List Mgmt. Part 3- And on it goes: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not my thinking. Ryan and Willie could be considered HBF's under such a rationalization. Masten and Kennerley are wingman. If Masten has played as a HBF, it's as a stop-gap, not much more. If WC are to draft a HBF, I'd prefer a dedicated HBF, not a make-shift version.

WC finally came to understand that they should draft actual small-medium forwards to play in such roles, rather than mids playing roles they're not suited or used to. It worked well. I hope that doesn't change for HBF's. No more failed mids being slotted in there, please.

Failed mids?

Like Butler, Sheppard, Duggan, Cole, was hoped Hurn would progress to the midfield.

Is Hodge, Burgoyne and Mitchell failures?

There are some pretty decent backs who used to play midfield when they were younger or didnt quite reach the required fitness levels.

I agree with your thoughts here.

I'd love to see Hurn deliver 2 more solid years of service. What I don't want to see is WC wait until Hurn announces his retirement before they draft another HBF. Drafting a HBF now provides said HBF 1-2 years development. Then upon Hurn's retirement, said youngster is in a position to compete for the vacancy, whilst a 1st year rookie realistically wouldn't be.

Also, it's not just Hurn's age that needs to be considered. Jetta's jelly calves didn't hold up well this season, and they're not likely going to get better in subsequent years. So further delaying the drafting of a HBF wouldn't be a good idea, especially if some good options to fill such a role are available at WC's picks in the 20's.

Hurn's replacement has already been drafted and is playing.

Just like we drafted Kennedy's replacement last year x 2.

And we drafted Le cras replacement.

Its called list management. We invest probably over $1m a year min in doing just that.

21. Ely Smith (Murray Bushrangers)

H: 188cm, W: 86kg

Only played one Under-18 championships game but in that game he became the only player to win more disposals than Sam Walsh. He collected 30 disposals, 18 contested possessions, nine clearances and laid five tackles.

SAM SAYS: Stoppage star was rushed in for Vic Country’s last game and then raced to the finish line with a strong draft combine. Bullocking midfielder is on the fringe of the first round.

Plays like: Josh Kennedy (Syd)

17. Xavier O’Halloran (Western Jets)

H: 187cm, W: 83kg

Rated elite for goals and goal assists at the Under-18 championships, where he gained 24m per disposal. Seven of his kicks inside 50 were marked while no other player registered more than four.

SAM SAYS: The Vic Metro and Western Jets captain is regarded as one best leaders his TAC Cup club has recently come across. Only needs a handful of disposals to do damage but could slip outside the first round.

Plays like: Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

14. Xavier Duursma (Gippsland Power)

H: 185cm, W: 71kg

Contributed all over the field for Gippsland. Fourth-highest rated player in TAC Cup, winning 23 disposals and was the only midfielder to rate elite for intercept possessions, score involvements and goals.

SAM SAYS: Seems likely to fit in the 15-30 range after a year punctuated by consistency. Shades of Callan Ward.

Plays like: Elliot Yeo (WC)

Any two of Eli Smith, Valente, Duursma or O'Halloran would be really good solid pick uos.

Add Cameron and thats bloody nice drafting for the reigning premiers!

I think O'Halloran will be gone by our pick. Smith and Valente I'd still give a slight chance. Duursma a very slight chance but a chance nontheless.

Hurn's replacement has already been drafted and is playing.

Just like we drafted Kennedy's replacement last year x 2.

And we drafted Le cras replacement.

Its called list management. We invest probably over $1m a year min in doing just that.
Who might that be ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who might that be ?

Duggan. Always been captain material and half back looks like his best position.

Also have the likes of Nelson who is described as one of our best kicks internally (surprising I know).

Watson is highly rated. Rotham is a third tall defender. One of Waterman or even O Allen may end up as half back.

Dont discount Matty Allen either.

Duggan. Always been captain material and half back looks like his best position.

Also have the likes of Nelson who is described as one of our best kicks internally (surprising I know).

Watson is highly rated. Rotham is a third tall defender. One of Waterman or even O Allen may end up as half back.

Dont discount Matty Allen either.
I like Duggan, doesn't take a backward step. Just his disposal is woeful at times.

O'Halloran is definitely a chance to be there. His volume is pretty poor, according to the stats.

I think there have been 24 or 25 invited to the draft and he isn't one of them.

Think clubs are moving towards high impact rather than high possession players.

I mean Tom Mitchell has been setting disposal records and won a Brownlow but look where that got the Hawks this year. Beneficiaries of a soft (7-12 side) draw and bundled out in straight sets again.

We won the flag this year despite regularly being outnumbered by the opponent in terms of disposal numbers.

Think clubs are moving towards high impact rather than high possession players.

I mean Tom Mitchell has been setting disposal records and won a Brownlow but look where that got the Hawks this year. Beneficiaries of a soft (7-12 side) draw and bundled out in straight sets again.

We won the flag this year despite regularly being outnumbered by the opponent in terms of disposal numbers.

He only averaged 13 touches at the champs. Assuming he played midfield (which may not be the case I suppose) then that's pretty low.

He only averaged 13 touches at the champs. Assuming he played midfield (which may not be the case I suppose) then that's pretty low.

Yeah doesn't matter how good your are by foot, if you are getting it about 13 times as a midfielder you just don't have the required volume to impact games.

I don't follow the U18 champs so someone else has to fill me in on whether he was a midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back