Papers stamped tonight, Jacobs, Douglas.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we go with ROB, fail to bring in a back up ruck and have to rely on Jacobs then that is an epic list management failure.

Like who?

Who would please your (pardon the pun) elite level requirements as a back up?

I don't think there really ever is a right time to retire. If a player ends his career when he's still playing decent footy, there will always be that feeling they might have gone too early. As weird as it sounds, I would rather know for sure that a player is completely cooked before they retire.

The problem I have re. Douglas isn't that he's gone a year too long, it's that he was in poor form prior to his injury (worse form than Gibbs btw) and found himself back into the team after one good game in the reserves. This kind of selection policy wreaks. Gibbs would provided us more, even though he's not at his best and Jones and McHenry need development.

Agree. Make the club kick you out as you are a long time retired.

Like who?

Who would please your (pardon the pun) elite level requirements as a back up?
Given I’m not a recruiter I’ll leave that up to the recruiters who watch all games at all levels and know who is available.

But every year back up rucks move clubs, we saw West Coast pick up Hickey for example. Jacobs is cooked now, what value would he have in a years time?

What's unfortunate is that Sam has shown arrogance in his comments regarding ROB.

ROB to Sam was warming his spot till his return, and the club was in a good position when he retired in a few years time.

In 2016 when ROB played against WCE he was struggling to run the game out and to get to stoppages. Fast forward 2019 the guys an endurance running king, and was showing very good form in the sanfl.

Sam should be feeling silly for the disrespect he has shown this young man. ROB can play, and is improving with every game.

Given I’m not a recruiter I’ll leave that up to the recruiters who watch all games at all levels and know who is available.

But every year back up rucks move clubs, we saw West Coast pick up Hickey for example. Jacobs is cooked now, what value would he have in a years time?

You make good points and I am not disagreeing with you, I just don’t think it is as easy to say a player (back up ruckman in this case) would be overly keen to move interstate to play SANFL.

Draft some 18 or 19 year old kid and let him develop under Jacobs in the SANFL for 12 months.

Jacobs was always contracted for this year, so it's not like we gave him a sympathy contract (i.e. Thommo).

Douglas though, and Otten are probably the ones we should have forced into retirement last year.

We'll give Douglas another chance unfortunately but it's kind of good in a way that we've got Richmond and Geelong.

Dougie won't be able to have a faux good game to extend his run. One more week, two tops then the club can move forward.

Our selectors won't be able to ignore what ROB did tonight. Coaches' votes will be interesting.

By the time Dougie’s name comes up at selection, finals will be around the corner and his experience and our continuity philosophy will keep him in.

What's unfortunate is that Sam has shown arrogance in his comments regarding ROB.

ROB to Sam was warming his spot till his return, and the club was in a good position when he retired in a few years time.

In 2016 when ROB played against WCE he was struggling to run the game out and to get to stoppages. Fast forward 2019 the guys an endurance running king, and was showing very good form in the sanfl.

Sam should be feeling silly for the disrespect he has shown this young man. ROB can play, and is improving with every game.
Sam, you're not coming into the side until it warrants it.

Yeah I heard Jacob's being interviewed last week on the crows show or some other show talking as though he was going to waltz back in for the rest of the season starting last nights game. So arrogant in his presumption and no mention of ROB. Gave me a good laugh that he has no idea he is done. The sense of entitlement at our club from these ageing dinosaurs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely now the club knows Dick Douglas is break glass in case of emergency this year.

SURELY one of McHenry/Jones/Stengle need to come in for him.... offered NOTHING up forward or in midfield.

Lets pump games into Jones or McHenry. PLEASE.

Surely now the club knows Dick Douglas is break glass in case of emergency this year.

SURELY one of McHenry/Jones/Stengle need to come in for him.... offered NOTHING up forward or in midfield.

Lets pump games into Jones or McHenry. PLEASE.
I would interchange Jones and McHenry to keep them fresh. 2 games for Jones then 2 games for Mchenry unless 1 tears it apart.

Eddie was done according to some on here.
As long as a player keeps performing regardless of age they generally keep their spot. Supporters have a problem with ageing players that don't perform but continue to get backed in. Jacob's was a very good example. Performance is the critical factor.

Have you seen Jacobs play on Gawn before? It isn't pretty.
Yes. O'Brien was significantly worse for 3 quarters. An active hindrance to the rest of the side.

It's irrelevant though. Based on the McGovern protocol established in 2016, O'Brien will be dropped this week.

ROB is a positive

Wouldn't have happened without the negative part (Jacobs kept in SANFL)

Same with Douglas. Someone new will come in and perform well.

Each negative is actually a positive for the club.
Then, lets focus on the positives - like how ROB did or CEY, or how well Wilson did in the twos. There’s frigging no need for the “Just go TEX” type of threads that we are seeing. It’s just so disrespectful. Both Dougy and Jacobs have been great servants of our club. They deserve better.

Then, lets focus on the positives - like how ROB did or CEY, or how well Wilson did in the twos. There’s frigging no need for the “Just go TEX” type of threads that we are seeing. It’s just so disrespectful. Both Dougy and Jacobs have been great servants of our club. They deserve better.

They aren't servants, they are paid employees. There is no altruism in their actions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back