Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by masai
Shane Parker is known for his love of going for a run. Do you think it would be to the teams advantage for him to be released from backline duties now and then to run from the wing ?.

Shane Parker is a top shelf tagger and probally second to only Ports carr followed closely by our own Carr.
He is rarely beaten and shut down many of the games stars.Taking him off the big name players and putting him on the wing would too more bad than good.

Not that I think he is well suited to go there, but I also don't think there is anybody to replace Parks if you place him permanently on a wing. It is better to have him making the occasional dash off the halfback line - he is always up for this.

He has always fought out of his division (often in reverse - taking on quick and mobile smalls like Fido Matera and Jeff Farmer). With Pav "permanently" at CHB and the introduction of Luke McPharlin, Parks may be allowed a bit more freedom.

Re: Re: Parker

Originally posted by sabre_ac
Shane Parker is a top shelf tagger and probally second to only Ports Carr followed closely by our own Carr.
:confused: :confused:

I watched the majority of Freo's games last year, and I never saw Parker being used as a tagger. And Carr was only used there once against Buckly. Both of them would get killed by Cuzz, Camporeale, Voss ect.

Parker is a quality HB Flanker though. Despite his kick-in problems.

Parker is one of those players who gets little plaudits from the media but is highly regarded by opposition players.

I like him around the half back area, and if the full back line is solid he will be able to more rebounding off the half back line through to the wing area.

Buzz does anyone know how to kick out ?, it's not just Parker. The position of Full Back has been forgotten and now any Jo Blow takes the kick in, I just want to see Con Regan grab the boys by the throat at training and shown them the rules of kick out.

Just keep Shane away from little brother Dan !!!!.

Are you sure?

Buzz, Parker tagged Buckley out of the game last year.He was used on guys like Matera and co.Are you sure you went to our games????

Originally posted by masai

Just keep Shane away from little brother Dan !!!!.

Poor old Dan, my mates used to call him "Dancin'" Dan Parker cause every time the ball came near him he would start dancing.

I guess I would not put Shane on the wing myself. Given the changes in the squad I hope this season he won't have to keep manning up on the most dangerous opponent. Maybe give him a lesser opponent and give him the nod to run off the bloke when he see's an opportunity. Can't hurt to try on the odd occasion.

Buckley

Wasn't it Carr on Buckley round 17 Subi, who performed a commanding task shutting him down?

If Parker was on Buckley in Round 2 the job was very much unfinished.

Yeah, I thought it was Carr who played on Buckly.
And although Carr did a great job, it was pretty obvious that Bucks was struggling with his knee that night.

I'm not saying that either of them are crap players, but Sabre's claim that they're up there with the best taggers in the league was a little strange.

One guy who I think would make a good tagger is Troy Longmuir. He's got a bit of mongrel about him, and pays close attention to his opponent. Would just need to work on his endurance.

You need someone, because if you put Parker or Carr on Cousins in Round.1, then you might as well just chalk in 40+ possessions for him already.

In reality I don't think Carr or Parker would match up Cousins, it would more likely be a "nuggety" player to negate and then try and use another player to develop momentum. eg. a player like Dodd (injured?) to negate and Hazelby to work off them.

Interesting comment about TLo, when he's been fit he looks very damaging and may fill the hole left with Blacks departure, long kicking.

Parker is a good honest worker with some toe, but I don't see him as a midfield tagger.

Happy Aus day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back