Aussies Paralympic Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome nite for Aussie table tennis with LiNa Lei and Quin Lang taking gold. These two ladies along with male team mate Li Ma went looking for a better life after representing their native China and found our friendly nation. Kinda glad they did. In her post match interview LiNa said she was "proud" to represent her new country. That she "now had freedom" and that the Aussie team were "like a family".
Yeah was a great interview. Seemed to be really happy to be apart of the Aussie team

Is it just me or are the post race interviews better to listen to in the paralymics?
Yep. Their interviews are heaps better than during the Olympics. They're all such great people no egos and so genuinely happy to be there. Also the sportsmanship between the athletes (from every country) has been amazing 👏

More gold the 4x100m Freestyle Relay Mens.
...and a new Para world record. Brilliant first leg by Crothers set it up. The Italian swimmer came home like a runaway train.

Darren Hicks takes GOLD in the Road Time Trial. Yeeehah!!

Vision impaired runner Jaryd Clifford unable to overhaul the winner and runner up in the 1500m..wins bronze.

Last edited:
Yep. Their interviews are heaps better than during the Olympics. They're all such great people no egos and so genuinely happy to be there. Also the sportsmanship between the athletes (from every country) has been amazing 👏
Having said that I thought at the Olympics just gone thr athletes spoke better than previous Olympics.

I am also really enjoying the commentators.

Darren Boyd is doing a great job with the swimming. Dave Colbert knows just as much about the paralymics as he does the Olympics and Matt Hill is outstanding. Love him both for racing and sport.

You talking of Madison de Rosario in the wheelchair 800. I was actually referring to track runners.. so needed to make myself clearer..

Oh sorry yeah was talking about Maddison my mistake mate

Some inspiring stuff with the time time cyclists today. Canadian competitor on trike busting herself to bits on the final hill and corners with a guide cycling behind her shouting encouragement. Awesome to watch...........

Tough luck for Madi de Rozario - boxed in and out too late. Bronze, but reckon there's a gold there left on the shelf............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough luck for Madi de Rozario - boxed in and out too late. Bronze, but reckon there's a gold there left on the shelf............

maybe. Winner was the World Champion to be fair

So Ukraine protested 3 guys being a couple of mins late to sign up. One of them happened to be the guy who won and Ukraine happened to be 2nd and 3rd.

A bit scummy imo.

Yeah that was rubbish. The Malaysian bloke had already broken the WR, prior to the rain break.

Kind of takes away from all the good sportsmanship we’ve seen amongst athletes, thought there would have been a bit more leeway for intellectually disabled athletes.

Yeah that was rubbish. The Malaysian bloke had already broken the WR, prior to the rain break.

Kind of takes away from all the good sportsmanship we’ve seen amongst athletes, thought there would have been a bit more leeway for intellectually disabled athletes.

No other country protested apart from Ukraine. That tells you their motive. It's very unsportsmanlike.

Something that has been really nice about the coverage of both the Olympics and Paralympics is the focus on celebrating what has been achieved rather than being disappointed about what hasn’t been. It’s set a really nice tone for both events that has enhanced how enjoyable they have been. We often complain about what broadcasters get wrong in sports coverage so I just thought I’d point out that this is definitely something they have gotten right.

Out table tennis team has done great. It is a pity though that the players that grew up here and have been through our systems were not the ones that got that success. Would have been nice for one or two of them to do well....maybe we got a minor medal or two with them? I think it was around 1984 since our last gold at the Paralympics.

Out table tennis team has done great. It is a pity though that the players that grew up here and have been through our systems were not the ones that got that success. Would have been nice for one or two of them to do well....maybe we got a minor medal or two with them? I think it was around 1984 since our last gold at the Paralympics.
One Aussie born player snared silver. The one with a Germanic name.

Gold rush in the pool tonite with Will Martin breaking his fly world mark. Ben Hance has a new backstroke PR to his name and a gold to put round his neck while Rachel Watson joined the two men with her win in the 50 free. As far as I know these are the first Paras for the three swimmers.

Awesome nite for Aussie table tennis with Li Na Lei and Quin Yang taking gold. These two ladies along with male team mate Li Ma went looking for a better life after representing their native China and found our friendly nation. Kinda glad they did. In her post match interview Li Na said she was "proud" to represent her new country, that she "found freedom" and the Aussie team were "like family".

Last edited:
Our table tennis team.. men and women fell at the final hurdle taking silver in both events in their class.

Brilliant legs by Will Martin and Ben Popham snares Aussie silver in the 4x100 medley to round off a superb 33 medals: 8 gold, 10 silver and 15 bronze. Martin was the star Dolphin of the Games supported by a large group of talented young Para swimmers.
A special shout out to Ellie Cole who broke Priya Cooper's medal record after which she has announced her retirement. You did us proud Ellie.

King Curtis McGrath doubles up with gold in the canoe sprint.
As for the level of calmness under pressure of McGraph listen to the story of when his legs were shattered by a bomb in Afghanistan. While his Aussie soldier mates tried to stem the blood flow to save him from bleeding to death, McGraph who was drifting in and out of consciousness, tried to calm them with the words ''now I can make the Paralympics". An incredible true story evidently.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back