Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Well, it'll be a long season for him..
The Cats made such a big deal talking it up as a 'family and kids' club (post Kelly failed trade), yet Kelly complained he wasn't getting enough support in that area.
And they're talking up how he's settled back in now and they're confident he'll turn it on this season?
Surely he wouldn't play badly and degrade his brand and trade value etc?
Even if he doesn't want to be there, he's being paid to do a job and it's part of being a professional sports person.
I wonder now, are we overvaluing Kelly, is he really a required player for us..or just a convenient fit if it all went our way? We threw a bit at his trade, but that was then, has the moment passed and we'ved moved on with what we have?

I think you are reading far too much into one JLT game.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It wasn't so much about his performance in the JLT game, was talking about Kelly in general...but you're certainly right about over-analysing most stuff at this stage...

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Well, it'll be a long season for him..
The Cats made such a big deal talking it up as a 'family and kids' club (post Kelly failed trade), yet Kelly complained he wasn't getting enough support in that area.
And they're talking up how he's settled back in now and they're confident he'll turn it on this season?
Surely he wouldn't play badly and degrade his brand and trade value etc?
Even if he doesn't want to be there, he's being paid to do a job and it's part of being a professional sports person.
I wonder now, are we overvaluing Kelly, is he really a required player for us..or just a convenient fit if it all went our way? We threw a bit at his trade, but that was then, has the moment passed and we'ved moved on with what we have?

There has been some talk of fresh abuse directed at his spouse on social media ..

It appears requesting a trade has really upset Geelong fans more than usual in this case ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL

I forgot to mention that Simmo got Hutchy to run with Kelly so plenty of respect by the MC ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Clark reminds me of Guy McKenna when he first played. Mature beyond his years. Claremont have produced some very good back men over the past 25 years.
I have been watching Clark for a while and he is not just a HBF. In fact, he played more midfield minutes early with Claremont Colts and moved to the HBF role with the U18 WA team as he was needed him there and there were plenty of midfielders. As a junior, he played HFF and midfield.

When he made his WAFL senior debut, he played mainly on the HBF but had time on the wing. Looking back, his glandular fever came on late in the year and probably stopped him from running out the midfield minutes.

I discussed this with Mick Grasso (he was at a game as a Doggies recruiter) and he agreed that he is more than a flanker and that he saw most likely a midfielder who was flexible both ends. I was rather disappointed he was rising late in the year as Monocle and I discussed him at a Claremont game and both saw potential top end talent. Prior to his seniors debut, he went from being around one of picks in the second round to a mid first rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Classic Freo playing out their recruiting strategy in the public eye already talking about Cogs. Not to heap unwanted pressure on the player or anything. ******* amateur hour. How many times have they done this and come up empty handed?

Vosso would of played the bunt to perfection on that question.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Sorry I just don't believe that ;) , haven't you heard he is off to play at North Melbourne along side Dusty Martin and Andrew Gaff.

Oh wait.......... The Could of Been Champions............ The North Board has been on the money, with their Done Deal predictions , so...........so ................... few times.:p

Their supporters don't actually get it, they genuinely think their Club is a "Destination Club" whereas in reality their Club is a "piss ant" Club and players only ever engage in dialogue with them about moving their way, in order to significantly hike the offers up from their current Clubs.
Good negotiating ploy, never the less, from the players Managers ... bring in the Blue and White schmucks ...... to test the waters , kick the tires all in order to lure more coin out of the Club that their players are renegotiating with ........ always look for the self interest, managers are greedy bastards and they will use a sucker every day.
Bit harsh on North!
They did land Hall, Pittard and slow as fck Tyson.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
surely I’m not bias to think that Liam draft would be a top 20 pick if we did a redraft of the 2017 draft. Apparently knightmare doesn’t rate him.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I have been watching Clark for a while and he is not just a HBF. In fact, he played more midfield minutes early with Claremont Colts and moved to the HBF role with the U18 WA team as he was needed him there and there were plenty of midfielders. As a junior, he played HFF and midfield.

When he made his WAFL senior debut, he played mainly on the HBF but had time on the wing. Looking back, his glandular fever came on late in the year and probably stopped him from running out the midfield minutes.

I discussed this with Mick Grasso (he was at a game as a Doggies recruiter) and he agreed that he is more than a flanker and that he saw most likely a midfielder who was flexible both ends. I was rather disappointed he was rising late in the year as Monocle and I discussed him at a Claremont game and both saw potential top end talent. Prior to his seniors debut, he went from being around one of picks in the second round to a mid first rounder.
He's such a gun!
Constable looked good too, he's going to make a lot of clubs look very silly. Including us.

30stm

All Australian
Feb 24, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Strictly speaking, I think what we offered Geelong for Tim Kelly works out to be Nathan Foley, Bailey Williams and Sydney's 2019 2nd rounder.

Anyway, long story short, I think offers to Geelong were overly generous. It was probably a blessing in disguise that they didn't take it.
100% agree - so glad we got Bailey Williams ahead of them.
Compensate for the 2017 draft
with T Kelly.
In hindsight the 2017 draft- very happy with O Allen pick - a very level headed 2 gamer campaigner ;)

Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't just snap our fingers and "poach" Clark. Has got a 2 year initial contract and doesn't strike me as the homesick type.

English is gettable, Kelly is obviously gettable, Cogs at a long stretch is gettable, but unlikely.

I've read Clark has a bit of FIGJAM about his as well so happy for him to stay at Geelong.

Coniglio would be great but I can't see us fitting him in a cap and being able to retain talent long term, expect him to end up at hawthorn. Redden had an awesome finals series, Shuey, Yeo and Gaff are genuine A Graders. I think our midfield isn't too bad and we've got some decent talent coming through.

English is the big one for mine, a couple of years from being an A grade ruck IMO, some of the cleanest hands I've seen from a young ruckman. Reckon he'll be a star and ruckmen of that calibre seem rarer than A grade mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back