List Mgmt. Part 3- And on it goes: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy for English to see out his contract for this year and next, just as long as we make a play for him after.

Rate him very highly and need a genuine quality successor for Nicnat in a few years.

Let Vardy, Hickey and Nic hold the fort until English is available and then throw the sink at getting him and shoring up our ruck for the next 8-10 years.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm happy for English to see out his contract for this year and next, just as long as we make a play for him after.

Rate him very highly and need a genuine quality successor for Nicnat in a few years.

Let Vardy, Hickey and Nic hold the fort until English is available and then throw the sink at getting him and shoring up our ruck for the next 8-10 years.

English wont peak for another two years. Then we grab him.:thumbsu:

The Gtrain

All Australian
Oct 31, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely he wouldn't play badly and degrade his brand and trade value etc?

NOt sure he would do it on purpose, but having a wife and kids living in a place when they don't want to be there... This has a huge effect on current state of mind, energy and overall wellbeing. This is what would be turning him off, surely it didn't help the first game back of the season was against the club you wanted to go to and got very close (in his mind)..

Some Cats posters interested in Oscar for Kelly.

Wonder why?:think::p

They will all of a sudden work out why we rated him highwr than Kelly.

Who laughs last laughs the longest

Was interesting they still call him a great young talent, he's 25 this year so he's not in the young bracket anymore.

For context other players who are the same age as him are McRae, Wines, Whitefield, Stringer, Grundy, Daniher. Jaeger and Viney.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
NOt sure he would do it on purpose, but having a wife and kids living in a place when they don't want to be there... This has a huge effect on current state of mind, energy and overall wellbeing. This is what would be turning him off, surely it didn't help the first game back of the season was against the club you wanted to go to and got very close (in his mind)..

And getting tagged by the comps 'premier' tagger wouldnt help.:)

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
He's such a gun!
Constable looked good too, he's going to make a lot of clubs look very silly. Including us.
Don’t wind me up on Ainsworth- I was spitting when we took him at 32 when Constable was still on the board. Argghh

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
The purple turds think they have a chance to get Coniglio. Makes me laugh.

I love the way we remain silent. I expect we will have held talks with his agent and avoid playing out negotiations through the media.

So how could we make an attractive offer when our cap is tight?

• length of contract - Cogs will be 26 in December and I’d back him for 6 years taking him through to just before he turns 32
  • More in the back end - JK and Hurn signed for another 2 years and NicNat will get a salary cut so not much scope. Masten and Jetta would probably not be renewed to allow us Cogs. That should free up a fair amount.
  • Extend some of the newer guys locking them in on the lower side. The likes of Rioli, Venables, Ryan, Cole are options here.
  • Hutchings and Cripps not likely to be on big dollars so no big pay days but likely to keep us at the pointy end and another flag is quite a motivation.
  • Redden gets extended with minimal increase - go out another 2 years.
  • Go to Gov and ask him to extend 1 year and shift salary to later.
So it won’t be easy but I think we could make space.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know how they'll get Cogs when they'd have to offer him more money than they were able to offer Neale. Sandi can't be taking up that much cap space.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Don’t wind me up on Ainsworth- I was spitting when we took him at 32 when Constable was still on the board. Argghh
Add Worpel to that.. Still cant believe we overlooked those two for an overager who looks like he has the combined weaknesses of the other two. Can’t kick (negatives on Worpel predraft) and slow (Constable). As good as our recruiting has been lately.. we still find a way to have at least one head scratcher per draft.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
Add Worpel to that.. Still cant believe we overlooked those two for an overager who looks like he has the combined weaknesses of the other two. Can’t kick (negatives on Worpel predraft) and slow (Constable). As good as our recruiting has been lately.. we still find a way to have at least one head scratcher per draft.
For me the jury is still out on Ainsworth. I wasn't happy when we took him. He was a prolific ball winner in u18's but kept on turning it over. He does have strengths as well as weaknesses. Can find the ball, good inside, tough as nails, great endurance and appears to know and stick to the game-plan. If only his kicking could become serviceable he might be a solid cog in the machine. He's not a fashionable player but he does have some positives and may be okay.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins

I was just as surprised/annoyed when we took him over “The Worpedo” and Constable. But I’m willing to give him more time to change my mind, given the injured finger he has been carrying that has just been corrected. Hopefully now he can start hitting targets being able to hold the ball properly and perhaps this finger injury was preventing him from working on his upper body strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lolbert

Team Captain
May 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I was just as surprised/annoyed when we took him over “The Worpedo” and Constable. But I’m willing to give him more time to change my mind, given the injured finger he has been carrying that has just been corrected. Hopefully now he can start hitting targets being able to hold the ball properly and perhaps this finger injury was preventing him from working on his upper body strength.
There are reasons why the whole competition passed on Constable and Worps. As you've said, we have to wait to see whether it was the right decision, but a big part of our recent success is culture, and Ainsworth worked his Ains off to put himself in draft contention with a really strong year and outing at the U18s carnival (Not unlike Foley). By the sounds of it, Constable could find the ball but was lazy and unfit. Seems like 12 months in the rez has worked for him though.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know how they'll get Cogs when they'd have to offer him more money than they were able to offer Neale. Sandi can't be taking up that much cap space.

McCarthy will be on good coin. Remember he faked a year off football to get to Freo so must have stumped up decent coin for him to do that. $600k pa comes to mind.

He may not even get a contract next year. 2020

McCarthy will be on good coin. Remember he faked a year off football to get to Freo so must have stumped up decent coin for him to do that. $600k pa comes to mind.

He may not even get a contract next year. 2020

He's faked being a footballer for most of his career to date

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Dillon O'Reilly is on the cards before the March 15 cut off for new draftees ....one WA team and two interstate teams still showing interest . The WA team has been following O'Reilly's progress , I'm guessing it's Fremantle for sure but they have no picks left ..Very surprising if we draft O'Reilly I think we have enough forwards maybe as a defender :think:.

Last edited:
Dillon O'Reilly is on the cards before the March 15 cut off for new draftees ....one WA team and two interstate teams still showing interest . The WA team has been follow information O'Reilly's progress , I'm guessing it's Fremantle for sure but they have no picks left ..Very surprising if we draft O'Reilly I think we have enough forwards maybe as a defender :think:.

Is that Steven O"Reilly's kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back