Pakistan v Australia 5 ODIs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I agree that only Warner should be added to the ODI team for the WC

Smiths performances in the three knockout games of the last WC will still carry a lot of weight, unlike in tests his stats aren't miles better than players like handscomb or marsh but he is a superior batsmen who is known for being our best in the tougher game situations, no selector would gamble and leave a player of his ablity out as they know a collapse in a knockout game would leave everybody asking why wasn't smith in the side?

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Smiths performances in the three knockout games of the last WC will still carry a lot of weight, unlike in tests his stats aren't miles better than players like handscomb or marsh but he is a superior batsmen who is known for being our best in the tougher game situations, no selector would gamble and leave a player of his ablity out as they know a collapse in a knockout game would leave everybody asking why wasn't smith in the side?
Name your top 7 then for the WC

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Name your top 7 then for the WC

I guess they will pick an allrounder and it will be stoinis at 6 but the top 5 I would go

Khawaja
Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell

Marsh would be in the running for one of those top three spots if they don't find early form and handscomb would be in line for Smith's spot if he struggles.

It's a pity we don't have one more batsman who can give us 4-5 overs if we did we could dump stoinis for handscomb or marsh who are better batsmen.

Considering him and Finch were a good opening partnership last WC I would be going the same way this time.
You're backing an opening partnership that did well over 4 years ago compared to one that's doing well now?
Again today he wasted so many balls after he got 80, spent 30 balls getting 18, was Stoinis like.

I want guys that can get big hundreds not blokes who I’m hoping aren’t still batting in the 42nd over as they can’t hit boundaries easily. Warner hits big hundreds.
You do realise it's an accomplishment to actually get to 80 first, yes? Khawaja has done that 5 times in his last 10 ODI innings at just under a run a ball. Warner has done it 3 times in his last 18. Compare their ODI form since the start of 2017 and this isn't even a debate. Warner has a SR of around 10 better, but Khawaja has an average of 26 better. I would rather a bloke that will score 10 less runs over 100 runs if he's almost doubling the average of his alternative. Statistically this shouldn't even be a question, but you think Warner should be in because he can score big 100s.

Just for a bit of fun, let's look at Warner's ODI record in England: 10 innings. Average of 31. No centuries. 2 half centuries. High score of 59. Strike rate of 81.

But he can score big centuries.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Series averages:

C0ABE5DB-EF55-4AB1-B51D-BAC0F6AFDB67.jpeg
F352B66A-BB3C-411F-9F13-9ABEFA8417BE.jpeg

Combined averages of the India and Pakistan series:

E18EEC5F-1065-4BFD-9094-09136B76C1FB.jpeg
A89DADB8-9042-4AC7-8AE6-8781C4FB2525.jpeg

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
Surely something has to be said about the culture of the team right now this is completely ticking and then you add Warner to this seems like playing with fire.

Got to laugh at people questioning Khawaja averaging 66 and striking @ 86. If he hasn’t in the top 2 picked I’ll be screwed.

The selectors have really got the team right at the moment / I’m loathe to see them * this up

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
That run of 21 wins is astounding. It’s easy to forget how dominant Australia was for 20 years from the mid 90’s.

Easy to forget just how boring cricket was in those days. No surprise the best thing that ever happened to cricket participation in Australia was actually them losing the 2005 Ashes series

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back