Pakistan v Australia 5 ODIs

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick answer- he’s a lot better than Handscomb with the gloves. You don’t go in with a part time/fractionally more than that keeper in Handscomb. You are asking for trouble

Well - here's the thing. I checked some stats.

Most international keepers average just over 1 catch per ODI innings. Gilchrist is the best - he averages less than 1.5 catches per innings. Haddin, not far short of that. Now when you consider that most catches to the keeper are a gentle feather, the requirement for a brilliant keeper to dive across first slip is maybe not that necessary. Most keeper catches in a Test match come from defensive shots. ODIs - fewer defensive shots - fewer keeper catches.

Gilchrist averaged less than 1 stumping per 5 innings - Haddin 1 per 10. Obviously, sub-continent keepers do better, but even Dhoni was 1 per three matches.

As for byes - not much there. Byes are generally not significant in ODIs. (Although it did bring up the time Justin Langer kept for Australia:p).

So - balance your keeper requirement against your batting. But ODIs are a very different calculation to Tests. If we let Handscombe keep. the most significant change is Carey for another batsman. (And when you consider that the next batting option is probably Wade....................................).

Check stats here

Going to be interesting if both hazelwood and Starc comes into the XI to see if Cummins still gets the new ball or moves back to first change

Going to be interesting if both hazelwood and Starc comes into the XI to see if Cummins still gets the new ball or moves back to first change

Hazelwood will be struggling to be fit anyway. Starc comes in. Cummins gets the new ball.

Well - here's the thing. I checked some stats.

Most international keepers average just over 1 catch per ODI innings. Gilchrist is the best - he averages less than 1.5 catches per innings. Haddin, not far short of that. Now when you consider that most catches to the keeper are a gentle feather, the requirement for a brilliant keeper to dive across first slip is maybe not that necessary. Most keeper catches in a Test match come from defensive shots. ODIs - fewer defensive shots - fewer keeper catches.

Gilchrist averaged less than 1 stumping per 5 innings - Haddin 1 per 10. Obviously, sub-continent keepers do better, but even Dhoni was 1 per three matches.

As for byes - not much there. Byes are generally not significant in ODIs. (Although it did bring up the time Justin Langer kept for Australia:p).

So - balance your keeper requirement against your batting. But ODIs are a very different calculation to Tests. If we let Handscombe keep. the most significant change is Carey for another batsman. (And when you consider that the next batting option is probably Wade....................................).

Check stats here

That 1 catch might be Kholi and call me nuts but I don't want a part time keeper trying to catch that. Carey kept first class last night and made 25 with the bat, at 7, he did his job. I'd rather have a genuine keeper, period. I want that keeping chance taken. Carey is more likely to do that. I'm not saying Handscomb can't keep but he's not better than Carey.

well played boys....didn't see us bowl went to bed after our innings...so the highlights

Cummins again awesome...…..lets rest him now for the last 2 ODI no reason to play we have won the series

well done Maxwell fantastic innings....match winning innings

Finch continues his good form

Now to the big issue ….which is stoinis...

well played boys....didn't see us bowl went to bed after our innings...so the highlights

Cummins again awesome...…..lets rest him now for the last 2 ODI no reason to play we have won the series

well done Maxwell fantastic innings....match winning innings

Finch continues his good form

Now to the big issue ….which is stoinis...

Remind me how Stoinis somehow is a walkup start?

His bowling is trash and his batting....well it takes him 30 balls to do anything.

Is there anything MMarsh couldn’t do and he’s a better bowler and OFI batsman. Forget Marsh as a test batsman judge him off his 50 over form. It’s good.

Furthermore, we score higher when Stoinis gets out early so he doesn’t waste balls. That spells red flag for mine. How can’t you find the gaps? There’s only 4 men in the circle when you come in!

Maxwell does it, Handscomb does it...

It’s risk free and keeps the board ticking over

Remind me how Stoinis somehow is a walkup start?

His bowling is trash and his batting....well it takes him 30 balls to do anything.

Is there anything MMarsh couldn’t do and he’s a better bowler and OFI batsman. Forget Marsh as a test batsman judge him off his 50 over form. It’s good.

I agree Luke

My thoughts on stoinis are in the World Cup Thread

I agree Luke

My thoughts on stoinis are in the World Cup Thread

I’ve never understood his selection. Whilst I have a huge problem with Marsh near a test side as a ODI cricketer he’s very good.

Quick answer- he’s a lot better than Handscomb with the gloves. You don’t go in with a part time/fractionally more than that keeper in Handscomb. You are asking for trouble

Handscomb is a much better keeper than a year or two ago. His recent stumping and catches off spinners are quite impressive. My concern is if he could keep for 50 overs and the bat in the top order.

I like Carey but I am starting to worry about his keeping. Hopefully he is just going through a rough patch and will find form soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Handscomb is a much better keeper than a year or two ago. His recent stumping and catches off spinners are quite impressive. My concern is if he could keep for 50 overs and the bat in the top order.

I like Carey but I am starting to worry about his keeping. Hopefully he is just going through a rough patch and will find form soon.

He’d be batting at 5 and he probably batted higher than that during the one day series for Victoria

??? I reckon his keeping is fine ...what worries me is His powerhitting at the end of the innings

I would rest Cummins for these next two ODIS please.....there is no point him playing....too valuable

Play Dorff and Richardson.....keep giving lyon and Zampa a go

Do not move stoinis to three leave him at 5 …..its up to him in the next two games to do something otherwise he could be in trouble

Would love to see Maxwell at 3 this game regardless of the score.....lets give him enough time to play an innnigs

Would they give handscomb the gloves??? don't think so...but they might

Usman
Finch
Maxwell
marsh
Stoinis
Handscomb
Carey
lyon
Zamps
Kane
Dorff

Its a big tail

Cummins has been sent home

Makes sense, if Richardson is in doubt for the World Cup then the reserve stocks look slim as we saw when we resorted to Siddle not long ago.

Better off trying potential reserve bowlers in these last two games, also if we win the toss we should be bowling to get more experience chasing down a bigger total.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back