ripitup27

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2005
Your Place
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Chapman Express
In what has become a long winded debate throughout my uni years, I would like to ask everyone here what they call the humble chicken parmigiana.

I'm a parma man, always have been always will be. Screw all of you who say parmi!

In what has become a long winded debate throughout my uni years, I would like to ask everyone here what they call the humble chicken parmigiana.

I'm a parma man, always have been always will be. Screw all of you who say parmi!

You answer your question right there.

You don't actually pronounce it parmi-giana though. It's parma.

Main Entry:
par·mi·gia·na Pronunciation: \ˌpär-mi-ˈjä-nə, -ˈzhän; ˈpär-mi-ˌzhän, -ˌzän\ Variant(s): or par·mi·gia·no \-ˈjä-(ˌ)nō\

Pronouncing it Pa-ma-ja-na is not correct. It's Pa-mi-ja-na.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying Parma is un Australian

When Australians shorten (or lengthen) names we always put an ee or y or i sound on the end.

Examples: Boony, Juddy, barbie, footy,

Instead of Boona, Judda, Barba, foota.

I reiterate, saying Parma is un Australian.

:rolleyes:

good on yA

;):D

Parma ftw.

Funny that you South Australians wanna stick the "ah" sound into everything but not 'parma'? ;)

Main Entry:
par·mi·gia·na Pronunciation: \ˌpär-mi-ˈjä-nə, -ˈzhän; ˈpär-mi-ˌzhän, -ˌzän\ Variant(s): or par·mi·gia·no \-ˈjä-(ˌ)nō\

Pronouncing it Pa-ma-ja-na is not correct. It's Pa-mi-ja-na.

The correct Italian does not emphasise the 'mi' and saying 'parmi-ja-na' would be incorrect.

Papa G said:
When Australians shorten (or lengthen) names we always put an ee or y or i sound on the end.

Brett Lee ---> Bing ---> Binga
Cop ---> Copper
Damien ---> Dimma
Sandwich ---> Sanga
McDonald/s ---> Macca/s
Jonathon ---> Joff ---> Joffa

Saying Parma is un Australian

I reiterate, saying Parma is un Australian.
That's incorrect. When confronted with an ee / ey / y sound (or any vowel really), Australians tend to eliminate it and allocate a different vowel.

For example, Alan Toovey is Tooves (although that is not a vowel, but an elimination).

Is Andrew Mackie, "Mackeeeee mate, what's hangin'?", or is it Macca? It obviously has to be the latter, otherwise you lose the typical Australian folkiness.

Barreeeee Hall is converted to Bazza.

Similarly, the parmiiiii needs to be Australianised to parma.

Therefore, calling it a "parmy" is un-Australian.

Edit: You beat me to it BG! :p

That's incorrect. When confronted with an ee / ey / y sound (or any vowel really), Australians tend to eliminate it and allocate a different vowel.

For example, Alan Toovey is Tooves (although that is not a vowel, but an elimination).

Is Andrew Mackie, "Mackeeeee mate, what's hangin'?", or is it Macca? It obviously has to be the latter, otherwise you lose the typical Australian folkiness.

Barreeeee Hall is converted to Bazza.

Similarly, the parmiiiii needs to be Australianised to parma.

Therefore, calling it a "parmy" is un-Australian.

Edit: You beat me to it BG! :p

Is that why Victorians pronounce their own capital city as Malbun?

Back