Status
Not open for further replies.

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Add Worpel to that.. Still cant believe we overlooked those two for an overager who looks like he has the combined weaknesses of the other two. Can’t kick (negatives on Worpel predraft) and slow (Constable). As good as our recruiting has been lately.. we still find a way to have at least one head scratcher per draft.

I dont think our recruiters are particularly good at picking mids, much better at KPP

They seem to try abit too hard with mids and overlook the 'obvious'

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Add Worpel to that.. Still cant believe we overlooked those two for an overager who looks like he has the combined weaknesses of the other two. Can’t kick (negatives on Worpel predraft) and slow (Constable). As good as our recruiting has been lately.. we still find a way to have at least one head scratcher per draft.

Ainsworth shot up the draft order because of his pace. So him being slow is an outright counter factual statement.

Constable is genuinely slow and Worpel is a crash and bash midfielder. Ainsworths decision making and creativity in close was some of the bests in his draft group up there with Dow and Cerra.

If he cleans up his kicking after this finger problem then he's a much more balanced player than either Constable and Worpel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ainsworth shot up the draft order because of his pace. So him being slow is an outright counter factual statement.

Constable is genuinely slow and Worpel is a crash and bash midfielder. Ainsworths decision making and creativity in close was some of the bests in his draft group up there with Dow and Cerra.

If he cleans up his kicking after this finger problem then he's a much more balanced player than either Constable and Worpel.

I hope you are on the money. He seems like a good kid.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont

In comparing inside mids, Constable was not slow but lacked endurance. His pace is more like Tom Mitchell and Patrick Cripps and they don’t have pace issues

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
The purple turds think they have a chance to get Coniglio. Makes me laugh.

I love the way we remain silent. I expect we will have held talks with his agent and avoid playing out negotiations through the media.

So how could we make an attractive offer when our cap is tight?

• length of contract - Cogs will be 26 in December and I’d back him for 6 years taking him through to just before he turns 32
  • More in the back end - JK and Hurn signed for another 2 years and NicNat will get a salary cut so not much scope. Masten and Jetta would probably not be renewed to allow us Cogs. That should free up a fair amount.
  • Extend some of the newer guys locking them in on the lower side. The likes of Rioli, Venables, Ryan, Cole are options here.
  • Hutchings and Cripps not likely to be on big dollars so no big pay days but likely to keep us at the pointy end and another flag is quite a motivation.
  • Redden gets extended with minimal increase - go out another 2 years.
  • Go to Gov and ask him to extend 1 year and shift salary to later.
So it won’t be easy but I think we could make space.

Hurn and JK only signed one year extensions is my understanding. To 2020.

So yep Masten and Jetta will retire in the next 2-3 seasons say 2021 at the latest. Same with Hurn and likely JK.:(

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
In comparing inside mids, Constable was not slow but lacked endurance. His pace is more like Tom Mitchell and Patrick Cripps and they don’t have pace issues

Well they are objectively slow, but they make up for it. Only the very best can do that (ie Sam Mitchell)

Cats nervous about WA clubs getting in Clarke's ear. Trying to extend his contract before playing a game.

Kid can play too.

Not that uncommon. We did the same thing with Brander last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Disagree watching Constable in TAC cup he was treacle slow.
How do we want to measure slow? Foot speed but s whole heap more. Decision making, weaving through traffic, hands, boot to ball, tackles,

Constable’s game was never based on the need for acceleration but my mail was the key reason he slid was endurance, or lack there of. Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps, and other inside first ball get mids never get assessed on their pace. They are bills and they go all day. Sounds like Constable is building up. Not saying he will definitely be an A grader but I believe he will have a better AFL career than Ainsworth. I hope to be proven wrong.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
How do we want to measure slow? Foot speed but s whole heap more. Decision making, weaving through traffic, hands, boot to ball, tackles,

Constable’s game was never based on the need for acceleration but my mail was the key reason he slid was endurance, or lack there of. Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps, and other inside first ball get mids never get assessed on their pace. They are bills and they go all day. Sounds like Constable is building up. Not saying he will definitely be an A grader but I believe he will have a better AFL career than Ainsworth. I hope to be proven wrong.
For a team that rates foot skills highly and have drafted accordingly ever since simpson arrived ainsworth seems a strange choice .
But..... this is the same recruiting team has just delivered us a flag so i guess you just have to trust them .
I do rate constable but he turned up to the draft camp without training and bombed it then had to do another 2km time trial days before the draft to show he had improved .

Big red flag that our club doesn't tolerate .
Its the same reason partington was delisted . Parto was doing everything in pre season and doing extra work and sessions then when he was not selected in the early rounds he stopped doing the extra work and sulked doing the minimum required .

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
agree Tim Kelly would have made a poor key forward..

Who are the Cats kp fowards BTW? Hawkins, Ratuglea.......? Taylor! Two over 30.

At the end of their careers injury permitting I think it will be quite clear why the Eagles rated Oscar above Kelly.

Decent mids v quality talls. Quality spine v quality mids, worked for us last season and the Pies dont seem to have any problems finding decent mids. Talls however is a different story.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Well they are objectively slow, but they make up for it. Only the very best can do that (ie Sam Mitchell)
People keep saying this - people who didnt watch hawthorn play - sam mitchell played most of his hawthorn minutes off a hbf.

Hed come into the midfield more at the end of a quarter when oppo guys were tired

chaddy22

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Who are the Cats kp fowards BTW? Hawkins, Ratuglea.......? Taylor! Two over 30.

At the end of their careers injury permitting I think it will be quite clear why the Eagles rated Oscar above Kelly.

Decent mids v quality talls. Quality spine v quality mids, worked for us last season and the Pies dont seem to have any problems finding decent mids. Talls however is a different story.
You missed the point of my post.Don't compare Kelly with allen.Compare allen with brander.Did we need both in the same draft.We won a premiership in 2018 with a average midfield and in 2006 we won a premiership with a gun midfield.It is a pity we can't get a better balance.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Ok right. Normal.?l.

Feel free to list draftees to get an extension post draft prior to round 1 in their first season!

Its not new but to say its normal is a stretch.
It happens a lot in their first season,early on too before they generally have shown a lot during actual games
To say geelong signed him because they are scared of losing him to a wa team with how long to go on his current contract is a bit of a stretch
Im sure any team wants to sign their promising youngsters to extensions as soon as possible

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
You missed the point of my post.Don't compare Kelly with allen.Compare allen with brander.Did we need both in the same draft.We won a premiership in 2018 with a average midfield and in 2006 we won a premiership with a gun midfield.It is a pity we can't get a better balance.

I think our midfield is criminally underrated and if any of our top 4 or 5 mids played in melbourne they be talked about as stars
We obviously have the most balanced list in the afl and im very happy with our main list
Like you said maybe brander and allen was overkill but it is our rookie list which left me scratching my head.drafting edwards and retaining mcinnes when some quality mids/utilities were still available was strange especially when we picked up brooksby to take mcinnes's role

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I think our midfield is criminally underrated and if any of our top 4 or 5 mids played in melbourne they be talked about as stars
We obviously have the most balanced list in the afl and im very happy with our main list
Like you said maybe brander and allen was overkill but it is our rookie list which left me scratching my head.drafting edwards and retaining mcinnes when some quality mids/utilities were still available was strange especially when we picked up brooksby to take mcinnes's role

Was Franklin and Roughhead in the same draft overkill?:think:I jest of course!:cool:

Commentator today was quoting I think it was Brad Johnson who would have taken Oscar with pick 1. Eagles took Brander but were shocked to have Oscar still there at 21. Especially after how they ranked him plus to what was still available.

Brander was also discussed as a tip 5 pick but was moved forward and back in his draft year.

You simply cannot ignor them. Especially with JK turning 32.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Think u missed his point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back