Pakistan series Test Squad discussion.

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Forget all-rounders. None are currently Test standard.
Doss are you sure? I've heard this is the squad they'll be taking to the next test and on to Pakistan...

1. Warner (on the proviso he bowls his leggies)
  2. Stoinis
  3. Smith
  4. Head
  5. Henriques
  6. Marsh (Mitchell)
  7. Wade
  8. Agar
  9. Wildermuth
  10. Faulkner
  11. Starc (scrapes in due to the fact he made a 50 in the last test!)
  12. 12th man is Glenn Maxwell - the ultimate all-rounder

Doss are you sure? I've heard this is the squad they'll be taking to the next test and on to Pakistan...

1. Warner (on the proviso he bowls his leggies)
  2. Stoinis
  3. Smith
  4. Head
  5. Henriques
  6. Marsh (Mitchell)
  7. Wade
  8. Agar
  9. Wildermuth
  10. Faulkner
  11. Starc (scrapes in due to the fact he made a 50 in the last test!)
  12. 12th man is Glenn Maxwell - the ultimate all-rounder
If Smith doesn't start bowling his leggies again, he'll be in jeopardy soon enough too!

roscreasl98

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2016
Over The Hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Local Footy
Interesting reading, given how differently Mitch Marsh is rated by CA compared to the other two:

Career Shield batting average
Mitch Marsh - 24.91 (1 century, 10 fifties)
James Faulkner - 31.49 (1 century, 12 fifties)
Moises Henriques - 34.06 (5 centuries, 8 fifties)

Career Shield bowling figures
Mitch Marsh - 27.01 average, 48.55 strike rate, 3.34 economy rate
James Faulkner - 24.40 average, 49.64 strike rate, 2.95 economy rate
Moises Henriques - 33.22 average, 62.89 strike rate, 3.17 economy rate

We don't select Faulkner for the Test team because he's apparently "not good enough to bat at #6", and "isn't among the top 3/4 pace bowlers we have" (despite having one of the best FC bowling records of anyone in the country), yet we select a guy with significantly worse Shield record in Mitch Marsh who is only a year younger based on "potential"? Ok.
I'd be happy to give Faulkner a go on those figures. Seems a real competitor also. Did he have a drink/drive issue in UK last year? Maybe that's been taken against him also?

I'd be happy to give Faulkner a go on those figures. Seems a real competitor also. Did he have a drink/drive issue in UK last year? Maybe that's been taken against him also?

If he bats well for a full Shield season. Big IF though and that's his goal. After that, who knows

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I still think the only allrounder this team can afford is one who holds his spot in the top 6 purely as a batsman and then can give us some bonus overs without being relied upon as a frontline bowler

This team can't afford and for the most part really doesn't need a 5 bowler 5 batsman lineup not unless CA start going back to those 3/370 pitches that were killing our bowlers and softening up our batsmen, overseas we will be faced with pitches that give plenty to either the quicks or the spin bowlers so why do we need 4 quicks on those decks if it means we compromise the batting depth?

roscreasl98

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2016
Over The Hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Local Footy
I still think the only allrounder this team can afford is one who holds his spot in the top 6 purely as a batsman and then can give us some bonus overs without being relied upon as a frontline bowler

This team can't afford and for the most part really doesn't need a 5 bowler 5 batsman lineup not unless CA start going back to those 3/370 pitches that were killing our bowlers and softening up our batsmen, overseas we will be faced with pitches that give plenty to either the quicks or the spin bowlers so why do we need 4 quicks on those decks if it means we compromise the batting depth?
And isn't that Faulkner?

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
And isn't that Faulkner?

No not even close, he would like marsh be taking the spot of a batsman not because he is equal or better than the many other candidates with the bat but because he can also bowl and as i said that only makes sense on the dead pitches we have produced in previous years.

We need lots and lots of batting overseas where teams simply had to create bowler friendly pitches that would expose our 5 out all out lineup and we need plenty of batting here at home but only if we do the same as this last series and produce pitches that keep quality bowlers in the contest.

The ball is in CA's court they can eliminate the need for a 5th bowler who leaves us thin on batting and all they have to do is tell the curators no more highways.

roscreasl98

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2016
Over The Hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
All Local Footy
No not even close, he would like marsh be taking the spot of a batsman not because he is equal or better than the many other candidates with the bat but because he can also bowl and as i said that only makes sense on the dead pitches we have produced in previous years.

We need lots and lots of batting overseas where teams simply had to create bowler friendly pitches that would expose our 5 out all out lineup and we need plenty of batting here at home but only if we do the same as this last series and produce pitches that keep quality bowlers in the contest.

The ball is in CA's court they can eliminate the need for a 5th bowler who leaves us thin on batting and all they have to do is tell the curators no more highways.
I reckon he's worth a go. So far he is just another member of Australia's famous 1 test club. Think he made a 40 odd in that one. All rounders don't have to make 100's.

Just checked.

He's played 1 test, in England.
Took 6/98, and made 45 runs.
Batted at number 3 in the 2nd innings also.

Surely that was worth another few tests???

Pretty good One Test, beggars belief that he's not been really near the setup again

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm thinking part of why they brought back Wade is in hopes he can produce numbers worthy of a number 6. If that happens I could see them trying the next all-rounder at 7. Despite our poor results I still don't think they're willing to throw out the idea of an all-rounder in the side. It all comes back to their sports science stuff in ensuring work loads are managed etc. I don't agree with it but one series loss won't be enough for them to throw out their logic in the long run.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wow, whole last page about Faulkner's batting, after a post showing Faulkner is amongst the best Bowlers in the Shield (and a sub-20 test average to boot!)

My comment was that he would be picked as a front-line bowler behind Starc and Hazelwood and bat 8 to strengthen the batting. Maybe 7 if the keeper is particularly poor with the stick but not #6 - that would be as dumb as picking Marsh there.

Mennie - Faulkner
Bird - Faulkner
?? - Faulkner

We are losing very little, if anything with the ball (it's certainly a decision to be made), whereas there are none other than MM that come close to his batting ability. MM isn't a good enough bowler to play as 3rd seamer.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm thinking part of why they brought back Wade is in hopes he can produce numbers worthy of a number 6. If that happens I could see them trying the next all-rounder at 7. Despite our poor results I still don't think they're willing to throw out the idea of an all-rounder in the side. It all comes back to their sports science stuff in ensuring work loads are managed etc. I don't agree with it but one series loss won't be enough for them to throw out their logic in the long run.

That's my line of thinking exactly. A Mitch Marsh or Faulkner makes a lot more sense at 7 instead of 6.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Good god no Mitchell Marsh. He needs to learn the basics before he gets another go. At least he has age on his side. Neither are top 6, barely top 7 batters.

Faulkner; maybe if he does well in the next Shield game, but I think it's going to be hard for the to drop Bird. It'll be interesting though, since he scored a ton in the last match and can bat a bit, but is his bowling good enough for test cricket?

Either way, a few spots are up for grabs, and Maddison has to perform to retain his spot.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Haven't Pakistan moved Sarfraz up to six in recent times to accomdate Mohammad Rizwan (an all rounder) at 7?

DangerIsLove

Cancelled
Oct 23, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Locks

Starc
Hazlewood
Khawaja
Warner
Smith

Should Play

Handscomb
Bird (Like his Swing)

New Players

Stoinis
Patterson

Out

Renshaw (12 Man)
Maddinson

Spinners

Holland

So My Team

Warner, Khawaja, Stoinis, Smith, Habdscomb, Patterson, Wade, Starc, Hazlewood, Holland, Bird
Renshaw, Maxwell (12-13 Men)

Locks

Starc
Hazlewood
Khawaja
Warner
Smith

Should Play

Handscomb
Bird (Like his Swing)

New Players

Stoinis
Patterson

Out

Renshaw (12 Man)
Maddinson

Spinners

Holland

So My Team

Warner, Khawaja, Stoinis, Smith, Habdscomb, Patterson, Wade, Starc, Hazlewood, Holland, Bird
Renshaw, Maxwell (12-13 Men)
Haha love the parochial posting.

Back