Painting miniatures, terrain and scenery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of plastic crack 'finished' my apothecary on Friday

View attachment 954808

I say 'finished' because i lost the chest piece somewhere between priming and finishing:(

Update on this, last Friday after almost a year my wife found the missing piece under the TV cabinet... which for those playing at home is nowhere near any of my painting stuff.

finding the tiny little chest piece almost 12 months on is basically a hobby miracle

The boy got the terrain bug from Bill Making Stuff -

So now we have:

IMG_3456.jpg

He did the weathering on that walkway himself, even getting me to take him to get some soft pastels for him to crush up for weathering powders.

I cut out the base from 4mm MDF.

There are magnets under the walkway that attach to pins and wire on the main pieces. More weathered panels are being stuck together the make a magnetised wall that can attach in different places.

So proud. We might even play a game one day.

(Note Walking Dead figure I still haven't painted.)

Last edited:
Update on this, last Friday after almost a year my wife found the missing piece under the TV cabinet... which for those playing at home is nowhere near any of my painting stuff.

finding the tiny little chest piece almost 12 months on is basically a hobby miracle
I played Warhammer fantasy as a teenager, lost interest, gave some of my armies to my friends and stuffed some at my parents.
Anyway, 20 odd year later while getting back in the hobby I pick up the stuff from my parents, I have a bits box with a broken sword from the Teclis model, which I had given away.
Ask my friend about it and he says he gave it to an op shop years ago. He then finds out the army was stuffed in his parents shed (after a few moves) , gets the army back to me and now I was able to reunite the broken sword to the model.

Unfortunately it's sitting in my large tub of shame and I havent got to it yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only my 6th team, lol. Got dungeon bowl for Xmas so that's another two more to build and paint!

I have way too much s**t without buying more games I won't play.

And now all the new Eldar stuff, luckily I sold a heap of things lately

These are sweet, what did you use for the rust effects?
Put some liquid mask on it first, primed, then splash around some burnt umber with some baking powder mixed in, some orange for fresh rust, take off the masking rubber, then a coat of the burnt umber on the masked areas. Some Agrax and Nuln around the place. Pretty easy.

The sedan is just silver and orange so far. Some red on an armour plate.

The lad's set so far with new flamer truck:

0BF2CF5E-ADFE-4973-ABB3-C03B0B31CC5F.jpeg

I show people this and they are .. "OK?"

But it makes me laugh. The guy in the back of the flamer truck has armour.

"Oh it's a Ned Kelly helmet?"

No. He has an old paint tin on his head.

BE0FC669-96C4-453B-A4E3-90200DA6290A.jpeg

Note eye holes.

So I bought War of the Ring which is a huge game with 200 miniatures.
All the Shadow army are red but there are 3 distinct armies.
All the Free People armies are blue for regular and elites and white for leaders but there are 5 distinct armies.

I need a way to paint them to tell them apart and figure just the base for their army colour is quickest and easiest.

I need 8 different colours. What and where would my best options be?

I dont want to spend $100 or more on paints I wont use again. Im very lazy and the last painting I did was Tyranids in the 1990s.

So I bought War of the Ring which is a huge game with 200 miniatures.
All the Shadow army are red but there are 3 distinct armies.
All the Free People armies are blue for regular and elites and white for leaders but there are 5 distinct armies.

I need a way to paint them to tell them apart and figure just the base for their army colour is quickest and easiest.

I need 8 different colours. What and where would my best options be?

I dont want to spend $100 or more on paints I wont use again. Im very lazy and the last painting I did was Tyranids in the 1990s.

Coloured spray is your friend here, find the bulk colour and buy some coloured primer then just pick the details like leather metal etc which can be the same across everything if you just want quick and dirty, then add a dark wash to give some depth and job done.

Unfortunately no matter what you do it will set you back a bit in paints especially for that many models.

Coloured spray is your friend here, find the bulk colour and buy some coloured primer then just pick the details like leather metal etc which can be the same across everything if you just want quick and dirty, then add a dark wash to give some depth and job done.

Unfortunately no matter what you do it will set you back a bit in paints especially for that many models.

I was thinking acrylic paint pens just for the bases, and maybe a spray can for the base. Or even just the pens.

I was thinking acrylic paint pens just for the bases, and maybe a spray can for the base. Or even just the pens.

I've never used paint pens before unfortunately so i cant give you any advice there.

You will need to at least prime all the models first to give them an undercoat for any paint to stick to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back