Gwaihir

Senior List
May 20, 2018
Heartland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wizards
Cripps ... is an absolute bull and felt awkward watching him ragdoll and swat away Sheed. Treated Dom w disdain.
Gwaihir Post #3,412 Jun 10, 2018

Looking forward to the Cripps v Sheed rematch. Dom be like.. "Whatever. I'm kind of a big deal around here. Get back to me when you've threaded a final minutes premiership winner."

Brownlow is wide open wout Tom Mitchell picking up his weekly cheap 50. What is Dom paying?

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
How we and the competition manage wingman with the new rules will be interesting from a list management perspective.

The two obvious wingman are Gaff and Masten which has predominantly been due to their massive tanks and ability to get into space.

What I saw from the JLT games was a new look wingman. A few things to consider:
1. The whole game is more spacious so naturally more emphasis on outside speed and ability to find space.
2. Wingers to start on oustide and not as defensive runners.
3. The new rule on the kick in may well see a new look winger.

hen Hurn kicks in from a full run outside the goal square, he is getting the ball about 20 metres passed the half way line. To start with, the kicks are more central as that is an easier one to think of but I expect to see more kicks to the traditional wing. Both OAllen and Brander had time as a winger in the JLT. I add into this equation Waterman and and Yeo and we have 4 players who are 190cm or above and are good overhead and have decent speed on the ground.

Where does that leave us with Kelly? Not needing him anywhere near as much since Gaff resigned and the new rule changes. Add that of our first two draft picks being most naturally a wingman (XON and Foley) and Sydney's second rounder looks like the right currency. Kelly is not as good overhead as any of the four talls that I have as possible wingers.

Oh and other teams will be kicking long so I see the Eagles overhead prioritisation as being an asset that could help us dominate by keeping the ball trapped inside out forward half.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
How we and the competition manage wingman with the new rules will be interesting from a list management perspective.

The two obvious wingman are Gaff and Masten which has predominantly been due to their massive tanks and ability to get into space.

What I saw from the JLT games was a new look wingman. A few things to consider:
1. The whole game is more spacious so naturally more emphasis on outside speed and ability to find space.
2. Wingers to start on oustide and not as defensive runners.
3. The new rule on the kick in may well see a new look winger.

hen Hurn kicks in from a full run outside the goal square, he is getting the ball about 20 metres passed the half way line. To start with, the kicks are more central as that is an easier one to think of but I expect to see more kicks to the traditional wing. Both OAllen and Brander had time as a winger in the JLT. I add into this equation Waterman and and Yeo and we have 4 players who are 190cm or above and are good overhead and have decent speed on the ground.

Where does that leave us with Kelly? Not needing him anywhere near as much since Gaff resigned and the new rule changes. Add that of our first two draft picks being most naturally a wingman (XON and Foley) and Sydney's second rounder looks like the right currency. Kelly is not as good overhead as any of the four talls that I have as possible wingers.

Oh and other teams will be kicking long so I see the Eagles overhead prioritisation as being an asset that could help us dominate by keeping the ball trapped inside out forward half.

Good observation with playing Brander and Allen on a wing. I have said for a while Ican see Waterman playing wing basically due to having so many good tall forwards. But why not rotate them all forward and wing, use their hieght, marking and running ability.

Kelly can play inside and forward so you would still get him.

I can see JK missing week 1 and we play both Allen and Brander because they are flexibke but also to cover some rotations for Gov and to a lessor extent Barrass.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Kelly to replace Masten next year.
Masto will be feeling the heat. Sheed showed he can play the role, Smith plays the elite runner runner (will hold judgement on his kicking), we drafted youngsters XON and Foley as outside mids, and then Brander/Waterman/Allen all look like they could do a turn. Yeo may be needed elsewhere but he was born to play the role in a new rules era

Can’t see Masto chewing up much on the salary cap in 2020.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I reckon our draft board would of been
#Hunter, O’Brien, Stephenson as first choices
#Brander if he was Available and Stephenson and Hunter weren’t
# O Allen is all others where taken
Allen, Brander, Ryan and Petrol for picks 13,21,26 and 37 is a seriously good haul and in one swoop we practically regenerated out forward line for the future

I reckon our draft board would of been
#Hunter, O’Brien, Stephenson as first choices
#Brander if he was Available and Stephenson and Hunter weren’t
# O Allen is all others where taken
Allen, Brander, Ryan and Petrol for picks 13,21,26 and 37 is a seriously good haul and in one swoop we practically regenerated out forward line for the future

That pick swap with Gold Coast in 2017 never ceases to amaze me especially since we were so heavily criticised for it at the time

For the cost of our 2018 first round pick (and pick 50 in the 2017 draft) we’ve been able to recruit -
Oscar Allen
Liam Ryan
Jack Petruccelle
Luke Foley
and as a cherry on top we swapped our 2019 third round pick for Sydney’s second rounder

Quite the haul for what would have been pick 18 before FA compo/academy bids and ended up as pick 22

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
That pick swap with Gold Coast in 2017 never ceases to amaze me especially since we were so heavily criticised for it at the time

For the cost of our 2018 first round pick (and pick 50 in the 2017 draft) we’ve been able to recruit -
Oscar Allen
Liam Ryan
Jack Petruccelle
Luke Foley
and as a cherry on top we swapped our 2019 third round pick for Sydney’s second rounder

Quite the haul for what would have been pick 18 before FA compo/academy bids and ended up as pick 22

Reading the trade thread for this trade has been a guility pleasure of mine. It starts as: "gee I dunno big risk for WC and GC could make out like bandits" to mid year "it looks good for WC at the moment but you could still tumble down so don't get cocky" to finally "this seems fishy it needs to be reported to the AFL."

Before it was just Ryan before but now with Oscar and Petro Jelly showing some real potential it's just looking better and better.

For the nostalgia:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...or-gold-coast-picks21-26-37-2018-2nd.1180482/

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont

Oscar Allen
Liam Ryan
Jack Petruccelle
Luke Foley

Stephen Wells disagrees with you Keys.

Picks around 20 are not valuable according to the Corio Bay experts.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Read on facebook apparently the Dockers are back in the hunt for Tim Kelly.

After last year i actually couldn't care less if we land him or not. If Kelly goes to Freo we can focus on Cogs or keep our draft picks. No biggy.
I think we have to wait and see how his season goes,he'd still be a good get either way but depends on the price.
Gogs should be the 1st priority anyway but should cost heaps more

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if he has a 's**t' season compared to last year (probably more scrutiny on his disposal this year i'd say...)

He'd still be a good addition to the side one way or another. He's a class player and a goal kicking midfielder.

Ave 23 touches and kicked 24 goals in his debut season. Those are ridiculous numbers for a first season.

That being said, we don't need him and i'd have no interest overpaying.

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Kelly has a preference for West Coast as in 2016 we were Keen to rookie list Kelly ....we didn't for some reason but we kept in touch through 2017 . Fremantle in this period showed Zippo interest and this is the reason he wanted to go to West Coast , now he said recently ( last few days ) that Fremantle is a possibility especially with Peter Bell in charge .

See what happens .

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Kelly has a preference for West Coast as in 2016 we were Keen to rookie list Kelly ....we didn't for some reason but we kept in touch through 2017 . Fremantle in this period showed Zippo interest and this is the reason he wanted to go to West Coast , now he said recently ( last few days ) that Fremantle is a possibility especially with Peter Bell in charge .

See what happens .
Because we took one of the dumbest selections of all time instead

1552787456551.png

Think some people forget that Tim Kelly has displayed such good form in his rookie year because he is Michael Barlow Mk II - a mature age body in a side desperate for one last tilt at a flag. It would be more surprising if he was pulling 18 year old rookie numbers.

He will turn 25 this year and would be 26 by the time we have him - might get maybe three or four years of top level football from him. If we do part with draft picks it should be a late first rounder/second rounder, and no more, for an out of contract player that won't see more than half a decade of service with us.

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Whisper ....Coniglio wants to return to WA and to West Coast however the Giants offer will be too big to beat ( turn down more accurate )

Freo will have the money and they should invest , Coniglio would be such a good player for any club and Freo will have the money .

Last edited:

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Whisper ....Coniglio wants to return to WA and to West Coast however the Giants offer will be to big to beat .

IF he wants to return to WA that may discount his 'acceptable offer' - could be a good thing for us.

Shed McInnes from our list and we'll save mega bucks - fitting Cogs into salary cap done.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Cripps ... is an absolute bull and felt awkward watching him ragdoll and swat away Sheed. Treated Dom w disdain.
Gwaihir Post #3,412 Jun 10, 2018

Looking forward to the Cripps v Sheed rematch. Dom be like.. "Whatever. I'm kind of a big deal around here. Get back to me when you've threaded a final minutes premiership winner."

Brownlow is wide open wout Tom Mitchell picking up his weekly cheap 50. What is Dom paying?

Shame we don't have Alec Waterman around anymore. Watched him manhandle Cripps with a huge tackle in the colts, gave him a mouth full of turf.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Read on facebook apparently the Dockers are back in the hunt for Tim Kelly.

After last year i actually couldn't care less if we land him or not. If Kelly goes to Freo we can focus on Cogs or keep our draft picks. No biggy.
Kelly is a massive turnover merchant. It will be like recruiting wellingham all over again . Overpaying for a frustrating player who will get dropped for poor disposal .
Freo can have him and if geelong think we were hard to deal then it should be fun watching them deal with the purples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back