken me years, YEARS, to come around to it

I was always a three color minimum type.

Then finally started watching some warhammer tv videos and painting properly, it takes forever but the difference is night and day

More barricades and bits primed and under coated.

IMG_0221.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My goal for this year was to be confident enough to do diamonds.

With a few days to spare I've finished my first harlequin just need to detail the base once it's dry

20191229_141032.jpg

Trying out a rust tutorial, but probably didn’t put on a thick enough Typhus Corrosion base coat, stippling looks like stippling, sponging looks like sponging...

0e97a8a9006b877d421758f2a9d4988b.jpg

Do you guys do any painting with inks? I just watched a video demonstrating painting a figure similar to one I have, but he used mainly Vallejo inks, then some other layer colours.

They seemed to do quite well on skin and cloth in particular.

Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Inks / Washes , all the same thing just different dilution with water, no?

Personally, I just use the GW washes but that's only because they are the only ones I have tried.

Buy some Vallejo inks and give them a go. If you don't like them, you can always splash them on terrain.

Inks / Washes , all the same thing just different dilution with water, no?

Personally, I just use the GW washes but that's only because they are the only ones I have tried.

Buy some Vallejo inks and give them a go. If you don't like them, you can always splash them on terrain.

Just have to be careful with some of the artists inks because they are oil based, not sure about vallejo though

I wouldn’t call it an inspired colour scheme, but here’s my half-orc barbarian.

Pathfinder Deep Cuts mini.

249e9c288f4673a3efcffdb7c2ca1b90.jpg

27b270fd9b06cea38a8dc875e092c3fe.jpg

Snull Gulugak says “Die, puny dragon!”

(Still needs some tidying up though.)

Last edited:
Just have to be careful with some of the artists inks because they are oil based, not sure about vallejo though
They're acrylic. I have a couple of acrylic inks and some matte acrylic medium to try out as a cheap bulk alternative to bought washes for terrain. First go seems to work OK just need to adjust the ratios.

Back