Food/Supplements Paleo Diet

Remove this Banner Ad

BS. You don't even know what you're epsousing. That much is clear.
Rubbish. This from someone quoting diet marketers with invalid, cherry-picked studies and absolute claims.

Now if you will excuse me it is time for my Himalayan salt bath.

Now if you will excuse me it is time for my Himalayan salt bath

you forgot to mention anti-vac. I can't imagine why I suspected you were a troll.

You're response to Bazzar above just shows how disenguous your line of argument has been here.

Chief: Paleo, LCHF, whatever is scientific woo show me scientific studies!

Bazzar: *Shows 10 recent studies* that are gradually over turning the previously held conventional wisdom

Chief: But there are way more studies supporting the previous conventional wisdom. I win!

Bazzar: *Shows 10 recent studies* that are gradually over turning the previously held conventional wisdom

Chief: Those studies are, some by their own admission, poorly controlled with too few subjects to be significant. At least one is just a pilot study.
EFA.

Here's the problem. Not all studies are equal. And pilot studies are just that. Pilot studies. They are used mainly to help refine the design of proper studies. The one listed there had 13 subjects. 3 men, 10 women. At least it is better than Andrew Wakefield's study: it only had 12 subjects.

"Paleo" has been around since the 1960's at least, and yet this is the best that is out there?

Sorry if I take my cues from HUNDREDS of other studies that back up the theory of the omnivorous, physically active human that hasn't been stuck in an evolution freeze for 50,000 years.

The paleo diet is a marketing gimmick with no valid scientific backing. Carrying on as an omnivore, reducing processed foods while increasing exercise and healthy mental stress-relief is the only proven way. Sorry if that doesn't push the obsessive fad-follower's buttons but it is what we know today.

If the science gets better and supports any of the claims then fine, you got me on those claims. That's how investigation of the physical world works.

A few stories from ordinary Aussies on Pete Evans Facebook who dont need a fancy PubMed study to understand and benefit from a Paleo way of eating. Over 1 million views and 2100 stories in two days the original post had.

https://www.facebook.com/paleochefpeteevans/posts/770426696384052:0
This is how I know you don't get it. This is not a study that analyses the effects on a representative population. 1 million views but only 2000 stories? I suppose we could say the 998,000 people who didn't leave a message got no benefit from the fad.

In fact, based on the Bazzar style of inquiry we'll say only 0.002 people per hundred got any benefit from a paleo diet.

A few stories from ordinary Aussies on Pete Evans Facebook who dont need a fancy PubMed study to understand and benefit from a Paleo way of eating. Over 1 million views and 2100 stories in two days the original post had.

https://www.facebook.com/paleochefpeteevans/posts/770426696384052:0
I posted a comment and got a reply from another person... but they were removed and now I cannot comment on that post.

So not only is it unrepresentative, they are removing comments that are not happy and positive. No doubt they have hired a community management firm who were told to brook no dissent and silence unbelievers and apostates.

:thumbsu: Noice!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Response to Media on Recent Mouse Study
March 11, 2016 The Paleo Diet Team

Two weeks ago, media outlets around the world published articles strongly questioning the Paleo Diet based on a single high-fat study on mice. We always enjoy seeing articles about the diet, whether it’s a testimonial, a new discovery, or even criticisms about the science because it’s only through scientific debate that we arrive at better answers. But we draw our line at unfounded claims and poor research. This week thepaleodiet.com contacted many of these media outlets asking for a correction to their unfounded claims. A sample of our letter (sent to Medical News Today) is published below:

I am writing to you about your article published two weeks ago titled “How safe is the Paleo Diet”. The article raises troubling concerns about the Paleo Diet based on a recent study on mice. Your publication maintains a reputation as a reliable source for scientific journalism and I am sure you would like that reputation to continue. So I bring to your attention serious concerns with Yvette Brazier’s article.

While the study identifies potential trends with an extremely high-fat diet, the diet consumed by the mice consisted of 400 g/kg cocoa butter, 200 g/kg casein, 106 g/kg sucrose, 100 g/kg canola oil, 100 g/kg clarified butter fat and 50 g/kg cellulose. The rest of the diet was primarily mineral supplements. Almost none of these foods are part of a Paleo Diet and most have been addressed specifically by Dr. Loren Cordain, Dr Boyd Eaton, and other founders of the diet, as foods that should not be consumed.

In other words, your author has used this study to make claims about the Paleo Diet when the mice did not in fact consume anything even closely resembling a Paleo Diet. The information about the breakdown of the diet fed to the mice was readily available on the Nutrition and Diabetes website as a free supplement (http://www.nature.com/nutd/journal/v6/n2/full/nutd20162a.html.) As a minimum standard for scientific journalistic integrity, your author should have looked over that supplement and confirmed that the study was in fact, not addressing a Paleo-style diet.

Further, it’s important to point out that even the trends the study shows regarding a very high fat diet may have limited value. The study’s author used a breed of mice that has already been demonstrated to respond differently to a high-fat diet than humans. This has led some in the scientific community to call for a retraction of the study (https://www.facebook.com/richard.feinman.7/posts/959579280793676).

To maintain your reputation for scientific journalism, we ask that you publish a correction to your article, recognizing that the study, in no way, examined the effects of a Paleo diet.

Sincerely,

Dr. Loren Cordain

Dr. Mark Smith

Trevor Connor

http://thepaleodiet.com/response-to-media-on-recent-mouse-study/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back