Pakistan tour of England

Remove this Banner Ad

Beautiful ball to get Hales there.

I felt quite emotional seeing Amir taking the first over. I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Asif - in any more than bowling skill.

He looked awful. Quite depressing seeing what has happened to him.

I hope he hasnt fallen out with the coaching staff again. It seemed like he had been disciplined and sent off to Middlesex after being named in last months ODI teams , but then not selected. Maybe he showed dissent when he was not named in the starting lineup!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His weak excuse for using the banned substances was bought by the authorities and now he is looking dangerous..
Ajmal gave us a load of trouble with his baseball pitches on their last tour.

His weak excuse for using the banned substances was bought by the authorities and now he is looking dangerous..
Ajmal gave us a load of trouble with his baseball pitches on their last tour.

You can't have liked seeing Baistow do something dumb against him then.

Live by the sword, but man that ball was nowhere to be doing that.

You can't have liked seeing Baistow do something dumb against him then.

Live by the sword, but man that ball was nowhere to be doing that.

I didnt see the shot. I havent been able to see the action ,just follow the scorecard...
But I'll take your word that he played a bad shot.

Tried to cut a fairly full straight ball from Yasir that skidded onto middle and off.

Reckon it's just a seriously good pill, looked like a front of the hand kinda thing

Chris Woakes is a better batsman and bowler than Ben Stokes and will have a better career. Living over here the English media are really trying to sell Stokes as the new Botham yet he's quite erratic in both facets. He bowls at reasonable speed but is floaty so to speak and quite often easy pickings. His batting has been wildly inconsistent too. Yeah he can belt the ball but he also had that horrible run of scores resembling a telephone number. On his day he's devastating but he lets you down more often.

Woakes looks far more solid in his technique to be a reliable run scorer and to get important knocks and has improved his bowling so along with his stock back of the length delivery he now utilises the seaming full balls better, plus even when he's not taking wickets he has good accuracy. That was always his main strength considering when he initially broke through he wasn't that quick.

There's the difference in a impact cricketer who still relies on raw talent and a mature cricketer who has worked on his weaknesses and ironed out what he's already good at to be a consistent performer.

Fantastic article by Kimber on the return of Amir:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-pakistan-2016/content/story/1035223.html

Chris Woakes is a better batsman and bowler than Ben Stokes and will have a better career. Living over here the English media are really trying to sell Stokes as the new Botham yet he's quite erratic in both facets. He bowls at reasonable speed but is floaty so to speak and quite often easy pickings. His batting has been wildly inconsistent too. Yeah he can belt the ball but he also had that horrible run of scores resembling a telephone number. On his day he's devastating but he lets you down more often.

Woakes looks far more solid in his technique to be a reliable run scorer and to get important knocks and has improved his bowling so along with his stock back of the length delivery he now utilises the seaming full balls better, plus even when he's not taking wickets he has good accuracy. That was always his main strength considering when he initially broke through he wasn't that quick.

There's the difference in a impact cricketer who still relies on raw talent and a mature cricketer who has worked on his weaknesses and ironed out what he's already good at to be a consistent performer.

Look, I've been a massive supporter of Woakes in the light of some pretty ridiculous criticism on here, but I think you're doing Stokes a disservice. He hasn't been a flash in the pan, he's delivered a number of matchwinning / top class performances throughout a pretty substantial number of tests so far in his career and therefore deserves the adulation he's getting. Given the ageing and increased injury frequency of the brilliant Anderson, the inconsistency of Finn it's probably not going to be a case of one or the other going into the future if Woakes continues on like this.

Superb bowling by Yasir, the pacemen weren't overly impressive but interesting to see spin become such a crucial factor so early in the game. Guess it's the benefit of having a leg spinner who doesn't need a responsive pitch to be effective in comparison to an offie.

lol Poor Athers. Also lol Warney. No 5 wicket haul at Lords

Ishant has one, Praveen Kumar, Hossain from B'desh, RP Singh, Dion Nash. I think McGrath got one every singles Ashes he played there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back